Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2010, 06:24 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ready Brake feedback

I'm still considering my options for a brake system for a Jeep Cherokee pulled by an 03 Itasca Suncruiser. I'm mostly interested in brakes systems that stay in place in the towed vehicle.
I'm looking into the Ready Brake in addition to others. I see they have a breakaway as an option something I'd want.
Any opinions of Ready Brake? Thanks.
Magumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I am also thinking about installing a brake system on 09 HHR. Is the smi hard to install? I would also like to know if any other company makes one that stays installed on the toad. I have a 06 Allegro Bay gas.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:31 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are a whole lot of units that stay on the towed.. With many toweds, if your tow vehicle has air brakes M&G makes a lovely air/hydraulic system. it bolts between the brake booster and the master cylinder... Not all cars have room for it though.

US-Gear, Unified Brake Decelerator has all the advantages.. Porportional (Adjustable gain) Progressive (The harder you stop the harder it stops) activated by the brake pedal in the motor home or by a manual override. giving the driver FULL CONTROL of the unit with no muss no fuss. Keeps the towed battery charged.. Once installed it stays installed on the towed.

And that is just two systems.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the Ready Brake on my 09 HHR SS and use it with the Demco baseplate, Ready Brute Tow Bar and ReadyStop Break-away. I actually removed the Ready Brake system from my 06 HHR LS and re-installed it on the 09. The whole system is a fairly easy do-it-yourself in-the-driveway installation with basic hand tools.
I think it's a great setup....works to my satisfaction and hasn't given any grief in over two years of use on two toads. Easy and simple to hook up and undo.
If you have specific questions, let me know and I'll be happy to respond.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:07 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have the ReadyBrake and ReadyStop installed on my Chevy HHR. Easy to install and even easier to hookup/unhook each trip. Just finished a 1,000 mile round trip and very happy with ReadyBrake. No complaints!
Old 06-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
I read the installation manuals on each of the supplemental brake systems and the one that seems to be the "least invasive" and "simple" in its operation is the Ready Break integrated into the tow bar. I haven't purchased one yet but this would be my first choice. One of the reasons is that my owner's manual for the '07 Jeep Wrangler unlimited says that nothing should be added to or integrated with the Jeep's hydraulic system when setting up a supplemental brake for towing. Joe
Old 06-07-2010, 08:40 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Thanks for the helpful replies. I like the integrated brake and tow bar idea. Plus it looks like Ready Brake is less expensive then most other brake systems.
Magumba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2010, 08:27 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Ready Brake, the Brake away, and the in dash brake light indicator installed. Like earlier stated it was an easy install. Did it with my BIL. Very happy with the product and the price is excellent.
Peterrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:41 AM   #9

I'm starting to stray away from the air cylinder systems because on some system leaks experiences I have had, so I currently use the D-Brake Professional Tow Brake. I am enjoying it so far.
Old 12-08-2010, 03:10 PM   #10
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
plots I tried to respond to your Private Message but the system says you are not set up to receive a private message. If you could change your settings, I'll send the info.