Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 09-19-2010, 10:12 AM   #57
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
2008 Ford Escape Hyrid: Easy to set up and no need to stop and deal with the transmission after x number of hours. It's light weight was also a major factor.

'07 Fleetwood Bounder Diesel 38N
Brazel's added: MP-8, Aero Muffler, Koni FSD Shocks, Bell Crank and Comfort Ride Control Valves. '08 Ford Escape Hybrid, Brakemaster 9100
Korryp is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2010, 10:53 AM   #58
Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
1994 Geo Tracker. Why? We were thinking either get a dolly and tow DWs Intrepid or buy a Wrangler. Can't tow my Escalade near as I can tell and it is a little heavy. Back and forth we went on what to tow. Then I see a friend drive by in the Tracker. He bought it from a guy that used it for guess what? A toad. Already set up with the baseplate and wiring. Doesn't he go and sell it. So the guy who bought it has it at his business, a marina about 500 ft from our house and it sits with no plates for a long time. Finally I ask him if he wants to get rid of it. $1600 and it is ours. best part is that most of the 97K miles on it were from the mechanical odometer being turned while it was being towed. Five new Firestones, new convertible top, new brakes and a fresh tune up. It is really in great condition.

For the tow bar I found a Blue Ox Aventa II on Craigslist for $170.

It was going to be a stopgap until we got something permanent but I like it so much I am thinking of just keeping it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tracker.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	5532  

Mark & Nancy
2004 Winnebago Vectra 40KD
Shep dog, R.I.P. Kenzie dog Toad 2015 Jeep Wrangler Willys Wheeler
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #59
Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
O.K., We chose a 2006 Honda Civic 4 door (140hp) with a manual trans. (much easier to handle than the auto with the tow hookup routine and long tows). Got a custom made towing bra to protect the front, Coastline Cover Company: Tow Car Shields. A trickle charger to keep the toad battery charged on long tow days, RVUpgradeStore - Toad Charge Towed Vehicle Charger. Easy to hook up using the Falcon bar and key locks,Fulton Locking Hitch Pin for 2 inch Receivers RL-63. Do not "feel" the car behind the RV. Tows easy, follows the RV around tight turns just fine. Have not had any issues. Did wear out a set of tires, new car tires are soft and wear quickly, replaced them with a higher mileage tires (harder) and these are wearing fine. Oh and great gas mileage with the Civic, always something like 34 mpg and with a 10.5 gallon fuel tank it is easy on the fillup dollars.
Steve & Leslie
Winnebago 2007 Adventurer 38T
Honda 2010 CR-V "Toad"
Stevegd007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:02 PM   #60
What about a Medium size Truck

I've been looking at cars to tow. I want to be able to carry either an aluminum or rubber fishing boat on top as well as pull my 19' fishing boat at times when not being towed, of course. Ford bodies are so thin that they can't carry much weight on top; whereas, many good cars choices can't pull the heavier boat.
What about the Chevy Colorado 4WD with extended cab? Anybody have experience with this or other medium trucks to tow?

rampage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:24 PM   #61
Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Chevy HHR was my choice. 1. no trans pump or anything else. 2. just hook up the tow bar, lights, put trans in neutral and go. 3. It is light and easy to tow, don't know it is there. 4. it has four doors and will carry five adults easily.5. it handles well at highway speeds. 6 It makes 30mpg. 7. It has reasonable cargo space.
dajudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:49 PM   #62
Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
PT Cruiser convertible. Wanted the opportunity to just drop the top and take it all in when sightseeing. We LOVE it.
Steve & Sally / HiTee & Hudson Our Little Poms / Heidi & Houston Forever in our Hearts
04 NEWMAR MACA 3778 W22 / 05 PT Vert
Michigan (Summer) Florida (Winter)
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:25 AM   #63
Winnebago Owners Club
We have towed A VW. 2 blazers Dakota Quad Pu. We wanted some comfort So we bought a 09. LTZ malibu. It is the best; And our freeloading friends like to ride in it to.
bachler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:48 AM   #64
Winnebago Owners Club
Honda Fit. We wanted something that had an automatic trans and was light to tow 4 down. It only weighs 2400 lbs so it tows like it's not even there. Lots of room inside with seats that fold down. Fantastic gas mileage - 33 around town and over 40 highway.

