Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2011, 04:49 PM   #1

Smile Ready Brake

Decided to order the Ready Brake after seeing a lot of positive reports on the system.Have an 06 Jeep Liberty and was wondering if anyone has installed it on a Liberty. Thanks in advance for any input you might have
starbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2011, 05:27 PM   #2

Sorry no jeep, but works well on HHR
wkdwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 09:42 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Don't have the ready brake system.. Don't have a jeep, but I can tell you the number of problems I expect you will have.

NONE

There are some systems that by their design are very good and this one is very high on that list.

My favorite system is the US-Gear Unified brake decelarator.. however in truth.. If I were doing it over (which I hope to be soon) the Ready brake may well be the way I go... I will list the advantages of both here.

Progressive.. US gear: Uses a sensor to sense how fast the motor home is slowing down and the faster it slows the harder it brakes

Ready brake.. The harder the towed pushes against the motor home the harder it brakes

Proportional: You set it manually on the US gear,, IT's automatic on the Ready brake (See last comment about harder-harder)

The US gear gives you the option to either disable towed braking (Turn gain to zero) or engage independent of the Towing vehicle brakes.... (Ready brake does not do this)

It has a break-a-way feature (I do not know on the ready brake)

The US gear is a complex electrical/electronic system

Ready brake is KISS personified (Keep It Super Simple is the polite translation)
Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

Ready brake

Thanks, everything I hear has been positive. Will give it a try
Old 02-02-2011, 07:22 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I use the Ready Brake and like it, the simplicity is what initially intrigued me.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 07:29 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:05 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
If you haven't purchased your towbar they make one with the ReadyBrake built as a part of the towbar. A much neater and easier to use system.

Good luck.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:45 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
I live near were the ready brake system is built. So I went in person to talk to the owner (real nice and honest person). He is selling or will be selling a brakeaway system that is simple just like the ready brake system. The owner showed me the new device which a small box about the size of a small match box. I believe it cost $100.00.
09Challenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 03:36 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Get a Ready Stop break away at the same time especially if you intend to install it yourself. The cables are routed in the same general area so you can cut the install time running them together. Both are simple, they yank the break pedal down when needed.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 05:49 AM   #10

thanks for the info really appreciate the help
Old 06-22-2011, 01:49 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm picking up a used readybrake. It appears that it will add about 13" to my existing system did you have to replace the chains/light plugin or can they be extended? This unit doesn't have the dash light indicator how necessary is this as well? Txs
Old 06-22-2011, 04:14 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
I researched all the systems as well, the ready brake is the simplest, least expensive way to go. I used it on my '05 wrangler and now on my '08 HHR. It is nice to have the brake light hooked up to see that the brakes are NOT dragging and the cable is NOT too tight.
wah864 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:28 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeeman View Post
I'm picking up a used readybrake. It appears that it will add about 13" to my existing system did you have to replace the chains/light plugin or can they be extended? This unit doesn't have the dash light indicator how necessary is this as well? Txs
The safety cables on ours reached. For the lights we bought a 5' extension from Harbor Freight. I never got around to connecting the light. Maybe this summer it will get added to my list.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:47 AM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
If your safety cables are not long enough you can add a short chain link on one end to supplement them.