Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2018, 05:26 AM   #1

Ready Brute and Ready Stop Break away

I'm getting ready to set up my CRV with the Ready Brute Elite. I've purchased all the necessary hardware and in looking at all the instructions, I was wondering about the installation of both the Ready Brute Brake cable and the ReadyStop breakaway cable. Have others had any issue with drilling 2 holes in the firewall and installing 2 clamps on the brake pedal? It seems like it's a lot of hardware on the brake pedal and not much room for it. Am I missing something on this? Is there any issue in using just one clamp on the pedal for both systems? How have others that use both systems installed theirs?
Jfs999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-01-2018, 07:35 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfs999 View Post
I'm getting ready to set up my CRV with the Ready Brute Elite. I've purchased all the necessary hardware and in looking at all the instructions, I was wondering about the installation of both the Ready Brute Brake cable and the ReadyStop breakaway cable. Have others had any issue with drilling 2 holes in the firewall and installing 2 clamps on the brake pedal? It seems like it's a lot of hardware on the brake pedal and not much room for it. Am I missing something on this? Is there any issue in using just one clamp on the pedal for both systems? How have others that use both systems installed theirs?
I used a single clamp. I seem to remember the instructions indicated to use only one clamp and the clamp has the necessary holes for 2 cables. The Ready Stop comes with a clamp because some folks use the Ready Stop but not the Ready Brake so both packages include a clamp.

You can seal the Ready Stop hole with some caulk if you want but I haven't had any issue with the firewall holes.
Old 02-01-2018, 04:10 PM   #3

This is the setup we use. Biggest issue with drilling the to holes in the firewall is 1) having enough room to fit in the footwell and see what you are doing and 2) be sure to remove enough carpet so the material does not wrap around the bit. As I recall, there is only one clamp provided, to fit on the brake pedal and the two cables fit fine through there. Be sure to leave some extra cable that you can secure up on the top portion of the brake pedal as some adjusting may be needed later. Here is a good video showing the install:
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 05:29 PM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I ditched the clamps that come with the ReadyBrute and used a clevis pin that I got from my local hardware store. I drilled a hole through my brake pedal arm, inserted clevis pin through it and the clevis. Clamped cable to clevis. Works great and was easy install. Been that way for 4 years now and don't even notice the cable connection to my brake pedal.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:39 PM   #5

A couple of things to watch.
First, make sure your firewall is only a single layer. Some vehicles have a doubled layer firewall, and mfg. run wiring in between. Don't want to nick a harness.
Second thing is to locate the " release " collar on the breakaway unit, in an accessible place. Its easy to release the lock down collar provided you can get at it.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote