Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:20 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Ready Brake owners

Has this happened to you? Returning to the sticks & bricks house and only two blocks away the toad began shuddering going around two right hand turns. What we decided was the problem is the brake cable had become caught on something in the set up while turning and the brake was activated when the turn pulled out the slack.

I don't have the cable very tight because the weight of the toad is so little the brake is almost not necessary and I only want it for extreme stops. It seems to like hanging in the notch the Blue Ox has that allows you to hold it up and to the side while the toad is not attached. Had to disconnect to park so I can't take a photo, wish I thought of it before.

HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-16-2012, 08:30 AM   #2

Thanks for the heads up!

Old 10-16-2012, 02:41 PM   #3

Ours is close but that hasn't happened yet. So what is your plan, tighten the cable a little?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:39 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
Ours is close but that hasn't happened yet. So what is your plan, tighten the cable a little?
That is what I am thinking. That or find something to cover any obstructions that may catch it.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:57 PM   #5
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I would consider this a serious issue and call the company direct for their advice on exactly what to do. They could very well have had others call them with the same/similiar problem.
Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
Old 10-16-2012, 08:58 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I use a rigid tow bar,mine was dragging on the ball hitch.I installed a 12" piece of small angle iron from a metal shelf.The cable rides on top of this angle.About 5,000 mile and has worked great.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC2 View Post
I would consider this a serious issue and call the company direct for their advice on exactly what to do. They could very well have had others call them with the same/similiar problem.
Readybrake RV Tow Bars and RV Surge Braking Systems for Car Towing - NSA RV Products
I'm over 10k miles using ours without incident, closer to 15k really, so I'm not ready to push the panic button just yet....

I purposely tried to keep the cable in line with the attach points on the toad side so changes in height (coach vs. toad) would not change cable length/preload. That's the only reason mine is as close to that notch as it is. I might rethink that a little, maybe lift the toad side an inch or two? That should keep the cable out of harm's way pretty easily. A dip wouldn't bother it, but driving over a hump might. Would have to be a pretty big one though....
Old 10-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #8

When I installed my Ready Brake I used a piece of 1/4" ID plastic tubing to run cable threw. Helps to keep cable from hanging up on items along it's route to toad. Got several good pieces of info on setting up the brake cable in this thread. ReadyBrute braking problems--Follow-up
Old 10-17-2012, 07:35 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronjhall View Post
When I installed my Ready Brake I used a piece of 1/4" ID plastic tubing to run cable threw. Helps to keep cable from hanging up on items along it's route to toad. Got several good pieces of info on setting up the brake cable in this thread. ReadyBrute braking problems--Follow-up
Good idea on the tubing Ron and the link is a good read. I will check the slack next time we hook up the toad. I'm also working on something to cover the notch on the tow bar that will let the cable ride on top. Perhaps a length of rubber tube, slit enough to push over it.

I'm not sure the notch in the tow bar is the place the cable hung up. Since it is dead center that would keep the slack the same. We think it held up somewhere on the left (drivers) side so the cable was only pulled while turning to the right. Unfortunately we did not figure out what had happened until after disconnecting so unless it happens again we have no way to know what. About 7,000 miles on the RB and this is the only problem we have had.
Old 10-17-2012, 07:32 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
No issues on mine yet but I'm using the whole readybrake readybrute setup. I can't really think of a place where the cable could get caught. I like the idea of running it though a tube though. That's clever.
On the readybrute tow bar there is an eye to run the cable through. Maybe that's helping it stay free of catching on anything.

Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake