Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-03-2013, 05:27 AM   #1

ReadyBrute Elite

We are in the process of equipping our 2014 Jeep Wrangler to be flat towed and would like your opinions pros and cons on the Ready Brute Elete tow bar and the Ready Brake system. Are the aluminum tow bars as strong as their steel counterparts ? Do the attachment points wear easier where they are aluminum.? Is the breaking system as good as one of the more expensive electronic units ? All responses and comments will be greatly appreciated. Thanks ... Alan

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:14 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
We pull a 2013 Honda CRV with a Ready Brute Elite system for about 4000 miles,no problems....love it!!

Old 12-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Not sure about the tow bar but I have the brake system and love it. The most simple on the market and cost less too. Several years and miles of service with absolutely no problems.

Only reason I don't have the tow bar is that I already had a Roadmaster Falcon2 towbar when I bought the brake system
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:33 AM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
We bought the Ready Brute to replace our Blue Ox Aladdin that snapped in half, thankfully pulling away from a fuel stop. The Ready Brute is twice the tow bar Blue Ox ever thought about being. The Ready Brute has a lifetime warranty... I am proof Blue Ox does NOT. I have towed with the RB for two years and I am not showing any signs of wear anywhere.

I have had a couple of different brake systems and the Ready Brake does not get any simpler or better. It works without wearing out your toad brakes or failing because a pump or battery went dead.

It is hard to beat the price and quality of the Ready Brute with the brake system included for less than the price of a tow bar from other companies. In addition the customers service at RB is twice that of BO....just my experience.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-10-16_13-02-19_907.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	154.7 KB
ID:	51173  
brobox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
I have the Ready Brute Elite with Ready Brake and I tow my 2013 Ford F150 4x4 with the system. It performs flawlessly! Easy and fast to hook and unhook. Very simple system that works as it should. All mechanical. Unhook and drive away. Hook up and go. No calibration needed. Reasonable cost.

In my case, they double listed the same tow bar on the Internet. One was priced almost $500 low. They honored it and removed the wrong ad after. It was definitely a no-brainer for me however, I would have bought it anyway.

I'm very happy with our set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	51174  
Old 12-03-2013, 01:09 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I bought the system in July and DH installed it for my trip in Sept.

Towing was no problem the entire 2400 miles.

The problem was when hooking it up for take-off, I experienced having a problem with both tow bars locking. The one on the left wouldn't lock. I tried doing hard right turns to get it to go and it wouldn't go after several attempts. Finally it took 3 people to lock the arms by hand and THEN attach...this was very difficult.

The next attempt at the next leg of the trip...it happened again.This time we hooked up one arm, and I got into the Element and turned the steering wheel in the direction as far as it would go, and backed up slightly to lock the other arm. Again this took 3 people, and was just as difficult.

Now I am afraid of this thing...I bought it so I could travel ALONE with a toad with NO trouble. I'm having nightmares that I'll be by myself and get into a jam...have to unhook the car, and then won't be able to lock it upon hooking up again. All while doing this ALONE.

I called the company after the 2nd occurrence they said my initial attempts at hooking up were correct, and they didn't understand why one arm won't lock.

DH suggested I try hooking up, and have the E-brake on in Elly before pulling forward slightly. I haven't practiced this yet...but will soon.

Thoughts?
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:05 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We have had our ReadyBrute Elite setup for nearly two years without any problems. It is rated for 8,000 pounds and is a very sturdy tow bar. We love the integrated brake and believe this is the absolute best bang for the towing buck.

Cindy--we have occasionally had one arm or the other be hard to lock. If all else fails, we simply pull slowly out of the campsite and then check the arms again before exiting the campground. The slow turns in the campgrounds always manage to "click" the locking mechanisms into place.

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #8

I hope it is a good as everyone says. I just received mine yesterday but will not use for another month. I would say if you want one to do some aggressive shopping now because NSA the manufacturer increased prices Dec. 1, 2013. Maybe can find someone that will sell at old price. New price is $1275.95. That is still several hundred less that any other tow bar and brake combination I know of. I purchased from Tow Bars Unlimitedat a discount to old factory price, so you may want to check them. The can also sell you the base plate for your toad.

