Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-31-2012, 09:50 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
The only reason I can think of for not buying one is you have no toad?
I will second that.. I have read a few posts where folks had a hard time with the initial install due to the design of the towed, But frankly.. I'd rate this as one of the best systems.. most all the complaints I have on other systems this one addresses and addresses them well.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2012, 10:08 AM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmckinley View Post
"Brake" - gizmos that slow or stop vehicles.

"Break" - to render something inoperative.
"Break" 2. to temporarily avoid posting at iRV2 for a while. e.g. ''Take a break! Its dinner time!
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 10:14 AM   #17

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by lms1943 View Post
We used our Ready Brake tow system this past weekend for the first time, all is GOOD. My only issue is that I'm towing a Mini Cooper and need a 8" drop to level the tow bar, which will drag on almost any incline. Options are trade my Mini which I really like or selling the tow bar and purchase a dolly
If you add a 6" drop hitch, an additional 2" drop difference from hitch to base plate should be acceptable.

My 6" drop hitch never drags, but I have skid plates mounted on the bottom of my receiver.

I assume you have the manual trans Mini Cooper?

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 03:12 PM   #18

I've done two CRVs with this setup. A 99 and a 07. things are a little cramped, it is much easier if you can put the car on blocks.

I just sold one of the Hondas and added the setup to a gmc canyon truck. A little more room to work vs a Honda but almost the same install.

Take your time and don't rush where you drill your holes!
swreeder70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 04:16 PM   #19

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I installed a ReadyBrute Elite tow system and a ReadyBreak brakeaway cable on my 2012 Smart car. Even though I had to remove the front wheels and all of the facia panels forward of the doors, it was really easy.

The Demco baseplate came with detailed photo instructions and the instructions for the ReadyBrake are very clear. I also opted to skip the indicator light. All this seems like swatting flies with a bazooka for an 1800# toad, but I want to be legal in every state.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #20

I didn't install it myself, but I have it on my 2011 CRv and I love it. No problems. Femal traveling alone and it is easy for me to hook up and un hook.
dimedance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Ims1943
Make an adapter and mount the ready-Brake cable on the hood. Only the wire needs be in-line. Think about it.
garyspang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 06:16 AM   #22

Ready-Brute and 2011 Honda CRV

Update on my Ready-Brute/2011 Honda CRV install:
I bit the bullet and had Mid-State RV in Byron, GA perform the installation. They had never installed one, but agreed to 400-500 dollar estimate. It ended up being $510.00. They did a great job and installed the cable in the CRV (most of the work), the breakaway cabling and the dash monitor. Super easy to hookup. I drove from the dealer and so far so good. Works well. If you're traveling along I-75 and need service I highly recommend Mid-State RV in GA. They said the entire installation took six hours, but it was their first experience with this type of system
Old 02-25-2012, 08:39 AM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
One happy customer here. Did the whole install on the 2007 Wrangler in one day. Total cost ... $1400. Not had one problem yet. Would highly recommend.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:07 PM   #24

National RV Owners Club
davismills, I just installed a ready brake on my 2011 CRV. It took about three hours but I have not yet run the wiring for the dash brake like. I'd think the five to six hours they charged you for installation would be about right.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 03:31 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Only took me about two hours to install the Ready Brake, another 2 hours to run the wire from it to the dash.

Instructions said to secure the wire every few feet but they only sent 4 wire-ties, had to stop and go to town for more.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 05:39 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Th DW and I have been considering the readybrake on our Chevy Colorado. I think this thread has convinced us it is the way to go. We found a mail order site with a good price, so are going to order it. Thanks for all of this input

Glenn
Old 02-25-2012, 05:51 PM   #27

National RV Owners Club
I was having a hard time figuring out where to drill the hole near the brake pedal for the cable. I called tech support and asked it they had a template or suggestions as to where to drill the hole in a 2011 CRV. The tech said the newer CRV's can be a real challenge but he did suggest a location for the hole and told me to be very careful with the drill because of items on the other side of the firewall. I drilled the location he suggested without problem. There is a rivet point near the left of the brake pedal and he suggested about 1/2 inch to the left and about half an inch above that rivet. This comes out in the wheel well and it was very easy to run the cable from that point. The hardest and longest part of the job was determining where to drill. I won't be using the RV for a month or so but will send a report if I find anything of interest about the system that has not been said by other members.
Safe Travels
Bob
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn and Kathy View Post
Th DW and I have been considering the readybrake on our Chevy Colorado. I think this thread has convinced us it is the way to go. We found a mail order site with a good price, so are going to order it. Thanks for all of this input

Glenn
Don't know what price you found, but you can get it here ReadyBrake Towed Vehicle Supplemental Brake System INCLUDING SHIPPING

for about $350 and free shipping. Its where I got mine.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake