Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-24-2013, 11:09 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Ready Brake and Ready Brute Elite

Just trying to finalize tow bar systems and a few questions on the Ready Brake system.

Has anyone used the ready brake with their Blue Ox Towbar?

Does the system apply on a steep downgrade?

What about when the exhaust brake is in use on a downgrade?

Can you back up at all? Even a few feet?

Is there a lockout?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2013, 11:46 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogpatch View Post
Just trying to finalize tow bar systems and a few questions on the Ready Brake system.

Has anyone used the ready brake with their Blue Ox Towbar?

Does the system apply on a steep downgrade? I have never noticed mine doing that.

What about when the exhaust brake is in use on a downgrade? Again, I have never noticed mine doing that.

Can you back up at all? Even a few feet? I would check with NSA RV Products with that question.

Is there a lockout?
Not sure what you mean here ????
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 12:28 PM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
The Ready Brake has to be matched to the tow bar type. A ball hitch type won't work with a receiver hitch type. The RB is designed NOT to come on deceleration, but only when brakes in RV are applied. There is a 250 lb. spring and shock that has to be compressed before cable is pulled. Putting a toad brake light monitor might be the best way to know when it applies.

No tow bar hook up is supposed to be backed up, your toad's wheels will almost immediately turn and skid. In addition, tow bars are only designed to pull, not push. The RB will probably not apply on a gentle reverse on level ground, but I wouldn't try to push the toad up an incline. As far as I know they do not have a lockout pin like a boat trailer's surge brake system.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:08 PM   #4

I have the ready brute tow bar / suge combination unit and ran two LED lights to the dash and mounted them side by side where both the DW and I can see them. One from the ready brute surge unit to indicate when it is activated and one from the toad that senses when the brakes are actually applied. NSA told me what little wiring kit to order to make that happen. It works great! Usually the ready brute surge indicator comes on first, then quickly followed by the toad LED light...that way I know everything is working correctly.

Sometimes just the toad light will come on if going over a big hump in a parking lot or somehting but not often and only for a moment.

Sometimes just the surge light will come on very briefly and not very often when the engine brake kicks in but not enough to be a problem at all.

It's a great system but realize I have the combo ready brute tow bar / surge system so I dont know how it would work with another tow bar....

Make sure to use a drop bar if needed so the surge and tow bar are nice and level.

As far as backing up you cant back up a flat tow toad with any tow bar can you?
Dont know of anything that the ready brute causes to contribute to not being able to back up.

Curt
MoonchaserTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2013, 05:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
We have a similar set up on our Jeep with LED signal that indicates when the brake pedal is moving in the toad. On a normal descent the engine brake will not activate the brakes. If you need to back up a few feet, it can be done, but its not pretty. I had to this trip and my wife had to be in the toad and hold the steering straight while I watched in the rear camera. Nothing I want to do often. If you already have a tow bar,they sell just the brake mechanism that fits between your MH and tow bar.
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake