Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2015, 05:00 PM   #1

Ready Brake cable route Honda

Anyone use a Ready Brake system on a Honda (CRV, Element, Civic, etc..)? I am trying to find the best route for the cable on a first generation CRV. Right now it looks like I will come out of the firewall under the master cylinder and around the front of the engine, trying not to touch any pulleys or belts, then make turn down the front of the engine between the fans and the exhaust and under the radiator and out under the bumper.
falconbro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2015, 01:22 AM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

We use a CRV. NSA have a video online for doing it with a CRV since it has a double firewall. We had our mechanic do the install so are no help with how it was done.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:26 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
FalconBro - Are you doing the install?

I've been looking at that system for my 2001 Civic, and would like your impressions of the install and operation.

I've been running without brakes but would feel a little more comfortable with them.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 07:36 AM   #4

Jayco Owners Club
I had one of these years ago and really liked it. One problem is that I didn't like the way the cable hooked to the brake peddle. So, I drilled a hole in the brake peddle half way up to mount the cables connecter. This worked much better. Don't remember what RB used to connect the cable. Could be they don't want you drilling holes in the brake.
RWeigant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 06:05 AM   #5

I am doing the install myself. I will start that today. I looked it over good last night. The route looks simpler than I initially thought. If mine is a double firewall I'll have to figure that out. Probably drill a bigger hole in the inside and just secure to the outer firewall.

If you're not using a supplemental brake then I would strongly recommend that you get one. The liabilities you're taking on by not having one is big. If you get in a crash and don't have a system you may take a beating from the civil issues even if the crash isn't technically your fault. If you happen to be in a state where supplemental braking is required and you don't have one they will punish you way more than the cost of a braking system. Merely having the system installed and working will save you that headache. Not to mention shortening your stopping distance.

The base Ready Brake full kit is under 300 bucks at Walmart.com.

NIGHT SHIFT RB6000 Towed Car Brake System & Ac Rv - Walmart.com
Old 07-17-2015, 02:43 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
WOW - thats a good price. that puts it into my doable budget...

I looked at this system in the past. Is this the one you got, its a regular ball type receiver?

Post a lot of photos and keep me posted on the install.
Old 07-17-2015, 03:48 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I wouldn't worry about the double firewall, there's not that much space between them to worry about. The threaded end of the cable sleeve is more than enough to span between the 2 walls. I just drilled 1 hole for my install, stuck the end of the sleeve through and screwed the nut down tight. Works great.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2015, 07:06 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just ordered it on Amazon. $308 and free shipping.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:44 PM   #9

I have the surge brake system installed. It was easier than I expected and really works better than I expected. I don't have the break away system installed yet as I haven't figured out a good route for the cable and a good place to mount the cable locking device. I will say that the deal from Walmart.com provided a much better system than I expected. My firewall was a single layer so, that wasn't an issue. I have already drilled the hole for the break away system too so, all I need to do is figure out where to mount the cable locking device and I'll get that done. At this point I think I'll skip mounting the little light to the dash on the motorhome. I don't think I need it and we are starting to talk about getting a newer motorhome.

Here's the inside under the brake pedal. I noticed that the well for the brake master cylinder could be seen from the inside and I measured to be sure I didn't drill into the master cylinder.

This is the cable coming out of the firewall.

This is the cable coming out of the front of the car. I kinda wish that I had cut it another inch shorter but, it seems to work like a champ.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:22 PM   #10

One extra note.. the bolts they sent to secure the little plates and cable to the brake pedal were too short. I went to ACE hardware and bought some 1/4 inch, thread size 20, 3 inch bolts and they fit perfect. The cable needs to be a fairly straight run from the surge unit that goes in the hitch receiver to where the cable enters the car. It really can't go downward because the cable will hit the tow bar and there's no scenario where good things come from that. So, I pulled the cable from the firewall over the upper end of the engine compartment, around the top right corner of the radiator/condenser and down under the top portion of the bumper. The surge unit takes a couple of hundred pounds of pressure from the toad to activate. So, it won't be pushing the brakes every time you let off of the gas. The instructions say that you have to cover the inside end of your hitch receiver so sand and dirt doesn't get into the surge unit. You can just put a piece of duct tape or whatever. I'm going to look at it later today and possibly weld a thin plate over the back of the hole.

Tags
brake, honda, ready brake