Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #1

RAV4 Toad survey

I know that you are not supposed to tow an Automatic Toyota on all fours,but has anyone tried it with a used Rav4 that is beyond the warranty? Or any other older Toyota?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-23-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Given the transmission lube pump design on Toyotas I think the transmission would burn out in short order.

Bruce Dickson 2013 Thor Challenger 37GT, 5 Star Tune, Safe-T-Plus Steering Control with Air Trim, Roadmaster front and rear Sway Bars, SuperSteer rear Track Bar, Crossfires, 2012 Honda CRV on Blue Ox Aventa LX tow bar. Full timers since Jan 2012.
bdickson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2013, 06:41 PM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I tow a Tacoma with a Remco drive-shaft disconnect. I would not recommend it. The disconnect is a piece of junk with nothing but problems on every trip. We are currently shopping for a new toad that is 100% towable.

I have spent more on repairs and parts than what the disconnect cost. The last one was the yoke bearing shot with 15,000 miles of use.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 02:17 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice. If I go with Toyota, It looks like I will have to get a used one with a manual transmission!
Old 11-24-2013, 02:21 PM   #5

Carolina Campers
If you want an older car or a newer car perfect for flat towing, trade your Toyota in on a new or used Honda CR-V. That will solve your issue for sure.
Old 11-24-2013, 02:36 PM   #6

Entegra Owners Club
Even the manual transmission is not recommended for towing. Something about a gear that does not get lubricated. After towing a Toyota for 3 years, I would not recommend a Toyota as a toad. They're great on the road, it's getting them there that is the problem.

Toyota drive lines are not designed for towing. Toyota will tell you that and when you go against their recommendation, the drive lines do break. I am on my third rear transmission seal.
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #7

RE: RAV4 towing....

As for Toyota manual transmissions/axles being strong enough, we've flat-towed our 2001 RAV4 AWD manual transaxle for ~40000 miles & the car is still running strong [now with ~155000 miles]. BUT, as always, YMMV....
Old 11-24-2013, 07:16 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
We pulled both our 86 toy p/u (5-speed, 4x4) for a couple of years. Then we pulled our 00 tundra but had to disconnect the rear u-joint....not a big deal, just got tired of crawling under the truck. So we decided that we would get a new car that was towable....preferrably at Rav4 or Highlander. Well, we found out real quick that Toyota does NOT make ANY of their vehicles for 4-down towing. Bummer, as we have always been a Toyota owner (still have the trucks plus an Avalon).

So, started researching and finally narrowed the list down to a CRV or Terrain/Equinox. Due to the unique styling, we chose the Terrain over the CRV and Equinox as every other motor home is pulling either a jeep or CRV. Had BIG doubts on the reliability of the GMC, but after three years and 45000 miles, it has been absolutely problem free....I mean nothing has ever gone wrong with it.

So my point is, Toyota's are fantastic autos, but don't be afraid to check out others...most are just as good.

Ron
Old 11-25-2013, 08:03 AM   #9

Toyota Corolla, Matrix, Yaris and pre-2012 Camry with manual transmissions are all towable 4 down with no modifications.
Old 11-25-2013, 08:18 AM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
We towed a 96 Rav4, 5-speed AWD for about 40k miles... no problems.
TurtleKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2013, 09:33 AM   #11

To BROBOX, am I correct in stating that the broken drive line you mentioned would not apply to a RAV 4 since it is front wheel drive (except for an AWD)? Or do the front wheel drive Toyota Ravs (manual..not counting the Camry, corolla, etc) have a similar problem when towing four down?
Old 11-25-2013, 07:56 PM   #12

A couple of years ago I went to the Toyota wanting to buy a Rav4 to tow and was told Toyota did not make a smaller towable 4X4 so I ended up with a 4X4 CRV. I have no idea if anything has changed.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad