Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:35 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
RAM 1500 4WD gasser toad question

Have a new 2015 RAM 1500 4WD with 8 speed electronic transmission which I want to rig as a toad. Am aware of transmission and transfer case procedures, BUT what do you do with the electronic push button ignition to keep the steering wheel from locking up the alignment of the front tires? It appears to lock up if the ignition is turned off, and with all the electronic gizmos in that truck I wouldn't want to keep battery power on for long trips. Further I am not sure it will stay powered up in accessory mode more than a short time, it stays on maybe 15 minutes, and then shuts off.

This may be the same scheme as in the Jeep product line.

I don't want to be scuffing off the front tires with locked steering, so am looking for some experience here.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-25-2016, 04:33 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Larrikin-

What does your owner's manual say?

l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:38 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
That's the problem, it does not address the issue. Calling my service advisor didn't help, he was clearly advising from the same page as the manual, but reading from his computer.

I am hoping to find someone with personal experience who can tell me what is happening with their steering when they tow with the electronic key system.
Old 03-29-2016, 07:57 AM   #4

I have a RAM as well that I may set up soon (been thinking about it for some time) and believe the RAM's steering wheel doesn't lock.

Has anyone received further answers?

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 03-29-2016, 06:30 PM   #5

I have a 2015 Ram that I'm setting up to tow. The steering wheel doesn't lock.
Old 04-01-2016, 01:37 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I have a 2014 Ram 1500 that I have been towing for 2 years. The steering wheel does not lock on mine. I worried about that at first so I coasted down hill to get the tires moving and wrestled the steering wheel around with the ignition off. Never had a problem.

By the way, I am going to trade it in if I can find a smaller toad since I no longer have to tow a camper as well as being a toad. Looking for buyers or trades.
Old 04-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin View Post
Have a new 2015 RAM 1500 4WD with 8 speed electronic transmission which I want to rig as a toad. Am aware of transmission and transfer case procedures, BUT what do you do with the electronic push button ignition to keep the steering wheel from locking up the alignment of the front tires? It appears to lock up if the ignition is turned off, and with all the electronic gizmos in that truck I wouldn't want to keep battery power on for long trips. Further I am not sure it will stay powered up in accessory mode more than a short time, it stays on maybe 15 minutes, and then shuts off.

This may be the same scheme as in the Jeep product line.

I don't want to be scuffing off the front tires with locked steering, so am looking for some experience here.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Larrikin,
First off, as you found out, most Service advisors DON'T HAVE A CLUE! The technology on may of these vehicles now days is changing so fast that, even the techs have a pretty hard time keeping up with it. But, if your owners manual does not address a potential issue when towing, and no one at the dealer can help accurately, I'd go right to the Factory Rep. Get him/her to dial in the factory and see what the people that created that vehicle have to say about the issue, if there is one.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 07:44 PM   #8

I got my Ram set up last week and looking forward to doing a test run with my coach. I was speaking to someone today who told me their Chevy vehicle adds Mileage to the odometer while being towed. Does anyone know if the Ram adds mileage while towing?

2013 Scion XB toad

Old 05-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #9

I just bought a 2016. I have towed it about 5 time. My steering wheel does not lock.
REV40C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:04 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Re Ram and speedometer while being towed: My 2014 4wd 1500 did not add mileage while being towed. The reason it can be towed is due to the transfer case being in neutral so no movement in the driveline beyond that takes place and as far as I know, the odometer runs off something in the transmission (unless you are towing a VW bug that ran the odometer/speedometer off the left front wheel).

Just sold my Ram back to the dealer and bought a Subaru Forester to tow.
Old 05-06-2016, 06:47 AM   #11

Kip J
Thanks so much for the information on the odometer! I had a Forester about 10 years ago and it was an awesome vehicle!

2013 Scion XB toad

Old 05-08-2016, 12:40 PM   #12

I was able to successfully follow the steps for flat towing and all seems great. No issues going into neutral and the vehicle rolling freely.

When shifting from the flat tow mode to the normal drive position I have a slight clash of gears when it engages. Is that normal? Seems like it would be as the transmission is going from being free to engaged in a gear.

2013 Scion XB toad

Old 05-08-2016, 01:54 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I think the clash is normal. I think I figured out a way to keep it from clashing but can't remember for sure. It is the transfer case probably having square cut gears and the engine input is moving while the drive line is stopped. Don't know if you can shut the engine off and get it to engage the transfer case, but that might do it.

Tags
gas, toad