Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I decided to purchase this rock guard from CW...

Attachment 24304
That's very similar to the one I have on ours. It's very heavy, suspended by chains. Where that one says "Ultragaurd", ours has a heavy piece of stainless or chrome plated steel the same height, running from side to side, with the words "Holiday Rambler" cut from it.

I can assure you - it doesn't work - as noted above. Granted, better than nothing. Just don't count on it being 100% effective. -Al

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2012, 09:49 PM   #16

We where having a discussion about that around the camp fire at the last rally I attended. A lot of the guys that have towed flat for lots of miles have raised there mud flaps because they tend to hit the ground as the suspension works and that kicks up the rocks and stones behind the flap. I looked at mine and there is lots of road rash on the bottom of the flap. my plan is to pull it back just a bit and hope that it will not hit the ground and still protect the car.
Hope it works I'm pulling a 2012 Enclave.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
I have towed for almost 60,000 miles almost all at Highway speeds of 60 to 75 mph and can say for certain that you WILL get stone chips and sandblasted unless you have the proper protection for your toad.
Chuck what is the proper protection?
Old 08-02-2012, 10:59 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Chuck what is the proper protection?
Phil, not proper, but what has worked for me...
I have a Rock Solid from Camping World that I mounted ALL the way back by the hitch and up to the bottom of the rear cap just like it shows in the Camping World ad that is at the bottom of this post. I even closed the gap at the trailer hitch where the two pieces of the Rock Solid come together. Probably overkill !!
I did leave the worthless, expensive stainless steel ITASCA flap in place just for the hell of it as well as the standard mud flaps behind the wheels.. The Rock Solid clears the ground by about 2 inches.
With all of this you can still get junk from passing trucks if you are on a non divided highway

I don't like the bra idea because if the front isn't spotless when you put it on it will be like sandpaper on the paint finish.

Good luck with however you go. I hope I at least gave you some ideas.

Rock Solid Protective Guards - Product - Camping World
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:13 AM   #19

Chuck thanks for the reply. I think I will call our local CW store to see if they stock them they look like it would work to at least keep some of the junk off the car. How do they , install holes to drill in the MH or a bracket on the hitch?
Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #20

If I had something I was really trying to protect, I would likely go with something along these lines:

My DIY tow protector
Old 08-03-2012, 09:08 AM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by phil57 View Post
Chuck thanks for the reply. I think I will call our local CW store to see if they stock them they look like it would work to at least keep some of the junk off the car. How do they , install holes to drill in the MH or a bracket on the hitch?
I made a bracket out of 1 inch square tubing that went across the back of the MH and attached it with nuts and bolts. I dont remember what the Rock Solid came with to mount it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahicks View Post
If I had something I was really trying to protect, I would likely go with something along these lines:

My DIY tow protector
That DIY protector would work the best. I also made one of these, but my diesel exhaust comes out the rear and melted the mesh. Soooo I went with plan B, The Rock Solid because I didn't want to re rout the exhaust out the side.
Camping World also sell one like the DIY one, they get around $300 for it
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #22

Rock guard

I have had nothing but trouble with rock guards.
I have destroyed 2 of them. My exhaust comes out the back and melts the mesh.
I also have to hang it too low due to the exhaust.
I am now looking at the type that have flaps or grass like material.
Not sure how I will mount them but with the rear exhaust the rigid type don't work.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:19 AM   #23

Yep You will get rock chips, We've towed our Grand Cherokee over 50,000 miles over all kinds of roads, lotza rock chips, no guard. To Alaska and back too. Our Cherokee is a 97, so don't really affect value.
Old 08-05-2012, 07:40 AM   #24
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
I guess it is what it is...You tow a car, you take your chances....even with correct protection. We've been coast to coast twice, south to the gulf twice. We never travel on gravel...ever. I dont drive my cars on gravel for pete's sake! If the road is not paved, I dont go there...I guess we're just " not living it up"!
Old 08-05-2012, 12:00 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkh View Post
I guess it is what it is...You tow a car, you take your chances....even with correct protection. We've been coast to coast twice, south to the gulf twice. We never travel on gravel...ever. I dont drive my cars on gravel for pete's sake! If the road is not paved, I dont go there...I guess we're just " not living it up"!
Maybe it's just me, but "Living it up" is not exactly what I had in mind when encountering construction.

