Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-01-2016, 08:13 PM   #1

Readi-Brake for Tow Vehicle?

Just bought my first tow vehicle to tow behind my 2002 Holiday Rambler Ambassador. My tow vehicle is a 2011 GMC Terrain. I am now searching for a tow bar and braking system and was wondering about the Readi-Brake System. Positive or negative comments would be appreciated. It seems to be the simplest of the systems, Thanks
Thumpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thumpeister, I just installed this system to tow our Terrain. I have about 500 miles so far on this set up and have been very pleased. I have a blue ox base plate. Just make sure you follow all the GMC instructions on flat towing the Terrain.
Old 10-01-2016, 09:06 PM   #3

When we changed to 2012 Terrain we also changed our tow set up from a ReadiBrute to a Roadmaster Falcon all Terrain and and M & G braking system and brake away. I felt more comfortable with the operation and no cables. Towed brakes no longer come on to just activation of exhaust brake on decline. I know it could probably be adjusted out but I was never certain.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:05 AM   #4

Not sure I understand activation of exhaust brake on decline? Does that mean the cable is being activated by touching your coach brakes on a decline? I appreciate your comments as right now, I don't have a clue to which one to go with.
Thumpmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:34 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's really a simple idea. Every time your motorhome is slowing down enough to overcome the spring in the ReadyBrute surge brake, the brakes on your toad are activated. Which is why you have a brake system on your toad in the first place- to slow it down when your motorhome is slowing down. If both your RV and toad are moving at the same speed, the toad brakes are not activated.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:40 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I highly recommend the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake! I also use their breakaway system!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:45 PM   #7

Another vote for readybrake have really liked mine no problems and good customer service
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumpmeister View Post
Not sure I understand activation of exhaust brake on decline? Does that mean the cable is being activated by touching your coach brakes on a decline? I appreciate your comments as right now, I don't have a clue to which one to go with.

Yes, when you put on your coach brakes the 'surge' brake (after all that's what it is) on the reedibrake applies your toads brakes. That's what you want it to do. But when going down a long hill with your compression brake or exhaust brake on, the brakes on your toad could be applied the entire descent. Even if you are just trying to hold a constant speed. Could cause damage to road brakes.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 05:27 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
Yes, when you put on your coach brakes the 'surge' brake (after all that's what it is) on the reedibrake applies your toads brakes. That's what you want it to do. But when going down a long hill with your compression brake or exhaust brake on, the brakes on your toad could be applied the entire descent. Even if you are just trying to hold a constant speed. Could cause damage to road brakes.
I don't see how this could happen. If you are going at a constant speed, the surge brake would not be activated. The only time the surge brake activates is when you are slowing down your motorhome enough for the pressure of your toad pushing against the RV to overcome the resistance of the spring in the ReadyBrute surge brake. If both the toad and RV are moving at the same constant speed the surge brake does not activate.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:00 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We are on the second toad with our Ready Brake. Moved it from our '94 Geo Tracker to our '15 Jeep Wrangler. Easy to install yourself if you are handy with tools.

The system is truly simple. It works a lot like boat trailers. If it is pushing forward harder than it is being pulled the cable pulls down the brake pedal.

Be sure to also buy the Ready Stop emergency cable. It will pull the brake pedal down and hold it down in the event that the toad becomes loose.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:29 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I installed a switch on toad brake pedal. This shows me when Ready Brake has moved enough to cause toad brakes to be applied. I have never seen this light come on with Exhaust Brake use. I need to apply some motorhome brake to get this light to come on.
The indicator light supplied with Ready Brake does not indicate that cable has been pulled enough to apply brakes on toad. Only indicates that cable arm has moved off it's resting place.
In order to properly setup Ready Brake. It is best to install some indicator of toads brake pedal position.
Old 10-08-2016, 09:37 PM   #12
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I highly recommend the NSA ReadyBrute Elite towbars with built-in ReadyBrake! I also use their breakaway system!
I am looking at the Elite closely. In the occasion you need to back a few feet will the brake activate?
Old 10-08-2016, 10:14 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
I installed a switch on toad brake pedal. This shows me when Ready Brake has moved enough to cause toad brakes to be applied. I have never seen this light come on with Exhaust Brake use. I need to apply some motorhome brake to get this light to come on.
The indicator light supplied with Ready Brake does not indicate that cable has been pulled enough to apply brakes on toad. Only indicates that cable arm has moved off it's resting place.
In order to properly setup Ready Brake. It is best to install some indicator of toads brake pedal position.
I would like to hear/see more about the switch you installed on the toad brake pedal..... I love our Ready Brake this will be the 3rd MH we have used it on.. It is mounted on a 96 Tracker

Thanks LeeB
LeeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2016, 10:29 PM   #14

25,000 miles with the Ready Brake and no issues. Works great!

Tags
tow