Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-11-2015, 04:56 PM   #15

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruscifer View Post
dmurdock,

I noticed you live in Texas, so do I. I am having a heck of a time finding anyone that knows what a Readybrake is let alone how to install. Who did your install? Also, we bought a 2016 Trailhawk to use for a Toad. I was planning on a Blue Ox base plate. I am assuming I will need one even though the Trailhawk has built in Trailer hooks. Does this sound like a good plan? Any advice from anybody? Thanks. Pretty much a Newbie to Toads.
The ReadyBrute's manufacturer has a dealer locator on its website. When I purchased a new toad last year I used it to find Smitty's in Houston who did my new install. There are a number of ReadyBrute dealers in TX shown on the locator.

Yes, you will need a baseplate to attach the ReadyBrute to. The Trailhawk's hooks are not suitable for attaching a tow bar. I have a Blue Ox baseplate on my CR-V which connects to my ReadyBrute Elite.

docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-11-2015, 05:44 PM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I installed the readybrake part myself. Any competent mechanic shop should be able to do it for you (no need for an "RV" dealer). I would suggest asking them to install it so it can be removed/hidden when not in use if possible - I will shoot a short video tomorrow showing what I mean (just look on my youtube channel it will be there sometime tomorrow). FYI - most vehicles come with towhooks, etc.. these are NOT the same as towbar mounts - you will need some type of aftermarket towbar mount. Blue Ox is fine..personally I'd look at what's available and pick the one that's least obtrusive.

dmurdock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2015, 06:47 PM   #17
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
In all cases, a base plate is required. You cannot use a tow hook attachment. In most cases that I know of, the base plate replaces the tow hook and mounts in its place.

The Ready Brute with Ready Brake clevises can take either Demco or Blue Ox base plate pin attachments.

As my truck was new, I had my dealership do the install on the vehicle as I did not want any issues with my warranty on the truck and I would advise you to do the same for liability reasons.
Old 11-11-2015, 06:57 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I did the whole thing myself, ReadyBrute and baseplate. If you're handy and have some tools, it's not difficult, just time-consuming. The hardest part was running the cable through the firewall, but you just have to take your time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 07:50 AM   #19

Thanks Guys for all the responses. I thought I'd need the base plate but wanted to be sure.
docj, yeah I tried the dealer locator. The closest to me is about two hours away. When I called them...they weren't sure what a Readybrake was, and then '...oh yeah, the guy that did that retired...' so. The other 'dealers' are like four, and five hours away. Doable but trying to explore other options.
I am pretty handy...I have space and tools, but I am old and fat, and my Wife says she doesn't want to listen to it..LOL So I was trying to find someone that KNOWS about the Readybrake install...alas I will have to make do.

The most intimidating part to me would be the base plate install on a new Jeep.

Dogpatch, so I asked about it at the dealership and they said they were cool with the plan. However, what you say makes sense, and although they have proably never done one, I'm thinking that would be the best bet. That is, to take the stuff to them to do. I'll have to check on that.
dmurdock, looking forward to more videos. Would be cool to see the hook up and unhooking process. BTW have you had any problems with rocks hitting your Wrangler while towing?
THANKS!!
Old 11-12-2015, 01:51 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Thanks Guys for all the responses. I thought I'd need the base plate but wanted to be sure.
docj, yeah I tried the dealer locator. The closest to me is about two hours away. When I called them...they weren't sure what a Readybrake was, and then '...oh yeah, the guy that did that retired...' so. The other 'dealers' are like four, and five hours away. Doable but trying to explore other options.
I am pretty handy...I have space and tools, but I am old and fat, and my Wife says she doesn't want to listen to it..LOL So I was trying to find someone that KNOWS about the Readybrake install...alas I will have to make do.