I also got the breakway cables to activate the brakes if toad disconnects.
Old 12-03-2013, 02:51 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
[QUOTE=
Cindy--we have occasionally had one arm or the other be hard to lock. If all else fails, we simply pull slowly out of the campsite and then check the arms again before exiting the campground. The slow turns in the campgrounds always manage to "click" the locking mechanisms into place.[/QUOTE]

Yeah...thanks, but we tried that...over and over and over again...it just wouldn't lock.

BTW, this was 2 times in a row that it happened.
traveldogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 03:45 PM   #10

I recently installed the Ready Brute to tow my 2005 Colorado 4x4. So far I am completely satisfied. The brake system is simple and works very smoothly. Components appear to be well built. I used a Blue Ox baseplate
Old 12-03-2013, 05:40 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Cindy, you purchased your ReadyBrute about the same time we did, so you probably have the newest version of it like ours. On the arms of your tow bar are some zerk grease fittings that allow you to lubricate the arms. We had some problems getting our tow bar arms to lock up also the first couple times we used it. I pumped some grease into the arms and they have worked great eversince. The owners manual says they should get lubed 2 or 3 times a year, more if you're in rainy and or dusty conditions more than normal. Give it a try and hopefully your problem will go away.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2013, 07:16 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post

The problem was when hooking it up for take-off, I experienced having a problem with both tow bars locking. The one on the left wouldn't lock. I tried doing hard right turns to get it to go and it wouldn't go after several attempts. Finally it took 3 people to lock the arms by hand and THEN attach...this was very difficult.

The next attempt at the next leg of the trip...it happened again.This time we hooked up one arm, and I got into the Element and turned the steering wheel in the direction as far as it would go, and backed up slightly to lock the other arm. Again this took 3 people, and was just as difficult.

Now I am afraid of this thing...I bought it so I could travel ALONE with a toad with NO trouble. I'm having nightmares that I'll be by myself and get into a jam...have to unhook the car, and then won't be able to lock it upon hooking up again. All while doing this ALONE.

I called the company after the 2nd occurrence they said my initial attempts at hooking up were correct, and they didn't understand why one arm won't lock.

DH suggested I try hooking up, and have the E-brake on in Elly before pulling forward slightly. I haven't practiced this yet...but will soon.

Thoughts?
They didn't understand because you were hooking it up correctly?
Is that the best they could do for you? We've had ours for 3 years and never a problem, the locking mechanism has been flawless. Maybe they should provide you a new one that works because one arm isn't locking. I would think this issue is covered by warranty.
Old 12-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #13

Love mine and so easy. Over 7000 miles and not one issue.
Mine on a jeep wrangler also.
Old 12-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by traveldogs View Post

Thoughts?
Cindy,
No one's answering your question. You're having a problem with ONE ARM of the tow bar. And, to be specific, it's the locking mechanism. Most of those locking mechanisms are actually quite simple in design. We purchased a Blue Ox Aladdin used off ebay and, while the operation of the locking mechanisms did seem to work ok, me being me, I disassembled both locking mechanisms, cleaned and inspected them for wear and whatever possible issues that may be developing inside the system that you cannot normally see into. All was well.

As for yours, well if you've got warranty, then in all reality this should be a no-brainer for the company, just replace it. Although getting some companies to perform warranty replacement might be harder than getting the new Obama health care program to work. If you don't have warranty, then, I don't know how mechanical you are or, anyone you know but, it might not be that hard to disassemble that locking mechanism to figure out why it's having such a hard time locking up. Based on what you're describing, it sounds as if the lock in point, however designed, is just not in sync with the locking lever. Not knowing how yours works, I'm only guessing here. Too bad you're not close.

If that doesn't appeal to you then, I'd surely take it to a reputable RV repair/service center of your choice and have it analyzed as to why it's malfunctioning. Good luck and, do report back if you find out why it's doing what it's doing.
Scott

FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote