Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-20-2015, 11:46 AM   #1

Really need to leave key in ignition on 2006 Jeep Wrangler?

I am about ready to go on my 1st trip where I will be towing my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited behind my 2002 Monaco La Palma, and I have a quick question... I have a Roadmaster Falcon 2 and Roadmaster Invisibrake installed. The guy who installed it said that I need to leave the Jeep key in the 1st key position as I tow the Jeep down the road. As far as I know, the only reason to do this is so that the steering wheel won't lock and cause my tires to fry as I pull them down the road locked in a diagonal direction. However, I was reading the Jeep owners manual and it said that locking steering wheels were only installed on 2006 Jeep Wranglers that have the MANUAL transmission--I have an automatic. So... is it okay to tow my Jeep w/out the key in the ignition? Might be a stupid newbie question, but this whole thing is new to me... Thanks in advance. -Jonathan
Time2Retire is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2015, 12:21 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you try to turn the steering wheel by hand with no key in the ignition will it turn?

If it turns I would have to assume it would be all right to tow that way.

Another thing you could try is make a very sharp turn with the RV and stop half way through and go see if your Jeep's front wheels have turned.

On my Lexus it won't move until I put the key in and turn to the first position.

I can see the wheels turn in my rear view mirror.

We always do a visual inspection every time we leave with the toad connected.

My wife goes back to the car as I slowly pull forward. She makes sure all four wheels are turning. It's easy to pull with the brakes set or the transmission in park...trust me I know.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Will the Roadmaster Invisibrake installed get power without the Key on?
That may the reason the installer said to turn it on.

You may want to think about a charging line to the battery also.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Hi Jonathan and welcome to the club!

I'm not familiar with the Invisibrake so can't answer that question. I can echo what has already been said about the key - that is only necessary if you have a steering wheel lock. Which Wranglers have the lock seems to vary but it is easy to tell with the 'turn the wheel' test as previously noted. The only pattern I've been able to spot is that the manual transmission rigs seem to have the lock less often than the automatics.
Old 07-20-2015, 10:49 PM   #5

Our 2006 Wrangler Unlimited with A/T requires key in the ignition to unlock steering wheel. We use a non chipped key for that purpose. If you turn the wheels far enough without the key you can confirm if it locks or not. At first I didn't think it was required, but it seemed the Jeep needed a little more turn than I was used to to get it to lock.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:07 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have an unchipped key for the Odyssey because the column has to be left unlocked to tow four down. But I usually use the valet key and lock the Ody up. With four locks on the tow bar and two on the towbar I'm pretty sure the car isn't going anywhere.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 11:26 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Time2Retire,

all of the TJ's (auto's) in our group require the ign key to be in the first position to unlock the steering. Had a guy tell me his '04 didn't lock and he could take the key out. First time he flat towed and had to make a sharp turn he found out differently.... fortunately without too much damage! Turns out when he was testing he only turned the steering wheel about 1/4 turn and the wheel did not lock. However, when we turned the steering wheel between 1/2 & 3/4 of a turn it would lock. I recommend a thorough test before hitting the road. Be safe, have fun, and enjoy your travels.

PS. power is not supplied to the vehicle with the ign switch in the first position.
Thunderfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 12:02 AM   #8

There is also the possibility that the steering wheel lock has been removed from the column. I haven't done it but in reading several Jeep forums it's seems pretty easy to do.
falconman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 12:30 PM   #9

If you don't have a chipped key system, and you do have a steering wheel lock you can still leave the key in the ignition. All you have to do to prevent theft is to lower the glove box and remove #4 fuse. This will allow the engine to crank but it will not start
Old 07-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Time2Retire View Post
I am about ready to go on my 1st trip where I will be towing my 2006 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited behind my 2002 Monaco La Palma, and I have a quick question... I have a Roadmaster Falcon 2 and Roadmaster Invisibrake installed. The guy who installed it said that I need to leave the Jeep key in the 1st key position as I tow the Jeep down the road. As far as I know, the only reason to do this is so that the steering wheel won't lock and cause my tires to fry as I pull them down the road locked in a diagonal direction. However, I was reading the Jeep owners manual and it said that locking steering wheels were only installed on 2006 Jeep Wranglers that have the MANUAL transmission--I have an automatic. So... is it okay to tow my Jeep w/out the key in the ignition? Might be a stupid newbie question, but this whole thing is new to me... Thanks in advance. -Jonathan

I would install a knife type battery switch on the battery so the battery could be disconnected when towing your Jeep. Then there would be no issue with leaving the key in the on position. For safety sake you could also use a valet key just for towing purposes.
Lynn
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2015, 06:01 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I would install a knife type battery switch on the battery so the battery could be disconnected when towing your Jeep. Then there would be no issue with leaving the key in the on position. For safety sake you could also use a valet key just for towing purposes.
Lynn
So then how would he power the "Roadmaster Invisibrake"
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2015, 04:44 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
So then how would he power the "Roadmaster Invisibrake"
There are a couple ways this could be done.

1) Run a separate fused hot wire and a ground wire from the battery to the brake unit to have a dedicated circuit.
2) Does the 7 blade plug on the RV have a terminal which supplies 12v.?This could be tapped into to feed the brake. There should be a ground between the tow and towed vehicle already through the plug. This would eliminate running the battery dead in the vehicle being towed on long hauls.
Lynn
LETMGROW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 04:07 PM   #13

toad battery going dead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
There are a couple ways this could be done.

1) Run a separate fused hot wire and a ground wire from the battery to the brake unit to have a dedicated circuit.
2) Does the 7 blade plug on the RV have a terminal which supplies 12v.?This could be tapped into to feed the brake. There should be a ground between the tow and towed vehicle already through the plug. This would eliminate running the battery dead in the vehicle being towed on long hauls.
Lynn
Okay, perhaps a dumb question, I have a 2001 Dutch Star pulling a 2004 Honda Element. Brake buddy in toad is plugged into cig lighter socket. Ign sw is set to accessory when towing, all other items, radio, lights, etc are turned off in the toad. 6 pin connector from MH to toad. Center plug is 12v hot wire. Toad end of center plug goes to a resetable circuit break, then to (+) side of toad battery. when I plug it in, there is a slight arc in the plug. Everything works fine, but if towing more then 5 or 6 hours, the toad battery is dead.

I'm pretty darned sure the 6 pin on the MH and toad are wired correctly. I am considering putting in a diode between the resetable CB and the toad battery (+) terminal. Ideas?
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote