Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-14-2014, 01:07 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Joe, after doing the job myself... I would say that is a very fair price. Did they install the lighting kit or harness to the tail lights of your toad as well?
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by StevieG View Post
Joe, after doing the job myself... I would say that is a very fair price. Did they install the lighting kit or harness to the tail lights of your toad as well?

Yep, they installed the baseplate, breakaway kit, braking kit, and wired the diode-type lighting kit into my tail lights!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 05:54 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
I bought all the materials, including the ReadyBrute Elite towbars and Roadmaster baseplate, online, and had a local truck accessories shop install the whole works. I think they charged me about $300 for the complete installation. Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

Same here. I need up with about 1600 invested total
Tim&Paula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:03 AM   #18

Well, as usual I ran into an issue with the install. The aftermarket tubular bumper on my Jeep occupies the same mounting spot that the Blue Ox tow bar will need. So, before I can finish this up, I will need to find a welding place that can cut the mounting brackets off my bumper and move them out about 3/8" so that I can mount everything back up.

I do have a welder, but I don't trust my welding skills enough to do the bumper. I'm glad I didn't have this installed by a shop, because they would have run into the same problem and probably not been able to fix it or if so, charged me a bunch to do it.

Anyways, still looking forward to my first towing trip, but it will probably have to wait until next month. Thanks again for the information.
Old 03-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I paid 600 hundred for the installation. This include base plate, wiring for lights and the whole kit and kabudle. It was worth it to me since I am on oxygen. I did order the ready brute elite myself for $890 and took the whole box into them, they ordered the rest of the parts, so my total cost was $2000. It was worth every penny,and I am happy.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:17 PM   #20
JC2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Davdeb1 View Post
I paid 600 hundred for the installation. This include base plate, wiring for lights and the whole kit and kabudle. It was worth it to me since I am on oxygen. I did order the ready brute elite myself for $890 and took the whole box into them, they ordered the rest of the parts, so my total cost was $2000. It was worth every penny,and I am happy.

And "that" is what's important. Whether someone paid more or less for a similar setup is irrelevant. You are satisfied and that's what counts. Enjoy
JC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 01:16 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor3650 View Post
I'm ready to finally get my tow vehicle set up. I've decided to go with a ReadyBrute Elite tow bar and Blue Ox base plate. The local RV repair shop quoted me $2,400 out the door for the setup. They said that includes: ReadyBrute Elite tow bar, safety cables, umbilical cord from MH to jeep, Blue Ox base plate, lighting kit for the Jeep and all labor. The parts come to about $1,800 with tax. That means that there is about $600 in labor. This seems like a lot to me. The RV place said that would include instructions on setting everything up, leveling the hitch to Jeep and setting up and adjusting the ReadyBrute Elite cable. Does this sound right or is it way to expensive?
I've looked at the installation videos and it looks relatively simple. I'm just concerned with doing this since an error could be very costly.
Thanks.
All the parts are under $1400, and that's a 1000.00 bucks for install. I did mine in about 6 hours. If I had to do it again and had a lift, I could do it faster. You may want to DIY. Sounds like they are ripping you off for parts and labor. Ya I know, everyone has to make a living.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 View Post
All the parts are under $1400, and that's a 1000.00 bucks for install. I did mine in about 6 hours. If I had to do it again and had a lift, I could do it faster. You may want to DIY. Sounds like they are ripping you off for parts and labor. Ya I know, everyone has to make a living.
I'm not sure where you are buying your parts at, but I couldn't find them for anything close to $1400. The ReadyBrute Elite towbar is $1050, the Blue Ox base plate is $400. Then I need the wiring kit, the RV to Jeep cord etc plus tax. It ends up being around $1800.
Old 03-20-2014, 01:32 PM   #23

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I'm not sure where you are buying your parts at, but I couldn't find them for anything close to $1400. The ReadyBrute Elite towbar is $1050, the Blue Ox base plate is $400. Then I need the wiring kit, the RV to Jeep cord etc plus tax. It ends up being around $1800.
I paid $910 for the ready brute. I got the base plates on eBay for 175.00, the cooltech harness right around 100 bucks. The coil cord from the RV to the Jeep, 85.00. The demco adapter was 110.00 from night shift auto. That puts us at $1380. Add another 20 bucks for misc stuff and we are $1400.
If you're not afraid to bruise a knuckle or two and have a day to spend on the project, this is not a hard project to DIY. I tend to want to save as much money as I can so I can buy other stuff when I want.
Oh, I looked on eBay for months before the Roadmaster base plates came up for auction. Camping world had a sale on the cord way before I was ready to do the install. I shopped bought and stored everything until I go all the parts together. It must of worked, I saved an addition $400.00
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Sounds about right for the tow bar and base plate... As far as the wiring kit... you can get a bulb and socket kit (BX8869) for about $50 ... and the unbillical cord between the Jeep and Mh is $50 to $65 (depending on the plug configuration) on Amazon. You should be all in for about $1600 (if you have to pay tax), not including your welding job or the breakaway... if you choose to buy one...
StevieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
I purchased tow bar and base plate from RVUpgrades.com for a grand total of $1286.99 (on sale, includes tax and shipping ). The CoolTech deluxe kit (includes umbilical chord (rv to jeep) and battery disconnect) from CoolTech was $155.95. So, grand total for me was $1442.94. No idea if that sale is still available but, if not in a hurry, might be worth waiting and watching.