Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-24-2015, 02:13 PM   #15

The Ready Brute Elite will not use battery power. But unless you pull the fuse that owners manual recommends there is a good chance that you will have low battery problems. I made a switch and fuse holder harness for my Captiva and my BIL Honda CRV. Neither of us have had a battery problem since.
The CRV fuses are hard to get at to remove the fuse. Best to put a fuse/switch harness in.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2015, 02:51 PM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I just purchased a 2014 CRV and the ready brute elite for my MH. My question is... do you think I will have any problems with a CRV keeping a charge with this system? I was told to add a toad charger to my CRV to keep the battery fully charged but my question is with the surge breaking system is there going to be any demand on the CRV battery with this system as opposed to a supplemental add on breaking system. What do you think? Is it worth paying more to add a trickle charge system or should I be OK without it?

Dave

Dave, look at my post #34 in the thread below. That's the way I solved the problem!

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f85/2013-...on-250271.html
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 03:09 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by albawsadv View Post
After reading several posts and comments on tow bars and brake systems I am leaning toward the Ready Brute Elite system. I would like to hear some Pros and Cons of the system as well as any user experiences.
Once it's set-up properly it basically trouble free. I did have to make one cable adjustment after 500 mi usage (cable stretch is normal)

I would recommend installing a LED on your dash to verify the toads brakes are on or off. (I ran a wire from the Jeeps brake pedal switch to a LED on the MH dash)
Old 12-24-2015, 03:27 PM   #18

Here is a picture of the harness I made for BIL CRV. Put switch in same place as Joe put the lighted one.
Old 12-24-2015, 03:34 PM   #19

I had my Ready Brute Elite since we got our motorhome in May/2013 and love it. I did not want to have to put any type of box in front of my seat.
reubenray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2015, 04:18 PM   #20

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
More of the same - two years and about 11,000 miles. Love it, no problems.

A negative if you are searching really, really hard: If you run with a split/drop receiver and a bike rack in the top receiver, the ReadyBrake brake "arm" may contact the upper receiver. It is a pretty fringe case and far from a "real" negative.
Old 12-24-2015, 04:38 PM   #21

I can't think of a con. As for easy to install, I had a auto shop do the install as I was uncomfortable drilling through the firewall, and I just don't bend so well anymore. One installed, nothing to haul about. Just hook up two lines and your light cable and off you go. I had the shop link in a battery trickle charge since the Tiffin has the line to the plug anyway. Since I don't pull a fuse with the Explorer I figure it will help if I forget to turn off the radio or something.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 08:01 AM   #22

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to albawsadv
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFNM View Post
More of the same - two years and about 11,000 miles. Love it, no problems.

A negative if you are searching really, really hard: If you run with a split/drop receiver and a bike rack in the top receiver, the ReadyBrake brake "arm" may contact the upper receiver. It is a pretty fringe case and far from a "real" negative.
Thanks, I will need to pay attention to that as that is the setup we were going to use for our bikes.
albawsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 05:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrobath View Post
I just purchased a 2014 CRV and the ready brute elite for my MH. My question is... do you think I will have any problems with a CRV keeping a charge with this system? I was told to add a toad charger to my CRV to keep the battery fully charged but my question is with the surge breaking system is there going to be any demand on the CRV battery with this system as opposed to a supplemental add on breaking system. What do you think? Is it worth paying more to add a trickle charge system or should I be OK without it?

Dave
Dave
Get one of these, problem solved. I will be ordering one because we just got the Ford Edge Sport with push button start
RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement
I have the InvisiBrake in my Honda but have been reading about all the problems with them, looking for something different
This one is high on the list, still looking

2 stroker
nvisiBrake
nvisiBrake
2 Stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 04:57 PM   #24

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Stroker View Post
Dave
Get one of these, problem solved. I will be ordering one because we just got the Ford Edge Sport with push button start
RVibrake Towed Battery Charger, charge line replacement
I have the InvisiBrake in my Honda but have been reading about all the problems with them, looking for something different
This one is high on the list, still looking

2 stroker
nvisiBrake
nvisiBrake
Ordered one today....Thanks
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:19 AM   #25

Entegra Owners Club
Great tow bar and about as simple as it gets for a very reliable brake system. Easy to install. Lifetime warranty that they stand behind, none of the other tow bar manufacture do that.

Only con I have is it is difficult to lock and unlock in and from the stowed position.
A "Classic" 2014 Anthem 42 RBQ---Sold
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2016, 01:44 PM   #26

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use one as well. I love it. Simple, and inexpensive. Did the install myself, all in, under 1400.00 dollars.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:00 PM   #27

I've been researching these and the Readybrake.

Are you using the Readystop Breakaway kit as well?

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 03:15 PM   #28

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemoores View Post
I've been researching these and the Readybrake.

Are you using the Readystop Breakaway kit as well?

Steve
I think you were asking me. Yes, I have the breakaway kit installed. If the Jeep goes awall at least it will come to a stop........I hope.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote