Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
ReadyBrake System Owners

My Jeep manual warns against using any aux brake system that integrates into the brake lines or vacuum lines of the Jeep. This Ready Brute System seems like the least invasive of all the aux brake systems. If I am going to tow, I want the easiest, safest and least invasive system that there is without moving contraptions in/out of the driver's floor area. I would appreciate any feedback from actual owners of the system. Thanks, Joe

Here are some of the specs:

ReadyBrake. Called ReadyBrute when integrated into the tow bar.
It is a surge system. A hydraulic system on the slide receiver (tow bar) uses a cable to pull on the arm of the toad’s brake pedal. A factory set threshold is used to prevent application of the toad’s brakes on minor pressure against the slide form the toad. Monitoring: Application of toad’s brakes is signaled to the coach without wiring.

Adjustments to the system from within the coach: Not required.
Adjustments to the system from within the toad: Not required.

It does not use the toad’s power (vacuum) assist to aid in the application of its brakes!

It does not connect to the brake line!

It does not use the toad’s electrical system!

It has a breakaway system!

It is proportional!

Lifetime Guarantee.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm sorry if this looks like an ad. It is just info that I gleaned from the net while researching systems. It ended up being the one that I would use, BUT only after hearing from some others who actually have the system for their toad. Seems like a lot of the other heavily advertised systems use the brake and/or vacuum lines. Owners of other systems say that it is OK to do that, but my manual clearly warns against it. I decided that I would abide by the Jeep manual directions to avoid problems. There might even be other systems like this one...I didn't see any, but if you have one, please fill me in. My toad "would be" my '07 Jeep Wrangler JK, 4wd, 4 door. Thanks, Joe
Old 06-21-2010, 10:42 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have it on my sister coach to yours (but the gas pusher version) and love it. I installed it and the base plate and also ran the wire to let you know the toad brakes are on by surge up to the front rv and installed the little red light on the left side lower of the dash. It works great. I have the separate tail light bulbs installed in my toad (Honda Fit). One recommendation is do not run your wiring to the lights etc under the ready brake hitch and through the ring they provide. Run them over the top of the hitch. I smashed my wires with the hitch into the pavement when going up a sudden incline. But of course my hitch is low to accommodate hooking up to a low car. I still run my break away safety cable through the ring but and rethinking that also. Greg
Old 06-21-2010, 11:13 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
When we had a motorhome and pulled a toad, we used the ReadyBrake system together with the ReadyBrute tow bars. Great system that worked well.
LindaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #5
rca

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hi Joe! I pulled a dolly for 6 years when I had two cars so I could take either vehicle along. It had surge brakes that I got use to so when I decided to tow 4 down, I chose the ReadyBrake/ReadyBrute system. It was so simple to install that I removed it from my 06 HHR and re-installed it on my 09 HHR. It does what I need it to do and is easy and quick to connect.
I use a light bar on the car that I attach using a bike carrier so I don't have to mess with the car lights/wiring....just string the four wire cable thru the car.
Those of us pulling low-to-the ground cars need to be cautious on short, steep inclines but you should be better off with the Jeep and its higher connection points.
I don't think you'll be disappointed if you decide to purchase the ReadyBrake system.
Old 06-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to everyone for your help...

I appreciate the help in deciding if the ReadyBrute is everything that was advertised. Apparently it is. That's the one that I will buy when I get ready to tow the Jeep. I will make the purchase soon. I'm trying to talk my wife into retiring so that we can use the coach for longer than weekends. She is stubborn but she is weakening each day...
I can be stubborn too.

Thanks a lot, Joe
Old 06-23-2010, 06:19 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
ReadyBrute Elite

We purchased a ReadyBrute Elite from NightShift Auto a few months ago along with a Blue Ox baseplate for our Honda CRV. I went to Northern Tool and got a locking 1/2" bent-pin and a smaller one for the CRV. We were out 15 days towing the CRV with the ReadyBrute on our SightSeer Class A. This is my first experience towing a dinghy.

Bottom line: I love it. My wife loves it too. The system is simple to hook up and it works very well. I did some testing on my own and found how well it all functions in a parking lot. Then, on the real roads, I just could not tell that I was towing! Well, accelleration was a bit less than what I was used to, braking was about the same, and I never knew I was towing (no wobbling, pulling, etc).

We also got a rock-netting from NightShift - a very heavy duty woven fabric that goes from the bottom of the RV rear bumper to the bottom of the CRV bumper. This did a marvelous job of keeping rocks and nicks off th RV.

I also got their break-away system. That is so elegant. There is nothing to go wrong!