Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:33 PM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ready Brute Elite Cable Question

Question on the ready brake cable install. Made maiden 40 mile run and the black cable guide has rubbed all the sheathing off the cable that connects the actuator arm to the vehicle. It appears to be the top of the cable, so I assume it is scraping when the ready brake engages and pulls the cable slightly upward and towards the motorhome. The cable guide is cut razor sharp. Is it supposed to be this sharp or do I have the cable run improperly? When I measured, the tow bar was level (within two inches). I have about 2.5 inches of play adjusted in the cable.

Thoughts???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3393243427.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	623.5 KB
ID:	42437   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1047199695.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	649.9 KB
ID:	42438  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2013, 08:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can't believe it is normal to scrape the sheathing off the cable. I'd contact NSA and ask them about it. I'm installing a ReadyBrute Elite this weekend and am very interested in what you find out about this. I'm going to go out now and check the cable guide to see if it has sharp edges or not. I'll let you know what I find out.

Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:32 PM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

The black coating scraped a bit off of my cable also. I didn't see it as a big deal. After two years I scrapped the cable that had come with the system and made my own out of stainless cable (the one that came with the unit wasn't stainless). My new one has no coating so I don't have to worry about it. IMHO sometimes people worry too much about little things.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:51 PM   #4

Send a message via Skype™ to LandKinaMoho
My readybrute set up does not have a guide plate. Works fine..........
LandKinaMoho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:57 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Just get some small flexible wire conduit and put a short piece over the cable.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I checked and my cable guide also has fairly sharp edges, it seems to be by design. I wonder how "centered" your cable is as it exits the front of your toad? Is it possible that if centered more accurately that it wouldn't rub on the guide?
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Wow - what an awesome resource this fourm is. A little update - after settling down from my initial reaction, I googled my issue and also used the "search" button. Seems this is a common issue for some folks.

Trying not to sweat it now but I just got it all hooked up and we're leaving Thursday evening. I did find several solutions such as lining the edge with some duct tape (seems to fix everything) and thought about some flexible wire conduit but I don't want anything that will allow it to hang up. I am also going to check the wire with a level - while the connection point on the jeep and motorhome are within the 2" tolerance, I think I need to double check this. Our Bounder has the 228 wheel base which seems to have a lot of motorhome body hanging out the back. I know my driveway is slightly sloped which may cause the back end to appear lower than it is on a more level surface. I'll take it to a parking lot and re-measure. Perhaps I need another 2" of drop off the back of the motorhome (already have 4"). I also thought about filing the edge of the guide to allow more of a radius.

Thanks again for all the comments!
Old 07-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mine did the same thing. I believe it because the pivot point of the tow bar is in front of the bracket. The slack in the cable is so that you don't apply brakes when turning. Three years, 30k miles, I don't worry about it, just inspect the steel part of the cable for fraying. Still the best system going IMO!
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #9

I put a piece of 3/8" tubing over cable where it passes threw guide. Got the tubing in Home Depot plumbing department.