Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-28-2016, 07:31 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ready brake opinions.

I am looking for a toad to pull behind our 2010 Fleetwood MH. Most likely will be buying a Saturn Vue. Best car for our needs and budget. That said I am looking for those who have used the ready brake system and how it is working for them. I like the idea of no electrical components to fail. I am just not sure of the braking efficiency of this surge type system. Thanks for the input.
millred1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2016, 07:43 PM   #2

Works great. Have had other Brake systems that work fine also but the ready brake is simple and works fine. I have a Blue Ox bar so I need the Ready Brake extension, but if I had nothing, I would buy the Ready Brute Tow Bar. Have had several RV, s from C's, two 40'DP's and several towed vehicle types, and several different braking systems, now have 25'B+ and tow a Smart Car. The Ready Brake works great. No problems.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:08 PM   #3

Ready brake has worked fine for towing our Captiva since we got tired of the tow dolly. Much quicker and easier to hook up and I don't have to get on the ground to hook anything up.
Lakehouse 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 09:24 PM   #4

Pm me. We have a complete system we are no longer using. Could sell for 1/2 of new.
edrayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 04:37 AM   #5

I have one I've towed a Acura MDX and now have a Ford Explorer and it has worked flawless , easy to hook up and just a simple system , I really like wouldn't want anything else.
Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:17 AM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I agree, the ReadyBrute works great. We tow a Captiva, which is an updated Vue and we are very happy with the combination.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 05:18 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We have the ReadyBrake. Got a great deal on a Blue Ox tow bar so we did not go for the Ready Brute complete brake/ tow bar.

Or first toad was a '94 Geo Tracker (sure miss that little car). We bought and installed the RB not so much for braking but more to be legal. Some stated require brakes when towing over X amount. Our summer home state is 1000lbs. I didn't think at 2200 lbs the MH would have had any problem stopping with the little Tracker behind but for the cost, ease of installation and function the RB worked for us. A PO had towed the Tracker so the base plate and lights were done. I could not see where he had a brake.

The new toad is a '15 Jeep Wrangler. Much heavier than the Tacker so we would not be without a braking system. We moved the RB from the Tracker and did the install ourselves. Installed the Blue Ox base plate and tail light kit too.

Both vehicles had the ReadyStop emergency brake system.

Here is what I like. It's mechanical. A surge brake similar to what you would find on something like a boat trailer. That makes for not much to go wrong. No electronics to fail, no drain on the toad battery. There is a lamp you can install on the MHs dash to tell if the RB is braking, we did not bother is either vehicle. The price is pretty good but that was not the biggest deciding factor. The installation is not bad if you are handy with tools, read the instructions and take your time.

What I didn't like. The cables, especially the Ready Stop, rusted badly. When we moved the unit I replaced both cables with stainless steel aircraft type cable and lubed the RB cable. The RB cable is in a tube similar to how the brake on a bicycle works. The RS is not because it is for a one time use you hope you will never need.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2016, 09:28 AM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I don't really understand why anybody would buy ANYTHING except the ReadyBrake!

It's low-cost, easy to install, pretty much foolproof if installed properly, and it does the job! Why spend more money on anything else?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 05:52 AM   #9

I'm glad to continue to hear positive comments about the Ready Brake system. I had one installed yesterday in my 2014 RAM 1500 Eco Diesel. The only thing we added to any potential battery drain is the coach to toed charger.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 04-30-2016, 06:01 AM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
We bought the Ready Brute tow bar when our Blue Ox snapped in half. I installed the Ready Braking in my Tacoma with hand tools in the Shipsheewanna South RV park. We have about 30,000 towing miles and it has been the best brake system I have owned. I am getting ready to move it over to my new Toad, a Chevy Colorado.

It is so simple to install the guy at the corner garage, or DIY can install it and no"special" towing shop needed to install it.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 AM   #11

National RV Owners Club
I use it on both my Wrangler and Mini Cooper - have many miles without issue. I used to have the box that had to be put in front of the drivers seat and adjusted. Seemed to me to be a pain to do, especially if it was raining.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2016, 11:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
I agree, the ReadyBrute works great. We tow a Captiva, which is an updated Vue and we are very happy with the combination.
X-2
Old 04-30-2016, 02:35 PM   #13

I too have the ready brake. Towed a Ford Explorer and now a 1/2 ton Ram with my motorcycle in the back. Like the braking system due to its simplicity. However......I often wonder how much stopping power the brake actually exerts. My coach pulling the toad stops fine but I wonder if I could tell the difference if the toad brakes were not hooked up? Not that I will try tests to find out but I surmise my coach brakes are capable of stopping an additional 5000 lbs just fine......just sayin cause at the moment I have nothing better to do!
Old 04-30-2016, 03:29 PM   #14

Bhgolson: if the Ram brake is being fully depresses by the Ready Brake it's no difference than you driving the Ram under normal circumstances. I have towed boats and a row dolly with the exact type of system and in an emergency stop situation those brakes fully applied and help prevent an accident.

2009 Fleetwood Expedition 38F
2013 Scion XB toad

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum

Tags
brake