Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 11-16-2015, 07:30 AM   #1
ReadyBrake with Smart

Just had the ReadyBrake installed on our 2012 smart car. The installer exited the brake cable through the bumper plastic right above where the plate goes. really makes the car look like a windup toy now. Couldn't he have bright it through the grill work? Anyone with a ReadyBrake and smart toad want to share where their brake cable exits the front of the car? pic is from top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	370.2 KB
ID:	112071  

Drivingsilv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2015, 10:00 AM   #2
The location for that cable is pretty critical. It has to be there in the center to connect with the brake cable coming off the tow bar. Also it must be located so there is no sharp bends on it's way to the firewall. It looks similar to my installation on my Fiat. I suspect it was not installed through the grill because the structure is weaker. Every time the brake is operated there is some pressure applied to that plastic body part. Eventually it might crack the grill. Also it would be difficult to anchor the cable to the grill.

I don't see your emergency/brake away cable connection in the photo. It is usually near the driver's side tow bar connection point. Is it just not visible in the photo?

John and Karen
2012 Thor Challenger 36FD
2013 Fiat 500 Toad
AKJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 12:32 PM   #3
Oh good. That makes me feel way better. I suspect if one day we are not towing anymore and want to sell the smart, we can just remove the cable and replace the part where the cable now protrudes. The break away cable is right near by and exits the bottom grill. The installer attached the red breakaway hardware right near it. We just had tucked the breakaway cable inside the grill and secured it, to get it out of the way when driving.

2014 Navion iQ G
2012 smart toad
Old 11-16-2015, 02:36 PM   #4
Originally Posted by Drivingsilv View Post
Just had the ReadyBrake installed on our 2012 smart car. The installer exited the brake cable through the bumper plastic right above where the plate goes. really makes the car look like a windup toy now. Couldn't he have bright it through the grill work? Anyone with a ReadyBrake and smart toad want to share where their brake cable exits the front of the car? pic is from top.
First off, and this is not to chastise you but, if you know how the Ready Brake works and, how it's to be installed so that it works correctly, if you didn't want the cable end to protrude out of the place it is, I would have thought you maybe make a suggestion to the installer about it's exit point BEFORE the work began. Now, if he's an experienced installer of these systems, then he most likely picked the exit point that was the most efficient and, would allow the unit to work correctly.

Second, you can have as many bends in the cable in that engine compartment as needed but, each bend MUST BE SECURED so that, when under tension, as in when the brakes are being applied, that cable CANNOT ATTEMPT to straighten out. Every engine compartment is different. And smooth, straight routing of that cable is by far, not the normal setup. Obviously the least amount of bends is better due to the fact that there would be less friction and resistance but, it's not always feasible.

So, if there are multiple bends, then each bend must be secured to stay in the position it's laid out in.

And, there really isn't that much pressure or, tension on that end of the cable housing. It merely supports the exit of the internal cable. There's more tension on the bends, (if any or all) than the ends. Below is a picture of my install of our Ready Brake, in our 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Extended Cab 4x4. I made the bracket that retains that cable housing end. But, with a little ingenuity, I kept the cable end from protruding out the grill.

I also setup the cable end at the brake pedal so it's not connect 24/7 - 365. The cable end lays under the floor mat until it comes time to need it. Then, all the wife does is, reach under the floor mat and, hook it to the small pin, I installed on the brake arm. It's just a cleaner install that way. I also installed a turn buckle in the link cable between the toad and the coach. That way, if and when any adjustment is needed, you can instantaneously micro-adjust that turn buckle for the proper tension. Just some ideas for you.

2004 ITASCA HORIZON 36GD, 2011 GMC Sierra 1500 4x4 Toad '08 GL 1800 Gold Wing
Retired-29.5 yrs, SDFD, Ham - KI6OND
Me, Karla and the Sophie character, (mini Schnauzer)
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
Thanks Scott. Great suggestions. It never occurred to us that the cable would exit where it does. I had watched so many videos on installing the ReadyBrute package and none of them on a smart. Everything I watched had the cable fairly hidden under grill work etc. When we picked up the car, the technician said it was one of the more difficult installs because of the small areas to work in. In hind sight, I wish we could have been there. I especially didn't like that he repositioned the license plate to the right, making it off center. We came up with a more aesthetic solution though. Going to install two brackets where we can mount the license plate in the center and just where it used to be -- except higher. That way it will hide a lot of what we didn't like. One thing we did do though was have a battery disconnect switch installed for towing. Had read a couple of horror stories (one here on this forum) of people towing a smart without disconnecting the battery.
2014 Navion iQ G
2012 smart toad
Old 11-17-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
From your photo it appears the brake cable is in the correct orientation to the two connection bars.
I installed my own system and learned this the hard way, Ascetics come lastly.

2016 Thor Tuscany 34ST XTE, Freightliner XCR, ISB 360hp/800tq. Allison 3000, Koni FSD shocks, Roadmaster 1.75" front sway bar, Safe-T-Plus, DYI air bag flow control valves.
2015 Jeep Willy's Wheeler Wrangler Unlimited Toad, Ready-Brute-Elite tow system.
IdahoSRT10 is offline   Reply With Quote