Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2016, 01:50 PM   #43
RV LIFE Support Team

Before we went with NSA I did a lot of research and could find no problems with their system. Have you thought about setting up a video of your setup while you drive and hope you video when it occurs. Maybe even just a video of your backup screen in the MH. We have our backup screen setup so that we always see the car and most of the setup. Won't be great video but maybe you will see something. Even just tape a phone to the MH since it occurs fairly fast.

With the number of Ready Brakes being used it needs to be something unique that is causing this.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2016, 02:30 PM   #44

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
We have towed with our Ready Brake 12000 miles with no problem. Ours is much tauter than yours. We can pull it up and down 2" without feeling like we are invoking the brake. I think yours is too loose and it is catching on something. Slack means different things to different people. We had someone email his setup to us and his was like this.

[IMG]http://s1379.photobucket.com/user/swharton08/media/_M
G_7242_0119_edited-1_zpsn4j16vu7.jpg.html[/IMG]
In your picture your cable does not go through the center bracket
just in front of the surge brake area. Is there a reason for this or just a mistake?
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 02:35 PM   #45
RV LIFE Support Team

Just a mistake. Must of picked up the wrong picture. Hard to tell on tablet. I was just looking for one that showed a taut cable. The pictures I looked at always seemed to show a very loose cable.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 05:31 PM   #46

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsupersonic View Post
.. I have the brake indicator light on in the coach so I know when the brake is activated.
The brake indicator LED supplied by NSA only shows you the brake arm is moving. It tells nothing about cable slack etc,. You could forget to hook up the cable and the light would still work.
Old 09-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #47

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
If you have a marine supply store like Boats US, just take one of the spare (old failed) cables you have, remove the plastic sleeve and use there crimp tools to make up a new cable. The boat stores have crimp tools for customers to use.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:27 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by erstanfo View Post
If you have a marine supply store like Boats US, just take one of the spare (old failed) cables you have, remove the plastic sleeve and use there crimp tools to make up a new cable. The boat stores have crimp tools for customers to use.
If the new cable, with no cover, works then I am going to personally go to a hardware store and buy the tools to make cables all day long so we can make spares while in the coach. And then I'll call NSA and ask them to reconsider their design (adding the wire covering). John will be doing some local testing tomorrow, but the real towing doesn't happen until Monday. (He's heading down first; kiddo has Kindergarten tomorrow, so I can't take her down until later -- we intend to tow back. *fingers crossed that this naked cable holds*)
spikecopilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 06:53 PM   #49

Today we successfully towed the Jeep home from Luray, VA -- about 150 miles including up and down the mountains. The brake cable (installed & adjusted EXACTLY as it was the previous three times) held! We're declaring success and attributing the previous cable failures to the wire covering interfering with the ferrules. I'll give NSA call tomorrow to let them know.

Old 09-05-2016, 07:07 PM   #50

Tiffin Owners Club
I have the ready brake and been using it for about 6 months with monthly trips of 300 miles.

Although I do agree with no plastic cover on the cable for crimping, I feel that the cable is not designed to pull a whole lot of weight. That cable is only to pull the brake pedal down, so how much pulling weight is that?

This cable is NOT designed to pull the vehicle or anything to that affect.

Would like to see some kind of experiment on a cable with a plastic cover and a bare cable and see how much pulling differences it would make before the cable comes undone.

Im glad that the OP got his problem resolved but I think something else is going on besides the plastic covering on the cables.

There are plenty of these ready brakes on the road and this is the first time I have heard of this.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160904_113914.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	138173  
Old 09-05-2016, 07:20 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7365 View Post
I have the ready brake and been using it for about 6 months with monthly trips of 300 miles.

Although I do agree with no plastic cover on the cable for crimping, I feel that the cable is not designed to pull a whole lot of weight. That cable is only to pull the brake pedal down, so how much pulling weight is that?

This cable is NOT designed to pull the vehicle or anything to that affect.

Would like to see some kind of experiment on a cable with a plastic cover and a bare cable and see how much pulling differences it would make before the cable comes undone.

Im glad that the OP got his problem resolved but I think something else is going on besides the plastic covering on the cables.

There are plenty of these ready brakes on the road and this is the first time I have heard of this.
I can assure you that the cable isn't being used to pull the vehicle (we have installed it per their instructions with the appropriate amount of slack), and that NSA vetted our installation via photographs after the third failure. In all three failures, the ferrules clearly were crimping the wire cover and stretching it, which means that they weren't grabbing the actual wire. It could be a bad batch of cables -- who knows. But the "naked" cable worked, so that's all we care about at this point. I talked to NSA and they told me the covering was added because it looked nicer. If anyone has a concern about their cable, call them and custom order one without the covering. My guess is that there will be either no or minimal charge for it.

There's a reason that wire coverings aren't used with ferrules in aircraft. This is an example of what can happen when the ferrules grab the covering instead of the wire. Maybe we're a one-off or a batch of bad cables. We love the simplicity of their system and are SERIOUSLY happy to finally have successfully towed with it. Would we recommend the Readybrake system? YES.
Old 10-19-2016, 05:55 PM   #52

Newmar Owners Club
I had the same issues as the OP. 2016 Ventana towing a 02 Jeep Wrangler. First trip out worked fine on a short trip of about 60 miles. 2nd trip we went down to Big Bend TX. Found the cable pulled out of the ferrule. NSA shipped on down to us so we had it on the way back. First stop on the way back the second sling cable had pulled out of the ferrule leaving the coating. Spoke with NSA 2 days ago and they are sending another sling cable. Did not see this post before now or would have asked specifically for one without the crimp on the cable coating.
SATXJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2016, 08:45 PM   #53

We have had a couple of successful tows since they replaced the sling with one that did not have the coating. Once we got that out of the way the system has worked like a champ! Its really quite quick and easy to hook and unhook the toad.

My recommendation would be to anyone that has the coated sling cable to replace it with a non coated one. Alternatively, NSA could strip the coating off for the ferrule application (making sure not to damage the underlying strands of course.)

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATXJeep View Post
I had the same issues as the OP. 2016 Ventana towing a 02 Jeep Wrangler. First trip out worked fine on a short trip of about 60 miles. 2nd trip we went down to Big Bend TX. Found the cable pulled out of the ferrule. NSA shipped on down to us so we had it on the way back. First stop on the way back the second sling cable had pulled out of the ferrule leaving the coating. Spoke with NSA 2 days ago and they are sending another sling cable. Did not see this post before now or would have asked specifically for one without the crimp on the cable coating.
pilotspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake