Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2017, 01:22 PM   #15

Thank you lanerd I will certainly look into those as well.

I have another question. It's just something I'm curious about. Our RV has ( 1)4 pin wire harness on it is all, and I know that will supply what we need for the lights, but is there anything else that we'll be hooking up as far as the braking systems or anything else that we'll need another wiring harness for? I'm thinking that should take care of our needs, but somewhere I think I remember reading something about hooking a wire from a 7 prong plug to the battery to keep it from running down, but I'm planning on jst having a battery disconnect switch put on it and shut it down when towing anyway.
Bren10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2017, 05:55 PM   #16

Tiffin Owners Club
Depends upon the braking system you get. Any of them (and I think all but the Ready Brute Elite) requires 12v. So if you connect to the toads 12v system, it will definitely run that battery down. Most people will run an additional 12v line from the mh to the toad.

Most of us just use 6 pin connectors. Takes care of lights and the braking system.

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 12:24 PM   #17

Thank you for the info lanerd.
Old 02-05-2017, 10:20 PM   #18

We use the Ready Brute Elite tow bar and surge brake as was mentioned earlier. We tow a 2015 Chevy Malibu, but a Jeep would probably work much the same. Anyway . . .

I hook up the Malibu to the tow bars, transmission in neutral, key in accessory position to unlock the steering, and pull 3 fuses to keep the battery from discharging. For lights on the Malibu, I use a wireless LED light bar that mounts magnetically. A pigtail plugged into the outlet on the back of the MH controls the light bar. (You choose the type of pigtail to match the outlet on the MH – ours has 6-pin, but you can also choose 4-pin or 7-pin.) Last year, we hitched up before leaving WV and did not unhitch or do anything else to charge batteries, etc. until we reached south Florida. This year, I had to unhitch a couple of times only because a pull-thru space was not available in a couple of campgrounds on our route.

Follow the instructions in your owner’s manual for recreational towing. Many cars require starting and running the engine periodically to keep the transmission lubed. But with a surge brake like the Ready Brute Elite and a light bar, you should use no electricity while towing.

Wayne
WNJeffers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 12:16 PM   #19

Another ready brute elite user , best and easiest to hook up. Blue ox to go on on front of jeep.
cwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #20

Thank you so much WNJeffers, and cwit for the info.
Old 02-08-2017, 01:41 PM   #21

Ready Brute Elite with Blue Ox tow plate and very happy with it.

You cannot install a battery kill switch as you need the toad lights to work unless you are using magnet lights.

I bought my system on Amazon and had a pro shop install it. I also had them install a toad charger after my toad went dead on a trip.

I am pretty sure you will need a six pin connector instead of a 4 pin but not totally sure.

I have called and emailed NSA (Ready Brute Company) and they have been very helpful with my questions.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4999.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	571.1 KB
ID:	151350  
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2017, 04:02 PM   #22

Thank you RMD3819 for the info. Ya got a nice looking set up there.
Old 03-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #23

Well we got our toad equipment installed, and towed our Jeep home with it just yesterday. It ended up that no one in our town could do the installation, so we ended up having to go 90 miles (180) round trip to a CW, and have it installed there. We took the Jeep over there on Monday, and had to take the RV over there on Tues, so they could show us how to set up and use all the equipment.

Prior to them installing anything I explained our disability issues, etc. to them and this is what they ended up recommending from the items they have, and what they ended up putting on it.

They ended up setting it up with the Road Master Falcon All Terrain Tow Bar, a Stay In Play Duo SMI braking system, and they did wire the lights into the jeep lights. So now I guess all we need to get is a TPMS, and as far as equipment we should be good to go.

The vehicle towed well behind the RV yesterday, but a storm was brewing that later yesterday early evening produced 68-70 MPH winds, and some really bad storms. So, we had some pretty high winds both going to go get the Jeep, and towing it back home too that caused us to blow around a lot (lol which made momma here a nervous wreck, so that's something that is going to take some getting use to). Between the high winds, and the semis shoving us around I was really glad when we finally made it back home. Otherwise it was a fairly good, yet expensive trip, but we made it home safe and sound. Also as we were leaving to head back home the front brakes on the RV started grinding too, so I suspect the cost of new brakes will be in the near future too.

Because we just did beat the storms, and it was starting to get dark when we finally made it home last night, we decide since we were both totally exhausted and hurting like crazy just from that short of a trip- (along with all the stress of the windy trip, etc.) that we'd wait until today to unhook everything after we had gotten some rest, and all those storms had passed.

I was able to unhook everything by myself, as hubby is now in the bed sick today. We are leaving the tow bar locked on the RV, with the cover on it, so we don't have to deal with trying to remove it each time, and the rest of it is stored in a compartment in our RV.

The only thing I really don't care for is the pin or bar, or whatever it's called that goes into the breakaway system that I suspect has to remain in it even when it's not being towed. LOL Being the worry wart that I am, I'm wondering what will keep someone from removing the pin or bar thing out of the breakaway while we are inside a store shopping or something? Is there something that can be put over those when they aren't being used for towing that prevents them from being so noticeable, and someone possibly removing the pin/bar thing out of them?

Thank you all again for all your input. I hope we ended up doing alright with what we got, but I suppose regardless of what's on it if it gets us safely from point A to Point B that it will be work out. I hope you all have a wonderful night!!!
Old 03-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #24

For some reason my avatar isn't enlarging enough in my post above and it wouldn't let me edit it to add a picture too that comment so, I'll try to post the picture of the toad behind the RV so you all can see it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	RV AND JEEP BEING TOWED WITH LICENSE # BLACKED OUT.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	153529  
Old 03-01-2017, 08:33 PM   #25

Post a pic of the pin thingy you are worried about being stolen.
Old 03-02-2017, 01:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMD3819 View Post
Post a pic of the pin thingy you are worried about being stolen.
This it is the breakaway pin I was talking about. (If that's even the right name for it?)
I'm just more curious as to what effect it would have if someone stole it out of there while I was in a store or somewhere,(would it engage the SMI?), and I'm wondering if I should purchase spares just in case something like that were to happen.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20170302_142424.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	400.4 KB
ID:	153629   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170302_142531.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	535.2 KB
ID:	153630  

Old 03-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #27

That is just a plug to keep trash and junk out of the connector. They are probably pretty cheap, so just order a couple of spares and don't worry about it. Oh, it also keeps your braking system from engaging when you are driving the toad if you forget to turn off the Stay n Play
Old 03-03-2017, 09:40 AM   #28

I had a similar setup on a previous travel trailer.

If the pin is pulled the brake will engage-that is how it is designed.

I don't know if there is a way to override that if the pin is missing. My TT had electric brakes so of the pin was missing I could disconnect the TT battery. I doubt it works the same on a vehicle. My current setup is all mechanical and I can reset the emergency brake box if it gets activated.

I would definitely tether it to something at the very least. If you are worried about theft you could use a steel cable and padlock. A bike lock might work.

Tags
parts, toad