Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2014, 11:55 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Easyrider View Post
Cindy, you purchased your ReadyBrute about the same time we did, so you probably have the newest version of it like ours. On the arms of your tow bar are some zerk grease fittings that allow you to lubricate the arms. We had some problems getting our tow bar arms to lock up also the first couple times we used it. I pumped some grease into the arms and they have worked great eversince. The owners manual says they should get lubed 2 or 3 times a year, more if you're in rainy and or dusty conditions more than normal. Give it a try and hopefully your problem will go away.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Cindy,
No one's answering your question. You're having a problem with ONE ARM of the tow bar. And, to be specific, it's the locking mechanism. Most of those locking mechanisms are actually quite simple in design. We purchased a Blue Ox Aladdin used off ebay and, while the operation of the locking mechanisms did seem to work ok, me being me, I disassembled both locking mechanisms, cleaned and inspected them for wear and whatever possible issues that may be developing inside the system that you cannot normally see into. All was well.

As for yours, well if you've got warranty, then in all reality this should be a no-brainer for the company, just replace it. Although getting some companies to perform warranty replacement might be harder than getting the new Obama health care program to work. If you don't have warranty, then, I don't know how mechanical you are or, anyone you know but, it might not be that hard to disassemble that locking mechanism to figure out why it's having such a hard time locking up. Based on what you're describing, it sounds as if the lock in point, however designed, is just not in sync with the locking lever. Not knowing how yours works, I'm only guessing here. Too bad you're not close.

If that doesn't appeal to you then, I'd surely take it to a reputable RV repair/service center of your choice and have it analyzed as to why it's malfunctioning. Good luck and, do report back if you find out why it's doing what it's doing.
Scott
Hi Guys,

I wanted to let you know that I finally had an opportunity to put into practice what you all kindly (thank you...once again) suggested to me; I pumped a hefty amount of grease into the zerks...not that easy since the grease was nearly "frozen" even here in AZ Anyway, I hooked the bar up to my car, and left the red locking rods perpendicularly opposed to each other (according to NSA it's not supposed to matter which way these things are facing in order for them to lock), and rolled forward in the MH, only to have just the one arm lock again. I had someone running alongside as we would then stop and move the rod of the unlocked arm in different positions, and I would then turn the corner to see if it would lock. At the 3rd attempt we discovered that the locking rod pointing in the same direction as the one on the other side caused it to lock.

So I unhooked the car back to the beginning and tested that theory. I placed the locking rods BOTH in the same direction towards the LEFT (if you are standing in front of the car, facing it...to your left). Rolled the MH forward, and BOOM both arms locked simultaneously. IDK why it worked this way...I'm just glad it did.

Now I got a grease gun stored in my MH...in an enclosed plastic box because I got stern warnings with it that it will leak all over the place...especially in hot weather...yay me.

Anyway, what do you all think about that little experiment?

traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2014, 01:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post

Hi Guys,

I wanted to let you know that I finally had an opportunity to put into practice what you all kindly (thank you...once again) suggested to me; I pumped a hefty amount of grease into the zerks...not that easy since the grease was nearly "frozen" even here in AZ Anyway, I hooked the bar up to my car, and left the red locking rods perpendicularly opposed to each other (according to NSA it's not supposed to matter which way these things are facing in order for them to lock), and rolled forward in the MH, only to have just the one arm lock again. I had someone running alongside as we would then stop and move the rod of the unlocked arm in different positions, and I would then turn the corner to see if it would lock. At the 3rd attempt we discovered that the locking rod pointing in the same direction as the one on the other side caused it to lock.

So I unhooked the car back to the beginning and tested that theory. I placed the locking rods BOTH in the same direction towards the LEFT (if you are standing in front of the car, facing it...to your left). Rolled the MH forward, and BOOM both arms locked simultaneously. IDK why it worked this way...I'm just glad it did.

Now I got a grease gun stored in my MH...in an enclosed plastic box because I got stern warnings with it that it will leak all over the place...especially in hot weather...yay me.

Anyway, what do you all think about that little experiment?
You must have a different model than mine, the instructions are to point both locking handles perpendicular to the arms facing forward toward the back of the MH. Perhaps this was your problem from the get. Glad you finally got it all going right anyway.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #31

The directions on my Ready Brute says to put the red handles parallel to the tow bar at hookup, not perpendicular
Old 01-06-2014, 09:27 PM   #32
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by VestaDave View Post
You must have a different model than mine, the instructions are to point both locking handles perpendicular to the arms facing forward toward the back of the MH. Perhaps this was your problem from the get. Glad you finally got it all going right anyway.
I have to agree with you. I find it strange that this should have worked.

I put my levers parallel to the bar once I have hooked up and then drive. The bars lock as they extend to full position. I place the arms at 90 Degrees to unlock them. They won't lock in this position.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthunts View Post
The directions on my Ready Brute says to put the red handles parallel to the tow bar at hookup, not perpendicular
Yes, you are correct the handles need to be parallel pointing toward the rear of the MH.
Old 01-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
The trick is to park the toad close enough to be inside the tow lock position, but far enough away to be beyond the stow lock position. First thing I did was to lube the locks as they were a bit stiff as new. I installed the BO baseplates. One other thing I noticed is the base plate pins worked to the outside. I use Locking pins so I place them so the locks don't have pressure on them. If I used linch pins I would want them unloaded.

FWIW
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 03:58 PM   #35

If you put the red handles parallel to the tow bars, how can you tell if they lock in? If you put the red handles 15-20 either side of parallel you can plainly see when they lock in as they move to parallel. At least that is how mine work.
Old 01-07-2014, 04:12 PM   #36

I hate doing S turns to get the Ready Brute to lock. I usually hook up my Honda CRV, point the handles toward the front of the RV, put the toad in reverse, release the toad brakes and it bumps the Ready Brute to the locked position. Love the system, grease the zerks regularly and have never had a problem.
Old 01-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #37

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I love my ready brute elite. It has worked flawlessly,, except the initial installation they routed the brake cable too close to the radiator hose. That did not end well, but was resolved.

I was not aware there were grease fittings. I shall find them and take care of it thanks.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 06:23 PM   #38

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cindy, I'm glad you've got the tow bar locks working properly. I'm not sure about the locking rods needing to be pointing in the same direction, as I don't think they are connected in any way and as long as they point at the motorhome they should work. Maybe it's just that the tow bar arms needed to be extended and retracted a few times to spread the grease a little to make things work and it's just a coincidence with the locking rods pointed direction? The main thing is that they are now working and I'm happy for you for that! We are very glad we chose the ReadyBrute Elite for our tow bar and recommend it to anyone considering towing with 4 wheels down.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 12:56 PM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by davismills View Post
I hate doing S turns to get the Ready Brute to lock. I usually hook up my Honda CRV, point the handles toward the front of the RV, put the toad in reverse, release the toad brakes and it bumps the Ready Brute to the locked position. Love the system, grease the zerks regularly and have never had a problem.
This sounds like a great idea. Before I did the last practice after greasing the zerks...I thought I would still have trouble and had a back-up plan: that if it failed again I would have the E-brake on slightly on ELLY, and just roll the MH forward to really pop those puppies into lock. But that IMO seemed too complicated. This popping in with the car in R after releasing the E-brake sounds so much better...and in control...I might add. Thank you!
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 02:08 PM   #40

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
After hooking up point levers toward tow vehicle. The bar will extend and lock automatically upon movement. I guarantee it. Its very simple and fool proof.

Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote