Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-03-2012, 05:41 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Ready-Brake

Does anyone use the ready-brake surge brake for towing? It seems that it is a pretty simple design and easy installation. I would like any comments, good and the negative about this brake control before purchasing.
thanks

tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2012, 06:53 AM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have a couple of friends that have the Ready Brake system and are very satisfied with it. One is towing a Ford F150 Quad cab pickup and the other is towing a Jeep Wrangler. I wanted one as well but the installation on my toad would have been a nightmare to say the least. I opted to go with the Brake Buddy. Hope this might help.

Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:29 AM   #3

I have about 10,000 miles on ours since installing it and love the absolute simplicity in the way it functions and while hooking up or disconnecting it. Nothing electronic to mess with/be concerned about, no concern about how much power it's using, and nothing in my way if we need to disconnect in a hurry.

Highly recommend the system.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:42 AM   #4

It is simple and inexpensive and a lot of people like it, but it comes with trade offs. Drawbacks I saw when considering a ReadyBrake:

There's no toad braking until the weight of the towed vehicle overcomes both "an oil filled shock absorber and a 250 lbs spring before it will activate." I believe that smaller MHs (like our Winnie View) need supplemental toad brakes that come closer to negating any extra load on the MH’s brakes.

ReadyBrake does not recharge the toad's power brake vacuum booster so after a few brake applications, you no longer have power brakes on the toad. You can add a vacuum pump for $220 but it works off the toad's battery.

ReadyBrake’s optional breakaway requires adding a second cable to the toad’s brake pedal.

ReadyBrake’s RV-dash-mounted brake indicator only lights up when the actuator arm on the Ready Brake moves far enough to allow the magnetic switch to light the LED light on the motorhome dash. "In light braking situations, the LED may not illuminate as there may not be any movement of the actuator arm." Also if the toad’s brake pedal cable should become disconnected, the RV dash indicator light will continue to light even though your toad brakes aren't activating.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:47 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Thank you Steve and ahicks! That is what I liked when reading about it, the simplicity of it. I called the place in Kansas and talked to the guy there and he seem really nice and explained how the Ready Brake works. I have checked ebay and a brand new one there shows quiet abit of savings. Thanks viewtoa.thrill, that is also good to know about the power brake booster.
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Hello, I intstalled the Ready brake Brute. I really like it. I installed the two light bulbs in the tail lights so I don't have to worry about using electric on the toad.
It's a nice system.
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by view2a.thril View Post
It is simple and inexpensive and a lot of people like it, but it comes with trade offs. Drawbacks I saw when considering a ReadyBrake:

There's no toad braking until the weight of the towed vehicle overcomes both "an oil filled shock absorber and a 250 lbs spring before it will activate." I believe that smaller MHs (like our Winnie View) need supplemental toad brakes that come closer to negating any extra load on the MH’s brakes.

ReadyBrake does not recharge the toad's power brake vacuum booster so after a few brake applications, you no longer have power brakes on the toad. You can add a vacuum pump for $220 but it works off the toad's battery.

ReadyBrake’s optional breakaway requires adding a second cable to the toad’s brake pedal.

ReadyBrake’s RV-dash-mounted brake indicator only lights up when the actuator arm on the Ready Brake moves far enough to allow the magnetic switch to light the LED light on the motorhome dash. "In light braking situations, the LED may not illuminate as there may not be any movement of the actuator arm." Also if the toad’s brake pedal cable should become disconnected, the RV dash indicator light will continue to light even though your toad brakes aren't activating.
The vacuum is just not necessary for the brake to function as it should in most cases. If you were pulling a 5000lb vehicle with a Class B, that might be a different story. A 3500lb vehicle will be carrying plenty of inertia to apply the brake pedal without any trouble. This is no different than any other surge brake system, including those used on dollies....

The shock absorber keeps the brakes from applying in something like a downshift scenario. A quick jerk. It will not interfere with a smooth steady bake application in any manner. In a panic stop, I don't think it going to be any slower than a servo motor or other electronic application as they all have built in "damping" as well. The spring is to keep the brakes from applying while you're going down hill. No big deal in either case, a 3500 lb vehicle will have no trouble overcoming either/both any time brakes are required.

If you're concerned about the timing/sensitivity of the standard brake light indicator, you could tie that indicator light into the toad's brake light circuit pretty easily....
Old 09-03-2012, 04:36 PM   #8

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
Ready brake is a simple mechanical system . I changed the dash indicator to function via the toad brake lights )
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:29 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
I installed the optional brake lights in the toads tail lights. How would you install the Brake indicator light to these?
ScottsJourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 06:44 AM   #10

Just tie into the toad's brake light circuit? All you need would be that one wire run forward to your indicator light. The other side of the indicator light would be run to ground anywhere. The motor home and toad are already grounded together. That's required to get the other lights working on it?
Old 09-04-2012, 07:34 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I found an old used utility trailer light, wire it to a 4 pin trailer connector. I plug the 4 pin connector into the toads trailer connector, run it through the rear hatch and lay the light on the dash. I can see it in the rear view camera. I can compare the dash indicator with the actual brake lights.
Works for me anyway.

Jerry

Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote