Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2018, 06:58 AM   #1

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Ready Brake on Ford Focus

Has anyone installed a Ready Brake system on a newer Ford Focus? We have a 2012 Focus that we’re going to set up for flat towing. Just thought I’d see if anyone has set up a Focus and, if so, were there any issues?

While I’m at it, those of you who use the Ready Brake & Ready Brute systems ... how do you like it? Thanks!
54bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2018, 08:24 AM   #2

We have Blue Ox’s simialer auto stop in our 2012 focus . Really the only trick is the firewall is double wall .
stepside454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 08:58 AM   #3

i installed the unit on our focus 3 years ago, and it works fine. we probably have towed it over 10k miles. this is our 4th mh that i have used it on and the 4th car, same unit.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:04 AM   #4

I have it on mine. Like Stepside454 said the firewall is double walled, which can make drilling through interesting.

It's a little tough running the cable. I ended up removing the battery and battery box to gain access better to the firewall area.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #5

I’m really not sure how much braking the car is actually doing back there if any
Old 05-22-2018, 09:49 AM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Got on on my 2015 Focus. Like it.

Running the cable was interesting to say the least. Worse part was drilling the holes, being concerned that I was going to hit something, and needed an angle drill to get square to the hole. Borrowed one from a friend. The second hard part was connecting the break away cable and brake cable to the pedal. Finally got it but was a PIA trying to see what you are doing and getting the stuff aligned just right.
Old 05-22-2018, 03:20 PM   #7

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Thanks!

Thanks for all replies! StepSide: why do you question how much braking is going on back there?

Other than double firewall issue, was it a problem finding a straight line to the brake pedal? (This is Mrs. Bob responding now ... Bob has not gotten underneath and figured out how it will be done yet, although I have full faith that he will be successful!)
Old 05-22-2018, 03:44 PM   #8

This kit comes with an indicator light to tell you when the pedal is depressed . 2 problems with that .
1) since you must disconnect the battery in focus to tow it , running power to a switch is kind of a pain in the neck , so I didn’t do it .
2) even if I had a operational light to tell me the pedal is depress , it doesn’t tell me how hard the brakes are being applied .
Old 05-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #9

Georgie Boy Owners Club
Base plate

Curious what base plate you all are using with your Ready Brute towbar.
Old 05-22-2018, 09:14 PM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 54bob View Post
Curious what base plate you all are using with your Ready Brute towbar.
Blue Ox. Choose it due to they had the better installation instructions.

Worse part of the install was getting the nuts started in the frame channel. Trying to bend the wire to the exact degree to get them started was frustrating to say the least.
Old 07-04-2018, 01:48 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
i installed the unit on our focus 3 years ago, and it works fine. we probably have towed it over 10k miles. this is our 4th mh that i have used it on and the 4th car, same unit.
Can someone post picture or describe where you drilled the hole(s) not seeing a good place.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 04:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ransil View Post
Can someone post picture or describe where you drilled the hole(s) not seeing a good place.
I drilled mine almost directly behind the arm of the brake pedal. You want the straightest pull you can get on the brake arm.
69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:34 PM   #13

I just finished installing the ReadyBrake and breakaway brake on my 2011 Honda Odyssey. I had similar issues in figuring out where to drill so I called the manufacturer and talked to an installer who was a great help in describing to me how to locate things. Ideally, try to find a landmark such as the steering gear penetration and carefully measure from there. As long as you can see enough to ensure there are no brake lines or other parts nearby, you can safely drill a pilot hole.

After putting the car up on ramps (essential), and after a few trips back and forth from underneath to the inside, was able to figure out the best place to drill. Make sure you use good quality drill bits and have an extra in case one breaks. The steel can be very hard. You'll need a helper to attach the cable housing to the firewall.

And, no way was I even close to the 4 hour estimate for installing the baseplate and the 1.5 hour estimate for the ReadyBrake. Suffice it to say that this has been a multi-day project and I still have to reinstall the plastic front-end parts.
BCam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:46 PM   #14

I had multiple days in my install, a lift helps alot. Most of my time was spent deciding where to drill and how to route the cables.

On the focus to the right of the steering column boot there is a double piece of metal with a hole in one piece i used that for the brake cable, its not a straught shot to the bottom of the pedal maybe about 2" up seem to work ok.

PSA use a drywall rotary bit in a dremel when trimming the plastic.
ransil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake, ford, ready brake