Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-13-2015, 12:29 PM   #1
Receiver bike rack for CRV

I am planning to put a hitch receiver on my 2012 Honda CRV. The rack weighs 40 lbs. and the combined weight of the two bikes is about 74 lbs. I am planning also to put a double receiver on the MH for traveling, but need the rack on the CRV for local travel. Is this a workable idea?

paul schick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2015, 01:05 PM   #2
Originally Posted by paul schick View Post
I am planning to put a hitch receiver on my 2012 Honda CRV. The rack weighs 40 lbs. and the combined weight of the two bikes is about 74 lbs. I am planning also to put a double receiver on the MH for traveling, but need the rack on the CRV for local travel. Is this a workable idea?
Should not be a problem. I have a 2011 Accord with a Curt 1 1/4" hitch that has a pull capacity of 2000 lbs. and a tongue weight of 200 lbs.

2013 HR 43DFT RR10R
All Electric FWS-Tag
FMCA 451687 Monaco Int.
Gdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 09:56 AM   #3
We have a 2014 CRV and put a 2" receiver hitch on the CRV for the bikes. This vehicle is also our toad and we plan to travel with the bikes on the back of it.
Sue and Tom

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 04:33 PM   #4
I have looked into it for our 2012. It looks like it's pretty easy to do and not too expensive. I think that the towing capacity is1500# with a hitch weight of 150#, so you should be ok.

Do consider what else you might haul in the car. My wife found in the book where our passenger and gear limit is 850#.

I would/will get a 2" receiver. You will have more racks from which to choose and the hitch on your MH is most likely 2".
coupevilleDF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #5

Just had a Curt 2" hitch installed on the Honda CRV 2012. Also purchased their plug & Play trailer light connector. All was easy to install and nice photos to walk you through the install. Many more options for the bike carrier with a 2"...might on use the connector but then again, a home depot trailer for mulch ect some day...
nkgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 06:49 PM   #6
Happy with the Swagman

Have been through 4 bike racks with 2 motorhomes and 2 fifth wheels. Never really happy until I took the advice from here and bought the Swagman brand mounted on a 2 inch receiver on the back of the CRV.
A few bucks but way better than the time I was flagged down by a passing motorist as I dragged a bike down the road off the back of the fifth wheel.

2004 Allegro 32BA
2005 Honda CRV
TimLoon is offline   Reply With Quote