Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-14-2018, 04:30 PM   #1

Ready Brut Elite tow bar and braking combo for 2011-12 Jeep liberty....

Trying to keep the toad simple and practical.

PROS: The Jeep liberty (sport and limited) is a true 4x4, automatic, towable 4 down, mild off road, rides well on the highway and is big enough to carry a few things including 2 golden retrievers who like wind surfing out the back windows.

CONS: Gas millage, basic interior on the sport, weight (4200lbs ish), small, if any, dashboard and not sure how it tows down or up the steep mountain passes.

Tow setup I am thinking is the Ready Brut Elite tow bar and braking combo with the Demco base plate. I am a newbie and any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2018, 04:27 AM   #2

Daniel-

When you order your Bay Star, are you planning on the 24k or 26k GVWR chassis?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2018, 09:56 AM   #3

Very funny

Daniel
Old 04-15-2018, 12:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post

PROS: The Jeep liberty (sport and limited) is a true 4x4, automatic, towable 4 down, mild off road, rides well on the highway and is big enough to carry a few things including 2 golden retrievers who like wind surfing out the back windows.

CONS: Gas millage, basic interior on the sport, weight (4200lbs ish), small, if any, dashboard and not sure how it tows down or up the steep mountain passes.

Tow setup I am thinking is the Ready Brut Elite tow bar and braking combo with the Demco base plate. I am a newbie and any thoughts or comments would be greatly appreciated
Not sure what your MH is, but there are definitely some limitations to Toads based on MH model and driveline / frame. Not knowing that, cant really talk about the Liberty unless you are in one of the MBS Sprinter units. If your are limited to under 4500 pounds on a toad, yep - they can be small and confining but they work. Demco baseplate, I am not familiar with but can speak to the Ready Brute Elite setup as we installed all the system on our MBS Sprinter last year (wife and I set it up, with no arguments). The system is simple, has a lifetime guarantee, and works, we used it a month long trip last summer pulling a Jeep JK Sahara with zero issues. The installation of the brake actuation cable is straightforward and there are multiple Youtube videos showing how. Of you go with ReadBrake, be sure to also get the emergency breakaway brake system too. For about $1200, you can get the full setup from Amazon and if you have prime, no freight charge. The clevis connections will have to ordered based on what type of baseplate you use. Here is the link: https://www.amazon.com/NSA-RV-Produc...adybrake+elite
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:16 PM   #5

Mark I thought you were reading mind....lol.

Am ordering a 2019 Bay Star 3401 as soon as I can get some info on what different from 2018. I am trying to get it on a 26,000 chassis. Both have the 5000 lb hitch and can't go over that period.

On the 24,000 chassis you theoretically tow up to 6000 tow but can only use 5000 including tongue weight.

On the 26,000 you can only use 4000 to tow. Since you get more CCC on the 26,000 you can use some of that and still only tow up to 5000. In the end you get more CCC.

Just wondering what the pro and cons on the 2012 night be?

Daniel
Old 04-21-2018, 12:18 PM   #6
jrs

Check out YouTube. There's a video showing the Ready Brute being installed in a Liberty.
jrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 01:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvlegaleagle View Post

Are you going to do the install of the Base plate and brake system yourself? I just installed a Demco Baseplate on my Jeep GC and it was easy. I have an old Demco Excali-bar but I added the RB 4000 braking system in front of it. So maybe the sum of the system is kinda like what you have.
Only problem I had installing the braking system was the lack of room in the engine compartment to work and route the cables. Hopefully the Liberty has more room. I have not used the system yet but many people seem to like it. Good luck.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2018, 07:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrs View Post
Check out YouTube. There's a video showing the Ready Brute being installed in a Liberty.
That is the exact setup I am going for because of the braking system, don't want to deal with the in and out and have communicated with the creator of the video....has a new channel now.

While doing the base plate and braking system doesn't seem too difficult.....the wiring for the lights might be.

But I was wondering if anyone else uses that brake system, how it works out west in the mountains or any other information on the 2012 Jeep Liberty in general, either the sport or jet.

Since that video they have come out with a combo braking/tow bar setup forgot what they call it. Information or experience on that particular setup would be nice too

Thanks for you comments and input.

Daniel
Old 04-22-2018, 05:16 AM   #9

I bought the Brake light wiring kit from Demco - was a piece of cake to install.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow