Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
If your safety cables are not long enough you can add a short chain link on one end to supplement them.
Txs...unit came with 15" cables which I can use. I have the pull cable but not the firewall groumet , bumper groumet or the brake pedal attachment. I'm putting on a HHR are these something I can buy at a auto store or Home Depot? If not I'll see if Readybrake will sell separately.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
ReadyBrake should be willing to sell separately, if not you could fabricate the grommets from PVC and purchase the small clevis for the brake pedal from an auto parts or farm supply store.

Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 09:47 AM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadeaux View Post
ReadyBrake should be willing to sell separately, if not you could fabricate the grommets from PVC and purchase the small clevis for the brake pedal from an auto parts or farm supply store.
Already on order...seemed the safest way to go.
Old 06-29-2011, 01:34 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Almost done as this is RB3000 it requires the older dash lite kit for my 2007 HHR. It is to be wire directly into the brake light switch. I've located the switch and it has 2 wires one red and the other purple. I can't get my tester to the back of the wires and wondering if anyone can confirm red is 12 volt and the purple would feed the brake lights when the pedal is depressed (where I need to tap into). I called Chevy and they were not very helpful and I don't fit very well under the dash so I'd like to make it correct the first time. Txs
Old 06-30-2011, 07:20 AM   #19
JDT

We use a Protect-A-Tow with our Blue Ox Aventa tow bar. Does the Ready Brake system increase the distance between the motorhome and the car too much to use it? We just sold our 08 Acadia and bought a new one. Sold all our towing stuff, including the SMI Air Force One braking system, with it so have to start over. Ugh. I loved the SMI and may do it again but the simplicity of the Ready Brake looks tempting.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 09:23 AM   #20

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
Almost done as this is RB3000 it requires the older dash lite kit for my 2007 HHR. It is to be wire directly into the brake light switch. I've located the switch and it has 2 wires one red and the other purple. I can't get my tester to the back of the wires and wondering if anyone can confirm red is 12 volt and the purple would feed the brake lights when the pedal is depressed (where I need to tap into). I called Chevy and they were not very helpful and I don't fit very well under the dash so I'd like to make it correct the first time. Txs
Rec'd answer from another forum member. I was tapping into the wrong wires, just next to these wires is another connection with several wires running off, there are 2 blue wires, the outside blue wire off the block was the one. All working fine now, took 1st road test and on normal braking the little HHR doesn't push hard enough to activate the Readybrake. I've got some Mountains coming up next week so it should get some type of workout then. Txs for all the input.
Old 09-01-2011, 06:59 PM   #21

Hi, just got on this forum. I am going to get the Ready Brake system but am wondering if anyone has tackled the cable routing through a 95 jeep wrangler with a 4 cyc engine. Seems to me that getting it around the radiator could be a challenge unless is can go below all of that.
If someone has done this, shoot me a note
Old 09-02-2011, 09:31 AM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDT View Post
Does the Ready Brake system increase the distance between the motorhome and the car too much to use it? We just sold our 08 Acadia and bought a new one.
We have only towed the car we have and never used anything other than the Blue Ox and ReadyBrake/ReadyStop but we never had any issue with the small added length with the ReadyBrake.

The Tracker is so light we could probably get away with no brake but feel safer and better about legality with it.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 09:30 PM   #23

I found another rver who has used the ready brake for 3 years and is sending me his modifications that he says makes installation much better. Waiting to see. The price is sure right versus some of these systems that are $1200 plus! I like simple is always better and mechanical systems generally are far more reliable.

Love the forums and the RV community.
Old 09-03-2011, 12:58 PM   #24

Readybrake

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpatters1229 View Post
Hi, just got on this forum. I am going to get the Ready Brake system but am wondering if anyone has tackled the cable routing through a 95 jeep wrangler with a 4 cyc engine. Seems to me that getting it around the radiator could be a challenge unless is can go below all of that.
If someone has done this, shoot me a note
I have'nt used readybrake on my Wrangler, but there is plenty of room, I installed US Gear because I took it off my old Saturn when I towed it. take that cable under the rad and through the bumper, should be no problem.
I know I'm going to get ready brake when I outfit my new toad (Buick Regal)
Old 09-13-2011, 02:07 PM   #25

Workhorse Chassis Owner
We love our Ready Brake Brute. Brake and tow bar all in one. Very simple and most important to us not too expensive. We lived in a motor home for 5 years and never towed due to the high cost of other brake systems. We rented cars a few times.

Ready Brake has been great. We have the wireless brake monitor and Tow Mate wireless brake light bar on our Jeep Cherokee. We bought the whole ball of wax for about what a brake system alone would have cost, not counting the tow bar cost etc.

One small modification I made to the remote brake monitor was to tap into one of the brake light wires at the brake light. I then ran a few feet of wire forward to a place that is out of the way and then when we tow I hook the sense wire to it with a knife splice. The reason I did this is because there was very little run under the dash to access the brake light switch wires.

The Tow Mate light bar has also worked very well. No extra wires to run or hoop up just turn it on and stick to the top of the Jeep.

Happy towing.
Old 09-14-2011, 02:00 AM   #26

Ready Brake

I am going to get the ready brake and for the brake light indicator I am going to hook up a small led light bar that will hook up from the brake lights and mount on the top of the window on the jeep wrangler. I have a video monitor that sits right above my head which I can see out of the corner of my eye and I figure it will catch my eye when I brake and see the light come on. IT will keep me from having to run all kinds of wire and is cheap and direct indication.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:20 PM   #27

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree that you have a very simple and inexpensive way to monitor the brake function. I wish I had thought of that before buying the wireless brake monitor.
Happy camping.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:33 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For those who have not yet ordered their Ready Brake/Ready Brute system I suggest you check out Trailer Hitches, Trailer Hitch Bike Racks & Trailer Hitch Accessories | Hitchsource.com, they had by far the best price for the Ready Brute Elite system, $828.00 + $16.00 shipping (to where I live). I ordered it on a Sunday and it was on my doorstep Wednesday when I got home from work.
I have it all hooked up, (Ford Focus w/BlueOx baseplate) but found I need a 2" hitch drop which I just ordered from hitchsource.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote