Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2011, 10:00 PM   #1

Ready Brake Installation on a Jeep Wrangler

I have a 1997 Wrangler and I'm thinking about purchasing a Ready Brake as a supplemental brake, is anyone out there using this product and can I get some ideas on how to route the brake cable through the engine compartment? Thank you.
Maddogcujo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2011, 10:47 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed the Ready Brake on my 2001 TJ Jeep Wrangler with the inline 6. The RB works fine, but it does need the vacuum pump to make the brakes really work well. I haven't installed the vacuum pump yet. I have gone over our little mountains here in Virginia without problems. I'm going to install the Vacuum pump before I go out west. I'm just not quite ready to spring for the cost of the electric pump yet. I am using the RB with a Blue Ox receiver type tow bar. One of the things I do not like is how much extra play it adds to the hitch set-up. It also stretches the tow bar set-up about a foot. I didn't have any trouble installing the RB. Ran the cable through the firewall floor and up along the left frame. At about the engine mount I started routing the cable toward the center of the Jeep. It is tight but I routed the cable sheath tight under the radiator over the frame tube behind the front bumper and it came out at the very top of the front (stock) bumper. This put the cable about 1/2" down from the top of the license plate. Soooooo I removed the plate, drilled a 3/36" hole for the cable and ran it through the plate through the cable sheath to attach it to the brake pedal. The attachment to the brake pedal takes just a little fiddling with to get it to work smoothly. If you decide to go with it just take your time installing it and it will work smooth as glass. Took me about 2 hrs to install the RB on the Jeep and about 30 minutes to get it adjusted to the tow bar length. The indicator light is a different story. The easy part of the story that is. Running the wire for the light was a royal pain. Once I got the wire to the dash I had to figure out how to get behind the dash. It turns out that the dash on this Pace Arrow flips up. I did not know that until I fought with the instrument cluster for over an hour removing the tiny little screws (with nuts) that hold it on. Once I got the instrument cluster out, I could see the dash hinge. Two minutes later I had the dash raised and was reinstalling the instrument cluster. This silly little indicator light was the most time consuming frustrating part of the whole installation. Good luck.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #3
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RinkersRanch View Post
One of the things I do not like is how much extra play it adds to the hitch set-up. It also stretches the tow bar set-up about a foot.
Do you hear it or feel it? I was thinking the extra distance away from the rear bumper might be a plus in a tight turn.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 11:33 PM   #4

We have used a Ready Brake for years, first with a Samurai and now with a Sidekick. Any extra length or play has never been a problem. If I was shopping for a new towbar and needed a brake system also, I would purchase a ReadyBrute in a heartbeat. Good luck, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 10:59 PM   #5

Thank you for the information Wayne, did you need to trip the bumper lip or did it fit through that small opening, there seem to be less room due to the radiator support bracket? Is there a chance you can snap a couple of pictures for me?

Why do you think you need the vacuum pump? Thank you.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ready Brake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddogcujo View Post
Thank you for the information Wayne, did you need to trip the bumper lip or did it fit through that small opening, there seem to be less room due to the radiator support bracket? Is there a chance you can snap a couple of pictures for me?

Why do you think you need the vacuum pump? Thank you.

I put some pictures up. Member Galleries, 'r', look for Rinkersranch. The RB pictures start with the "My old Jeep" pic. Hope you can find some that are helpful. My air dam DIY project pics are there too.

The brakes work OK, but without the Vacuum pump to charge the booster I don't get maximum braking in a panic stop.

The play isn't bad, I'm just too picky. I pulled the Jeep for 3 trips before installing the RB. When going over bumps or a washboard road I can feel the added play in my hitch. It is just one more little noise to add to the din going down the road.

RinkersRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:07 PM   #7

Install was easy. I routed mine around the side of the radiator, along the inner wheel well to the firewall. Breakaway was just as easy. I didn't hook up the indicater light. Really didn't see a need for it. The price was right for what it does.

Mark
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2011, 06:58 PM   #8

Wayne, the pictures were great, thank you for taking the time to detail everything for me.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:59 PM   #9

Mark, can you share how you routed the cable in the front? Thank you.
Old 08-04-2011, 07:32 AM   #10

I am using the stock front bumper which I reinforced for the tow bar. I drilled a hole dead center for the brake cable and routed it under the plastic cover for the frame tube around the radiator to the firewall. I used a sawsall to cut a notch in the bumper to open it up so I could put the cable in the hole I drilled in the bumper. Then I just bent it back down. Can't hardly see the notch
Big Bear Local is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #11

Thank you Mark.
Old 08-07-2011, 08:12 AM   #12

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm using the Ready Brake along with their tow bar on our 07 Wrangler Unlimited. Easy to install, easy to use. I strongly recommend it.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:49 PM   #13

I have an 06 Wrangler and a Readybrute. The cable run was easy.

I just finished a 4200 mile trip that included starting in Michigan, over to Denver, Co, down past Leadville to Mesa Verde back and had no issues.

I don't feel I need the brake booster, I think its strong enough without it. The wrangler is fairly light to begin with. I put more work into making sure my tow bar was level and adjusting the cable to the brakes. Stopped hard for a red light at night last week and I could see my Wrangler brake lights come in in the rear view camera, so I know everything is working OK.
Old 08-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #14

Thank you! Did you guys run the cable through the bumper or below it? Thank you again.

Tags
brake