Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2006, 06:02 AM   #1

Does anyone know if a Rav 4 (5 speed, 2 wheel drive) will rack odometer miles while dinghy towing? If I turn the key to accessory and then back off, it appears the steering wheel does not lock until I pull the key. There is no power to the vehicle. I haven't been able to try turning the key on and then off under tow & don't want the wheel to lock whle towing. Any help would be appreciated. am
ketchcolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2006, 06:02 AM   #2

Does anyone know if a Rav 4 (5 speed, 2 wheel drive) will rack odometer miles while dinghy towing? If I turn the key to accessory and then back off, it appears the steering wheel does not lock until I pull the key. There is no power to the vehicle. I haven't been able to try turning the key on and then off under tow & don't want the wheel to lock whle towing. Any help would be appreciated. am
Old 04-22-2006, 02:55 PM   #3

What year do you have on this RAV4. I have a 1998 and it does not turn over miles with the key in accessery. Toyota owners rep told me the manual transmission can be towed with all four down. Have towed mine over 40K with no problems. Keep an eye on the front shocks. Key should be in ACC which is between off and Ign on my model. Steering wheel will move in that position, but turn off radio etc. I have gotten to the point where I disconnect the battery on long trips to avoid drain.

Ford V10
Rapid Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 01:37 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I tow a 2000 Rav4 2WD 5 Spd 4 down, prior to buying it I checked with Toyota and they stated indeed it was towable 4 down. Procedure to tow is simole and straight forward. Transmission in neutral, emergency brake off, key in ACC and away you go. The key must be in accesory as to provide power to the Brake Buddy. The odometer does not rack up mileage.
BTW I tie a small piece of white mataerial to the top of the steering wheel to provide an indicator as to what the front end is doing...

Retired Navy Mustang 06
2003 Winnebago 35U W22
Toyota Rav 4 Toad
Brake Buddy

Sugar & Spice our Shih-Tzus
Captain Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 03:16 PM   #5

Thank you for responding. Our Rav 4 is a 2005.
Old 05-16-2006, 03:44 PM   #6

Off subject, but funny. Our inlaws pulled a Nissan truck for about 2 years. It turned the odomoter. On one trip, because of that, they got just a little over 1000 miles per gallon. They had issues though. The steering was loose, and several times, the front wheels got all the way to one side and they flat spotted the tires. Another time, they were flying down I10, thinking they were hearing a weird noise. They finally decided to stop and check, and found that they had left it in reverse. The tires were smoking even after they stopped, and there were two long black lines that dissapeard over the horizon on the freeway surface.
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote