Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-25-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

Ready Brake - brake cable install on 2015 Grand Cherokee

For you guys who have Ready Brake on your Grand Cherokee toads......
What path did you follow for the brake and breakaway cables from the brake pedal arm to the front of the Jeep ? Trying to locate the brake cable loop near the center - line of the tow bar. Is there room under the radiator to route the cable ? Breakaway loop not so critical.
Also, for wiring to tail-lights, were you able to pull thru the frame rail on the drivers side or ???

thx.

britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2016, 07:34 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
I will be watching your post since I am looking for the same info for the brake cable route.

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum

KenNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:30 AM   #3

Found a couple of videos. Blue Ox has one on base plate installation
NSA site has cable install on 2014 Grand Cherokee
Old 04-28-2016, 12:01 PM   #4

I don't have the GC, just a wrangler, so don't want to reply out of turn, but I wouldn't sweat the routing of the brake cable too much.

The brake cable runs through a sleeve similar to that on a bike, you route it around obstacles then fasten it down tight with cable ties. As long as you avoid sharp bends it's fairly easy to route. For me it was pretty much a straight run to the front, then a left-right jog to come out near the middle of the bumper. Just make sure the cable moves freely before and after you tighten everything down. The sleeve doesn't move during operation.

The breakaway could be more critical. This doesn't run in a sleeve, it's still fastened down, but is designed to pull tight when used (breaking the cable ties that hold it down), you have to make sure that pulling it tight doesn't bend or sever anything critical (like brake lines).

The breakaway does run to the drivers side connection area on your baseplate so it's a pretty straight run on most vehicles, pulling it tight shouldn't do too much damage. My thoughts are if the breakaway ever does get activated, I've probably got bigger issues than a little damage, the Jeeps probably a goner anyway, I'm just saving it hitting anyone else.

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM   #5

Britcon.

I just read elsewhere that you used to tow a Wrangler, so I guess you knew all that stuff

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 07:32 PM   #6

Steve.....yes we just traded the Wrangler - needed a bit more space for grandkids, and better highway characteristics.
I did the install on the Wrangler and it was pretty straightforward.
GC is a different beast. Guess I will figure it out as I go.
Thanks for posting.

Tags
brake, install