Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-14-2007, 04:55 AM   #43

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Dan B. same reason we switched from our 2005 Pontiac Sunfire to a 2008 HHR LT Chevrolet. The comfort and ease of access the higher seats and roof line provide. The Sunfire (also a Caviler) you had to fall into and climb out of. Getting too old for that.

That is also why I sold my 1993 Corvette Torch Red with White Convertible top and White Leather interior special ordered it in 1993. Also I would have had to buy an enclosed trailer to haul the Corvette.

Enjoy the comfort........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 AM   #44

We used to use the Kar Kaddy to tow our Town and Country minivan, but when it was time for a new vehicle, we wanted to go 4 down.

After researching lots of models, I narrowed it down to 3 and we went out and drove them.

1- HHR (not quite roomy enough for our family of 5 and dog. Like that the seats all folded down, but didn't like the small windows. Cool looking vehicle though.

2-Ford Escape- not enough leg room for my hubby

3-Saturn Vue XE- this is the one we ended up with. More leg room for hubby, good gas mileage, easy to tow and roomy enough for the whole family. This is the vehicle hubby will use for his work commute as well as when we are camping.

We were so impressed with the Saturn dealer, that we ended up leaving with an '08 Saturn Outlook as well (that one is for me and the kids).

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 07:32 AM   #45

Monaco Owners Club
Congrats on the 2 new Saturns! We also considered the 3 vehicles you list.

We chose our '08 Honda CR-V EX to tow 4-down because of it's safety rating, weight, road height clearance, MPG, and the ability to carry our flyrods and other fishing equipment down the dirt road to the river.

32 more days...
GoneFishin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2007, 10:49 AM   #46

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">

We chose our '08 Honda CR-V EX to tow 4-down because of it's safety rating, weight, road height clearance, MPG, and the ability to carry our flyrods and other fishing equipment down the dirt road to the river.

32 more days... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I didn't grow up in Metro Detroit and have 4 family members retire from "The Big 3", I would have seriously looked at some of the foreign cars. But I have to buy American...and being able to save $3000 through my mom was a great incentive

~Shannone & Chad [/COLOR]
Lil'Darlin1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2007, 03:46 PM   #47

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We have the Saturn Vue V6, auto, with the 17" wheels, we love the car.
1. wanted to tow 4 wheels down
2. needed to be an automatic, wife doesn't
drive a standard
3. ease to get in and out of, low slung cars are
really tough on bad knees
4. best gas mileage after the other requirements
were met. (someone asked earlier about the
mileage, we get a little above 20 MPG in town
and between 25 to 27 MPG on the road,
depending on how fast we drive) We have
almost 25,000 miles on ours.
5. lots of room to carry fishing gear, toys for
the grandkids, etc
IRVTrekin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 09:09 AM   #48

A used HHR with 21k miles on it because:
Regular cars are too low to sit in.
Auto transmission and cruise control are mandatory.
Light weight and economical.
Not a large investment, so I don't have to sweat the fact that it is dragging behind the m/h being a target for road debris.
That doesn't leave many choices.
After having the HHR for a couple of months, I can say it is a great toad. I am less impressed with the quality and refinement compared to the price class.
Old 12-15-2007, 02:39 PM   #49

Have been real happy towing 03 CRV for all the same reasons others towing them have stated, however I am now searching for an 06 though 08 Ford Ranger (4x4) auto with the seven foot box so that I can take my motorcyle along at times. Seems there is always a never ending list of things to buy.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:47 PM   #50

Charlie 78
We also, have a Chevy 2006 Trail Blazer. We can not pull out the key once its electronicaly shifted into neutral. What are your steps to set it up for towing? We just found out that after leaving it hooked up overnight the car battery died?
Thanks
Dave & Colleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:04 PM   #51

National RV Owners Club
My criteria was a 4x4 pickup no more than 5K lbs that could tow my 20ft boat. The Ford F-150 was too heavy, I don't do GM so I tested the Dakota V-8, wasn't impressed. I really liked the Toyota Tundra but knew it needed a driveshaft disconnect to tow. We set out to get the stretched cab, but test drove a double cab and fell in love. Its other advantage was it was one of the few double cabs with a full 6ft bed rather than a 5 1/2 ft bed. Anyway, when we bought it we had the dealer install the disconnect. We have since sold the big boat and traded the MH up to a diesel pusher. We also added a motorcycle and since we wanted to take it with us added a Cruiser-ramp loader to the pickup. It continues to be a fantastic truck and I have had zero problems with the disconnect.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 09:39 PM   #52

I agree with all the nice things that have been said about the Saturn Vue and I am glad that was my choice for a toad but there are a couple of things I really don't like about driving it. I have the V6 engine 2WD and the turning radius is huge,I belive it is larger than the Ford Expedition I just got rid of. Also, I am never comfortable with how much rear view vision I have when changing lanes or backing up. Whichever way I look left, right or rear, I always feel I am not seeing enough. Otherwise it is a great little car but check these things out if you are considering getting one.
AvoJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:38 PM   #53

2008 Subaru Legacy GT Spec B

Wanted a high performance AWD Sports sedan available with a
manual transmission and able to be towed four down. The turbocharged
intercooled six speed bad boy Subie was about the only choice available
and I love it!
Old 09-18-2010, 05:54 AM   #54

We owned a 2008 Smart ForTwo before we bought the MH. I installed a Blue Ox base plate and it tows like a dream. Only weighs 1800# but still runs and feels good at interstate speeds.
Bago40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 06:24 AM   #55

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Our Ford Windstar wasn't towable. Honda kept coming up in our searches as reliable and towable. We thought that Honda Odyssey was a little on the large side and Honda CRV was a bit on the small side. Honda Pilot seemed to be perfect; 8 passenger seating with no luggage, 'stow and go seating' 5 passenger seating with normal amount of luggage space. Good mileage, good reliability, all around a great vehicle.

It's a great toad. Don't even know it's behind us. We're very happy with it.
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2010, 08:01 AM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
We like the Jeep Cherokee Sport, around 3000 lb tows 4 down, 4x4 1990's run from 3 to 6 Thousand. I put the Blue OX base plate on myself. hauls five and the dog, 4 wheel drive,we enjoy getting off road in AZ and the little Cherokee does a nice job,