I installed a Ready Brake system back several years ago when they first came out. I really liked the operation of the system. I've been a fabricator type my whole life and when I saw how they wanted you to hook that up to the brake pedal and, also the method of adjustment in the link cable between the toad and the RV, I couldn't stop laughing. I mean, ARE YOU KIDDING ME???
Well, their operation in their braking system is great but, their hookup and attachment system SUCKS. So, I decided to alter it to my liking. Now, some of you might agree with what I did and some not, no biggie, that's why we live in America, so we can disagree without being put in prison. Anyway, most of you most likely don't care if that main cable that R/B wants you to "Permanently Bolt" to the brake pedal is constantly moving back and forth each and every time you apply the brakes while driving your toad.
Well, that's certainly up to you. It's your toad, set it up the way you like it. But on mine, I was not going to, 1st, have that hideous looking clamp abortion on my brake pedal and, 2, to have that cable system actuate every time we drove the toad, when it didn't need to be, WAS NOT GOING TO HAPPEN! So, the first mod I made to their system was create two, small pieces of Aluminum and attached them to my brake pedal arm. Yes, it's on there permanently but, it looks a zillion times better than their system.
Then, after setting up the cable housing between the fire wall and the front bumper, I created my own end on the cable using a tiny, 1" diameter pulley with the cable wrapped around it tightly and a swage crimped on the end. Now, when it came time to hook up for towing the toad, the dear wife reached under the floor mat, picked up that end, placed it in between the sandwiched aluminum pieces and put a spring loaded pin through it, DONE!
When not towing, she pulls the pin, takes a couple of wraps on the cable and sticks it back under the floor mat! It's completely out of site and, is not wearing and tearing on the inside of that cable housing, day in and day out.
Now for the second mod. R/B has a seriously hideous link cable adjustment method for in between the toad and M/H. A whole host of cable clamps, loops etc. Talk about hoaky.
So, time for a second mod. All that appears on the front bumper of the toad is a tiny loop of cable with a thimble in it. So, here's what I did for that link cable. I created a link cable with a loop and a thimble on each end but, in the center is a stainless steel turn buckle. When it comes time to hook things up for towing, I have two "clevis" fasteners, one on each end. One links up to the cable end on the front bumper of the toad and, the other links up to the actuator on the R/B unit.
Now, not only seriously cleaner looking but, infinitely more adjustable and, seriously easier to adjust if and when needed. The turn buckle has never, ever come out of adjustment on it's own. I adjusted it every once in a while due to changes in cable length, even though that was incredibly slight.
Again, many of you are quite happy with the way R/B shows you how to hook up their system. That's perfectly fine. I just wanted a cleaner, nicer, more appealing and as much as possible, a more "invisible" system when not in use. It's a preference thing.
I'm about to setup our new to us, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Auto with the same style of link-up and design. To me, it was fun setting it up that way and, I've had many like it so much that they changed theirs to look and operate like mine. Just some information here, if anyone's interested.