We put the Blue Ox kit on ourselves without any complications and used the Blue Ox diode light kit for light hookup. All in all a day-long project but not difficult.

There is a pre-tow list of things to do that takes about 3-4 minutes and it needs to be repeated if you tow over 8 hours (hardly ever for us). Max tow speed 65 mph for the Fit but we generally don't go faster than 62 mph anyway.

The Fit fits our needs!
Ron, Joan
2005 Itasca Sunova 34A
2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
RVJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #65
2004 Element

We chose the Honda Element as it was within the weight limits of our first rig and was an automatic and didn't require a pump or disconnect.

If we were to choose today it would be something like an Avalanche for the ride comfort of the tow and no limits (time or speed).
2011 Airstream Classic Limited
2011 GMC Sierra 2500HD Duramax/Allison
Techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 09:31 AM   #66
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towed a Ford Ranger for a couple of years; found out the 4WD didn't tow as well as it should; tires wore out quickly. Got a 2WD, manual transmission and it towed great. THEN my wife saw the Lincoln MKX AWD! Although we are not full timers, we are on the road about 8 months of the year. The Lincoln tows great; simply put it in neutral and away you go. Tow weight is about 4200 lbs but haven't really had any problems towing that much. I have a 10,000 pound hitch on the motor home and use Even Brake. Sure is nice to have a luxury car to do our sightseeing which we do very often. Our Lincoln is a 2009 and we have towed it over 6,000 miles so far with no problems!!
2010 Winnebago Tour 42AD
Toad: 2009 Lincoln MKX AWD
JBroadaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:26 PM   #67
Because I already owned it and enjoy driving it. 30 mpg isn't a bad reason either. (Please don't tell BMW that I did this.) 30,000 miles towing.
2014 Itasca Cambria 27k
Shuffster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 08:27 PM   #68
Winnebago Owners Club
We did it a little different we tow and enclosed trailer with Goldwing/TriCar and Smart Car. Got to have my toy Also can to our Pruis on tow dolly in the summer. Smart Car can be towed 4 down but I am not set up for that.
Dean & Mary (Retired U.S.A.F.) plus Purr
2012 Itasca Sunova 33C, 2015 Malibu LTZ w/Blue Ox setup & Brake Buddy
goldwingerx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:22 PM   #69
National RV Owners Club
We have two Jeeps, a 2003 Liberty and a 2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4-door. We have stuck with Jeeps due to ease of towing 4 wheels down, manual transfer case to neutral, transmission in park - no fuses to pull, no speed or distance limits. We use the US Gear tow brake. We've pulled them for 5-6 days without disconnecting, no battery drain, just start them up. Both Jeeps fit four adults comfortably.
2007 TropiCal LX T370, Cat C-7
2008 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited, US Gear
PeachH180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:52 PM   #70
Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Skype™ to HotMech
My god, all the expensive toads.
I tow a 1988 Ford, Bronco II.
Two reasons, one it cost me $925.00 with $500.00 in improvements, shocks, tires, yada,yada, yada. bought it originally as a snow fighter. Two, I wanted a toad. Welded up a base plate, found a towbar on e-bay for $50.00 bucks, cut up some chain lenghts, and bam, one wonderful Toad,Light weight, and easy to tow. Oh, and of course, the Unified Tow Brake. I don't plan on replacing this Toad, just keep it going. can also ad my PWC trailer in tow, for the "train" effect, damn I love the looks I get.

Damn, I'm Good!
"I've got dozzens of friends, and the fun never ends, that is, as long as I'm buying."
HotMech is offline   Reply With Quote