Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-13-2014, 02:08 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Readybrake "Brake On" Light Necessary?

I'm new to the motor home world, and after reading a lot about tow systems here bought a ReadyBrute Elite. It came with a red light that is supposed to be mounted in the dash to indicate when the brake is on. It plugs into the hitch, not the toad's brake lights, so I wonder about the value of that information.

I suppose that it would tell me if the hitch is jammed in either brake on or brake off, but it seems to be a pretty simple system and I wouldn't think it would be a big concern. From what I've read it is much more likely for the cable inside the car to hang up or break, and the light doesn't help in those circumstances.

I would love to hear opinions about whether installing this indicator is worth the expense (I would have my favorite shop do the work).

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-13-2014, 02:26 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
I installed this part myself and it was very easy to do. It lets me know the braking system is working correctly.

reubenray is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 02:31 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have been using the Readybrake for about a year, and am very happy with it. I have the kit to install the light, but haven't done it yet. Not sure if I will. Like you, I'm not sure how helpful it would be.
jeffwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:26 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
I'd hook it up so you know when the brake is applied. The cable can stretch, the indication would be the brake doesn't come on when it used to. I like all the information I can gather to monitor safety systems in RV.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #5

I never hooked mine up either for the same reason as the OP. It does not tell you the important thing of whether the toad brakes are on or not. It just tells you the lever moved.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
I'd hook it up so you know when the brake is applied. The cable can stretch, the indication would be the brake doesn't come on when it used to. I like all the information I can gather to monitor safety systems in RV.
It would give you the same indication if the cable fell off. When the lever moves the micro switch closes.
Old 08-13-2014, 03:51 PM   #7

I have not hooked mine up. After a few trips I could feel the difference when the toad brakes did not activate. I think you will get accustomed to how your setup feels after a few trips. I guess it really comes down to a personal choice
Old 08-13-2014, 04:13 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I think I'd want it on.... Possible for the system to "Engage" when it should not.... The light would indicate when that happens and enable you to find secure parking and fix it.
Old 08-13-2014, 04:47 PM   #9

I installed the light on my Motorhome dash but I hooked into the brake lights of the toad with diodes. Now if my MH dash light is on I know my toad brakes are on. I keep the cable adjusted so it only works with firm braking of MH
Old 08-13-2014, 05:55 PM   #10

I installed mine because it came with the kit. I like the light because it lets me know the system is working right. I guess it makes me feel better.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed mine. It tells me that the system is applying the brakes but not necessarily that the toad brakes are engaging.

I do like any information I can get.

Jerry
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I also installed mine myself, pretty straight forward. Have used it for four years and I do like the indication that the surge is happening. As Happyho stated you have the option of hooking it to the toads brake lights so you know only when the toad is braking. I have thought of doing that myself. Another project on the back burner.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #13

I didn't install it on mine, it doesn't tell me anything of value. Your opinion may differ. I towed for several years without a brake, and I can definitely tell the difference when it is on versus off without the light telling me.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We've had the ReadyBrute setup for 2 years and have not installed the indicator light, either.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake