Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-10-2013, 08:37 PM   #15

15,000 miles now, including time in the hills and mountains, and STILL loving the simplicity.

I think people that don't understand surge brakes fully are sometimes put off by it? Like the fear of burning the toad brakes up going down hills?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #16

Overland Owners Club
ReadyBrute System

Thanks to all of you. We are 5 months new to RVing, just got back from our first long trip, and just now down to figuring out the toad enigma. I just saw the ReadyBrute system in the FMCA mag yesterday, and came looking for these comments. I'm getting one for towing the F-150, as I like the simplicity, no braking unit to move around, and relatively cheaper cost. Grzly 03 in Temecula, CA.

Old 04-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #17

Fleetwood Owners Club
I've got mine set up to tow GMC 1/2 or Jeep Wrangler. 12,000 miles between the two totally trouble free miles. I came up with an LED indicator light that attaches to the brake pedal of the toads that let's me know when the brake is applied and released. I watch in the rear camera
sparkydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:35 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Add us to the satisfied Ready Brake/Ready Brute/Breakaway cable crowd. We're just getting into our 3rd year with our set-up and have logged about 15,000 miles so far.

Only issue we ever had was once when I was driving the Wrangler here around town. All of a sudden I couldn't get it to go faster than 40 MPH no matter how hard I pressed on the gas. And my "roll-over" warning light came on. Pulled over as soon as it was safe and got out to check things. Noticed my brake lights were lit with Jeep sitting there in "Park."

Went to the front and sure enough, the cable had gotten hung up on that hole it goes through in the bumper and was applying the brake slightly. Have never had that happen before, or since, and I wonder if the fact that I'd had to make a panic stop just before this occurred had anything to do with it.

What sold us on it was the simplicity of set-up and function, and not having to haul that box in and out. The fact that it cost less was icing on the cake.
Old 04-12-2013, 12:56 PM   #19

Another thumbs up for the Ready Brute system

beagle
Old 04-17-2013, 04:48 PM   #20
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I too am totally satisfied with our ReadyBrute towbar with built-in ReadyBrake!

I use it with the Protect-A-Tow shield and I can completely hook or unhook in 5 minutes or less!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:13 AM   #21

National RV Owners Club
If I recall the instructions call for a 2" slack in the brake cable. I started out with 2" and found the brakes were being applied too quickly. Ended up with about 3" of slack and can notice the difference. We tow a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I can feel the difference the braking makes if I'm stopping normally or quickly. I would imagine each tow vehicle would be a little different as far as the cable adjustment is concerned.

Very happy with the Ready Brake, quick, easy & works as advertised!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:05 AM   #22

I ran mine for about 5 years on two different Jeeps and two different motor homes, and it worked flawlessly. I love the simplicity of it as well. What is the old acronym... KISS.....

Our Travel Blog www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchickalaska
SargeW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:30 AM   #23
Rkh

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by debaets View Post
If I recall the instructions call for a 2" slack in the brake cable. I started out with 2" and found the brakes were being applied too quickly. Ended up with about 3" of slack and can notice the difference. We tow a 2000 Jeep Cherokee. I can feel the difference the braking makes if I'm stopping normally or quickly. I would imagine each tow vehicle would be a little different as far as the cable adjustment is concerned.

Very happy with the Ready Brake, quick, easy & works as advertised!
Been using mine for about 3,000 miles now and it seems to work great! How do you even measure the slack? I find this very difficult guesswork. On my set-up, I just pulled the cable taunt, then back it off just a little to ensure brake wasn't being applied all the time. The cable flings around and I find it hard to calculate 2".
Old 04-22-2013, 09:29 AM   #24

National RV Owners Club
The slack is the measuement from tight, or 0", to how much the cable bows down as you loosen the cable. It is hard to get an exact measuement. If you take a ruler and push down on the cable in the middle and then visualize a straight line above the cable, the difference is the amount of slack.
When I adjusted my cable on my 2000 Cherokee I first pressed the brake pedal in the Cherokee several times to release any vacumm that was in the booster. That gave me a true dead pedal. By pulling on the cable at the front of the Cherokee I could feel and see how far the cable traveled before the brake pedal started applying the brakes. The rest of the adjustment was trial and error and by 'seat of the pants' in the MH.
With the cable too tight I could feel and see in the camera, that the jeep brakes were coming on too quickly. Basically the jeep was trying to stop the MH. My next adjustment was too loose and I could feel the Jeep pushing me when we tried to stop. The final adjustment was just right about 3" of slack. Now when I stop (hard or soft) if feels like the jeep isn't there. So each braking system is stopping the weight of each vehicle.
Hope that helps.
Old 04-26-2013, 06:02 PM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just completed the first leg of our trip with the ReadyBrute. And it worked great! I had to adjust the brake cable before we left as it had stretched a bit during our test run. I am really impressed with the simplicity of this unit.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
baraff is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 10:47 AM   #26
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Another ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake happy camper! I love ours! I can connect or disconnect, including the Protect-A-Tow shield, in 5 minutes or less! The 8000 lb. rating on the towbars make me feel better too! Finally, I saved hundreds of dollars over anything else that I could find the had comparable ratings!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #27

Ready Brute works well for me. I have two different cars I tow (obviously not at the same time). The tow bar works on both but a separate a brake cable for the CRV and one for the Cooper. No need to buy a separate braking system for the second car, just the brake cable from the bumper to the brake pedal. I had previously used a brake buddy or similar device and this is so much easier.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #28

Equinox installation

Reubenray
I have a readybrake ready to install in a 2012 Equinox. Can you tell me approx where your cable goes through the floor under the brake peddle?
I have made a bracket to weld to the base plate for the cable in the front of the car. Just not sure where to drill the hole in the floor.