Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2013, 01:11 PM   #1

Ready Brake or Blue ox Auto Stop

Looking at both of these seeing what your experience is with either of them.

Any Bugs or issues I should know about?

Ted.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2013, 02:12 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The information I have is about eight years old so if the Autostop has undergone some revisions this could be worth nothing. Also I do not know the actual system used by Ready Brake maybe it is the same.

This is what happened. First the autostop I had worked just fine for quite a while. But then on one trip the cable began choking up each time the brake was applied. The bitter end of the cable began sticking out the rear of the autostop so it was undetectable. Eventually the autostop cable retracted so far as to apply the brakes while we were moving along. Well we smoked our brakes big time which required a complete brake job. To be fair I never investigated exactly why, I do not even remember what I did with the autostop. Maybe I traded it in? I went to another braking system right after that.

That being said the surge braking system can be effective, it is used extensively on boat trailers etc, so I think asking questions about the improvements in the autostop could dispel any misgivings you get from my report.

I have often said that if I was to change the braking system I have now, I would give the Ready Brake, Ready Brute systems a good look.

For the record I am a Blue Ox fan, just not so much the one product.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 02:20 PM   #3

Thank you for sharing your report.

Ted.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:51 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GULFSTREAM37 View Post

Mine is not much of a report but a friend has been using the ReadyBrake (with a Jeep Wrangler) for a number of years and thinks it is wonderful. Based on his recommendation, I just ordered a ReadyBrute Elite and Blue Ox base plate for my Wrangler last week from RVUpgrades.com. Caught a sale and received a 10% discount which amounted to $150 and free shipping - the best price I could find.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Do a search of this forum for the ReadyBrute Elite. Lots of members use and like the ReadyBrute. We've used ours since August of this year and think it's the best deal out there to get into towing 4 down with.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Do a search of this forum for the ReadyBrute Elite. Lots of members use and like the ReadyBrute. We've used ours since August of this year and think it's the best deal out there to get into towing 4 down with.
Seems like these setups would be Clunky during stops and starts, what is your experience?
Old 12-10-2013, 07:52 AM   #7

I have the Blue Ox AutoStop integral with an Aladdin tow bar. This system, once properly adjusted, works well. How long that lasts I don't know. There is nothing "clunky" about it as far as I can tell.
2013 Leisure Travel Vans Unity U24MB, 635 watts solar, 440 AH batteries, 2000 watt inverter, Koni struts and shocks, Hellwig rear anti-swaybar, SumoSprings front and back, 2012 Hyundai Accent SE, Blue Ox baseplates, Aladdin towbar and Patriot
jackfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 08:23 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Something many folks forget with Surge brake (And other for that matter) systems.. MAINTENANCE including inspection.

I used to have a van where from time to time I had to break down the accelerator lnkage and ream out a bushing with a pistol cleaning kit I got at a gun store for just that job.

WHy.. Corrosion of course.

On the surge brake, if the cable sits, as it often dows, for long periods of time it can rust up and then the pull pulls it but it won't release.

or if the cable end frays, it can jam up and not release.

Routain maintenance involves, mostly, inspection (There is a way to lubricate but to do it right takes special tools, which you can get at a motorcycle shop by the way).

Basically, make sure the cable moves freely at least once a month.
Old 12-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Seems like these setups would be Clunky during stops and starts, what is your experience?
Not at all, we don't even notice our Captiva is back there. I've never noticed any play in the hitch setup at all while using it.
Old 12-10-2013, 04:05 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Something many folks forget with Surge brake (And other for that matter) systems.. MAINTENANCE including inspection.

I used to have a van where from time to time I had to break down the accelerator lnkage and ream out a bushing with a pistol cleaning kit I got at a gun store for just that job.

WHy.. Corrosion of course.

On the surge brake, if the cable sits, as it often dows, for long periods of time it can rust up and then the pull pulls it but it won't release.

or if the cable end frays, it can jam up and not release.

Routain maintenance involves, mostly, inspection (There is a way to lubricate but to do it right takes special tools, which you can get at a motorcycle shop by the way).

Basically, make sure the cable moves freely at least once a month.
Good advice no matter what equipment your using. Always check things over to make sure all is ok. I believe the cables and cable conduit for the ReadyBrute is made of stainless steel which should help in preventing rust. Also in our own case, we only use the Captiva for towing behind our rv, so no driving it in salt and snow. And I always pull on the cable when hooking everything up to go somewhere, not for that reason but now that you've got me thinking about it, that's a good time to check that the cable moves freely.
Old 12-11-2013, 07:05 AM   #11

The cables that came on my ReadyBrake we're not stainless but the cable housing does have a plastic liner. I ditched the supplied galvanized cable and substituted stainless.

Regarding clunking, the system has a friction damper inside which solves that problem.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:26 AM   #12

Thanks guys,

I decided to stay with a traditional tow bar and settled on the Demco Dominator.

I also purchased the RVi Brake 2 for ease of install and removal and all the rave reviews.

Ted.
Old 12-12-2013, 09:22 AM   #13

American Coach Owners Club
Quote:

Ted.
We have a READYBRAKE and wouldn't have any other for simplicity, dependability and the best bang for the buck.
tropical36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue ox, brake