Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-26-2016, 06:55 PM   #29

I also installed the breakaway kit. Easy to do, not expensive and a good safety procedure. But I can't really believe the tow car could get loose from the safety cables.

1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 06:34 AM   #30

Newmar Owners Club
I have the breakaway kit on my Equinox, plus I ran the wiring for the "brake light" that I put in my dash.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 08:17 AM   #31

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ciderdog View Post
I also installed the breakaway kit. Easy to do, not expensive and a good safety procedure. But I can't really believe the tow car could get loose from the safety cables.
One time we were out touring with the Jeep in tow. Julia and I were having a fun time thinking of all the nuts and bolts holding the Jeep to the tow bar, the tow bar to the brackets, the brackets to the receivers and the receivers to the frame. So how many or few, would it take to have the Jeep leave the safety of being towed behind the coach? Perhaps not as many as you think.
So, if a simple breakaway system seems over kill to some, don't. you have to do everything you can to prepare for disaster.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:30 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
One time we were out touring with the Jeep in tow. Julia and I were having a fun time thinking of all the nuts and bolts holding the Jeep to the tow bar, the tow bar to the brackets, the brackets to the receivers and the receivers to the frame. So how many or few, would it take to have the Jeep leave the safety of being towed behind the coach? Perhaps not as many as you think.
So, if a simple breakaway system seems over kill to some, don't. you have to do everything you can to prepare for disaster.
Yep, we installed it also. Did 1380 miles in the last 4 days on our maiden run and it has been flawless. Re-connected the Jeep last night in about 5 minutes. I'm really glad we chose this system!
Old 01-28-2016, 06:38 AM   #33

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
We used the ReadyBrute Elite for 4 years. One thing you might want to do is run 2 lights to the dash. One to tell you the RB has activated and one to tell you when your tow car brake has been activated. If everything is not adjusted correctly you can get an RB light and not be activating your vehicle brakes. If you only use one light I would connect it to my vehicle brakes.
Old 01-28-2016, 01:50 PM   #34

Thanks Guys.

I've been a lurker here for a year or so, great bunch of people.

A local RV accessories place can bring the Brute in for $1700 (Canadian) which isn't that bad given the current exchange rate. I'll order the breakaway kit at the same time.

NSA will make a set of custom clevis so I can use the D-Ring attachments on my bumper. I'll rig up the LED to show when the brake pedal is activated (sounds like it's off the pedal switch or the middle brake light, but I'll figure that out).

There's a big RV show here in 2-weeks, so I'll wait until then to see if there's any deals, otherwise I'll get it from the supplier above.

Still winter here, so no big rush, but I can do all the toad work in the garage.

Steve
stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 02:32 PM   #35

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
About 7 years ago I paid $900 for the tow bar / ready brake. Add the break away, safety cables, umbilical, wiring harness, receivers, base plates, demco adapter and some misc. items I did the whole deal, self installed for $1380.00 U.S.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:05 PM   #36
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by albawsadv View Post
After reading several posts and comments on tow bars and brake systems I am leaning toward the Ready Brute Elite system. I would like to hear some Pros and Cons of the system as well as any user experiences.
Be sure and check this website for Ready Brute Elite prices and accessories.
https://www.rvupgradestore.com/
Old 01-29-2016, 09:59 AM   #37

They're $1080 US at rvupgrades, that translates to $1520 CAD, before I pay for shipping and get hit for customs brokerage. Hence the $1700 CAD is a pretty good deal.

Cheapest way would be if I was going to the border any time soon, I could just ship it there, but it's not worth making a special trip to save $120.

All the fun of cross-border shipping

stevemoores is offline   Reply With Quote