Dogpatch, so I asked about it at the dealership and they said they were cool with the plan. However, what you say makes sense, and although they have proably never done one, I'm thinking that would be the best bet. That is, to take the stuff to them to do. I'll have to check on that.
dmurdock, looking forward to more videos. Would be cool to see the hook up and unhooking process. BTW have you had any problems with rocks hitting your Wrangler while towing?
THANKS!!
can't do video today will try tomorrow...later I'll do a hooking/unhooking video (it's real easy). No problems with rocks as the jeep sits up pretty high.
Old 11-12-2015, 03:40 PM   #21
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:

So I was trying to find someone that KNOWS about the Readybrake install...alas I will have to make do.

THANKS!!
Welcome to the Old and Fat Club!
Your Jeep Dealer can also do the Base Plate install. Better for them as some applications require removal and resetting of body parts to facilitate.

As far as the electrical connections, have the dealer do a Diode install into the main harness. It saves on going back to the rear brake lights. Don't do the bulb in the rear tail light lens install as some have done. Too many horror stories of them falling out and moisture in the brake light assembly.

I didn't bother with the light sensor line to the coach. Its part of the wiring package. It turns on a little light in your dash letting you know when the Ready Brake has activated your toad brakes.
Personally, I just trusted in the system and when set up, it works flawlessly.

Have you gone on the RSA Ready Brake site? Lots of info about the system. YouTube as well.
Old 11-12-2015, 05:43 PM   #22

THANKS!![/QUOTE]

We have been using our system for about 2 years now. Hookup takes wife & I about 5 minutes. We have not had any stone damage to our Jeep Wrangler, although I have found a few pebbles laying on top of the bumper.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2015, 11:18 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Tried to do a video but I've had strep throat and I just can't talk! I'll get to it soon as a hook up / unhook video is something that's been asked for multiple times in addition to how I setup the cable so it could be stowed out of site.
Old 11-15-2015, 07:59 PM   #24

Oh No!
Seems a lot of the Strep going around. Take care of yourself and post the vid with you are up to it.
Old 11-15-2015, 08:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Oh No!
Seems a lot of the Strep going around. Take care of yourself and post the vid with you are up to it.
Have a look at Blue Ox website for the baseplate that fits Trailhawk. They estimate 2 hrs. labor to install so pretty straightforward. Also have instructions there for you to review. Really not that difficult if you have basic tools and skills.
britcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2015, 04:34 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by britcon View Post
Have a look at Blue Ox website for the baseplate that fits Trailhawk. They estimate 2 hrs. labor to install so pretty straightforward. Also have instructions there for you to review. Really not that difficult if you have basic tools and skills.
britcon,

Thanks for the response. I've watched the video a couple of times, and think it's doable. Maybe a pain, but doable. 2 hours for an experienced professional, shouldn't take ME more than a week. That's including the Hospital Stay, but alas. I am...just kidding of course.
My Wife doesn't want me to try it in-case it is a warranty issue..makes sense, and as I mentioned earlier, she doesn't want too "...hear it...". I understand because I do get aggravated at times. I'd have to wait till she is at work, but who will drive me to the Hospital? Anyway, still an option, but..

I wrote Blue Ox and asked them which Base Plate would go on the 2016 Jeep Trailhawk. The answer was ;

"We have the vehicle in the factory at this time. So we will have information about the baseplate next week. However it is a new baseplate it would not be available for purchase until mid-December. I can let you know when more next week. "
Sounds like THEY don't know which plate yet. Maybe, the 2016 is different enough from the 2015 that they made a change?

I dunno ....
Old 11-16-2015, 04:51 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Bruscifer,check with Pharr RV there in Lubbock,thats who I bought my blue ox from and they installed it.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 PM   #28

Stan,
Thanks for the comment, and suggestion.
We actually have been in discussion with a fellow at Camping World here, and have a sorta agreement to have the plate installed, when we have it. It would be interesting to know how much different the price point was between them. I mean Pharr and CW. My guess is that it probably wouldn't be that different, but I am not that sure.
Either way neither would be as cheap as a self install.. and that is something to consider, and maybe should do an investigation into Pharr's prices.