Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:32 PM   #29
Tiffin Owners Club
2007 Chevy Colorado crew cab 4x4.
Wanted to tow 4 wheels down and have room to haul my trade show display, I still need to work. ;-{

Here's where we are
bthomforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2007, 09:16 PM   #30

Alpine Owners Club
We tow a PT Cruiser GT convertible. We thought that the convert. would be a great car to sightsee by, and it is. The turbo is great in the high elevations, plenty of power. We can haul 4 people or pull the rear seats out and take our GSD along with us. The 5 speed is easy to tow, turn the key and go!

Tom, Patty, Hannah "The Big Dog" and Abby Kat, Indianapolis, Indiana 2000 36' FDS 72232 Our Photos
We live out in our old van. Travel all across this land. Drive until the city lights dissolve into a country sky, me and you - hand in hand.
Tom and Patty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007, 03:23 PM   #31
Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to mrschwarz
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Homer:
mrswchwarz: Have you ever checked your average mileage on your 07 Vue? If affirmative would you care to comment on it? I have a friend who wants to go to the Vue for a toad. From all reports, it is a good toad. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I haven't any problems towing it. It's easy to hook up and tows fine. I haven't measured the mileage, though.

Surprisingly, I also have an 01 Itasca Suncruiser 32V.
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD, Cummins ISL 400, Allison 3000, Progressive EMS, Aventa II, Air Force One, Tire Safeguard TPMS, Blue Ox Tru Center (maybe), Lotsa LEDs
mrschwarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007, 11:41 AM   #32
I started out with a tow dolly because I had two FWD vehicles, an I mpala and a Malibu. I found both very hard to load due to the low air dam. I decided to tow 4 down. I found a used Jeep Liberty and began the trek to set it up for 4 down.

I bought the Liberty to tow. It is also my daily drive. It isn't the best ride I've owned but it tows like a dream.
John, Connie and our dog, Miles

Bucks County PA
JJ Hamick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 05:04 PM   #33
1. Wife can't/won't drive standard.
2. Tow four-down.
3. Great gas mileage.
4. SUV space.

We chose the 2008 Ford Escape Hybrid. It meets all the criteria above. One caution though, Even Brake will not work in the Hybrid. It locks up the tires and flat spots them (I know). Brake Buddy on the lowest sensitivity works great. We love the toad.
Barney Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:58 PM   #34
Monaco Owners Club
Wanted a dingy with decent clearance, previous car (Pontiac Grand Am) was too low when going in and out of places rubbing the spoiler at times. Also found it a little small and harder to get in and out of the more we used it.

Knowing we were going to tow the next one as well we wanted a unit that was built by the manufacturer for towing as the Grand Am was. Saturn is a leader and of course other makes have models just as towable.

Loved the features that came standard, pricing, size, fuel mileage and salespersons knowledge of towing abilities, do's/don'ts. Most rv'ers tend to know more about dingy towing than the salespersons or so it seemed to me. So my guy was a great find.
Nice features such as smartwheel with controls on steering wheel, leather heated seats, sunroof,built in xm radio, onstar, 6 disc upgraded stereo, 17" wheels etc etc.

Enjoy the process.

Globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 02:59 PM   #35
Vintage RV Owners Club
I guess little pick-ups are just unwanted anymore...
1991 Chevy Pickup
1994 5th wheel 30 foot trailer
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 03:09 AM   #36
Honda Pilot, 4 down and love it. Lots of space, can seat 8 and drives/rides great.
Savannah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 AM   #37
Tiffin Owners Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Capt. Dan:
I guess little pick-ups are just unwanted anymore... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

My rig is a bit too small for towing our Toyota Tacoma PreRunner, but I'd love to tow it!
Warren and Debbie
2014 Tiffin Allegro Breeze 32BR
SeeTheUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 01:11 AM   #38
Jeep Liberty, use it only as a tow vehicle and it also allows me to put the back seat down and install a cage to keep my two four leg brats in the back and not up front with me trying to drive.
2007 CC Allure 470
76dc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:02 AM   #39
Monaco Owners Club
We just purchased an '08 Saturn VUE as a toad. For all of you that are looking at another car and have previously considered the VUE, but went elsewhere (as we did when we bought a Jeep Liberty in 2005), go back and try the 2008's.

They've gone away from the plastic body panels so the fit and finish is excellent; well insulated and much quieter than previously.That boxy styling has been replaced with more up-to-date styling, and it is all around a very nice ride. I've got no vested interest in Saturn; just want my fellow RV'ers to know. ..safe travels
J.B. & B.J. Carter

& Raleigh the Cavalier Wonder Dog Navigator
JanBCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 03:03 AM   #40
The toad needed to be an automatic that could be towed four down with no modifications. We wanted station wagon or small SUV carrying capacity. We also desired to have a toad that weighed less than 3,000 pounds even though the DP was rated for 10,000 pounds.

We leave the status cars in the garage at home, preferring to drag around a practical car... If we were full timing and stayed in one location for a while, we would choose something different. We want to drive more than squat, so the toad is only a convenience item.
Les Stallings
2006 Monaco Signature -45' Castle IV
All-Electric, Cummins ISX-600
Les Stallings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 04:39 AM   #41
Geo Tracker
- cheap ( $2000 used)
- light ( don't know exact weight , but don't know it's there )
- no mods to tow it 4 down
- fun to drive --- take the top off for and it goes almost anywhere due to small size and 4x4
JoeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM   #42
Towing a 2007 Vue Hybrid, upgraded from a 2000 Chevy Cavalier that I towed for 60000 miles with out incident. Getting older wanted more space and a better ride that the Vue provides.

2003 Mountain Aire 3781 W-22 Workhorse 2007 Vue Hybrid Co-pilot Sally Guard dog "Bandit" our shihTzu
Dan B. is offline   Reply With Quote