I don't think anyone can run expressways 100% of the time, and when you do leave them, you have a pretty good chance of encountering what we did - gravel covered construction zones. Nice dusty ones! 2 of them on the same 6500 mile trip, both in the South West. One 15 miles long, the next 40 miles.

REALLY, saying "you don't go there"? I have to wonder how you would avoid it? You would have just like I did, pretty sure. Options are/were darn few....
Old 08-05-2012, 05:02 PM   #26
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
My two cents.....First, I think a rear radiator DP throws more junk at thetoad. The rear radiators are like big vacumns that suck air up under the engine and out the rear of the coach. That vacumn effect certainly loosens some of the light road debris that then bounces around and out the back.

I think you need solid dual wheel mud flaps as close to the rear duals as is possible and within an inch of the ground. The dual mudflaps in this position won't raise and lower any since they're so close to the rear dual. The second level of protection would be the rear full length mudflap. As noted, it needs to be 3"-4" off of the ground at ride height so that it doesn't kick up debris and do more damage than it stops. Checking the under side of the large flap as "phil57" noted will tell you if your flap is too low.

A lot of people dislike the full length mudflaps and say they're a constant problem. I disagree. If it's mounted correctly and you're aware it's there when you back up, it should never be an issue. Mine is 7 years old and has one small ding.

The tow bar rock shields and the blankets are probably among the best for giving you protection from the tow bar back. You just have to weigh the their worth vs their hassle. They typically only take a few minutes more to install.

For me, the bra is the best alternative. My toad never leaves on a trip without at least the front end getting waxed. I've used a "LeBra" brand on the three toads that I've owned. They come in two pieces, a grill/bumper piece and a separate hood piece. You can actually leave the hood piece off and get good protection. The hood piece is typically where dirt/dust accumulates and you have to watch for damage to the paint. If we're going to be at a location for a few days, I remove the bra and store it until we depart. I've had NO chips caused by towing.

***The down side with a rear radiator DP is that they REALLY can make your toad nasty dirty after a few hundred miles. No matter what you use, bra, rock guard or blanket, it will be a dirty mess when you arrive.

The one product that I think is really a waste of money (sorry if you own one) is the full front end bra used on a toad behind a DP (California Car Cover). These are the covers that cover the entire front end and windshield. My BIL had one and he's still trying to sell it. They get filthy and and are a LOT of material to handle and store everytime you stop. Each time you want to just disconnect and move the car a few feet, you have to disconnect and fold the windshield portion down so that you can see.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM   #27
Commercial Member

Diplomat Don has the right idea. Stop the rocks coming off the dually and front tires. That is the majority of the rocks. That also helps protect all the wiring and holding tanks under the coach. Measure the mud flaps to hang just above the ground when your airbags are out and the coach is sitting at it's lowest position. Then they will be as long as possible when you air up and are moving down the road. Make sure the mud flaps are stiff enough to not fly up behind as the coach travels, otherwise they are not doing the job.
The rear mud flap does stop the rest, but can cause some problems also. Make sure it is no lower than 3-4" off the ground. Any closer and it could actually cause rocks to fly up and hit your tow vehicle. Also, make sure it will not get caught between your tow hitch and the ground when you go up a steep driveway, that would tear your mud flap. If necessary find someplace further forward to hang the mud flap from.
The rear mudflap can also add bling to your coach. Make it custom to say somehthing fun, then everyone will know it is your coach as they go by on the way to the next rally.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:46 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I made two simular trips in 2006/7 One without any guard between RV and towed, When I got home I hosed what seemed like a half inch of sand off the windshield, engine, I mean everything. No rocks, just grit, had to wash the windshield before I could drive the towed.

Trip 2 stop 2 was Pender NE, Got the RV Underskirt (one of the many rock guard options.

Did not have to clean the windshield, Did not have to hose down the engine, No mud, No grit, No problems when I got home.