Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2013, 07:43 PM   #15

That is why I bought a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the blue ox ends. Instead of a 3yr warranty with a blue ox tow bar, Ready Brute has a Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2013, 10:00 PM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. The bottomline is these towbars indeed have a lifetime (which I did not know about--my mistake) and cannot be taken for granted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
From the Blue Ox website

This is very interesting and supports the position taken by BO in the case of my failed unit. And as someone said mine was admittedly used so one cannot be sure how mistreated it was in its previous life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
If you ever go to rallies, you may find Blue Ox there, as they do offer a $25 inspection and refurb service in a lot of these places.

We had ours done in Quartzsite this year - $25 well spend.
Frankly, I think BO should do an inspection of this nature without charge. While some will argue they should be paid for their service, I would argue such service should be a part of customer relations. As a small business owner myself I certainly would not charge a customer for such an inspection of my product to see if it was failing or needed adjustment.

Attached is a photo of the failed part. And BTW as I said what irked me most was BO's failure to even care or offer some words of apology (without of course admitting any guilt on their part).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0601.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	232.6 KB
ID:	38040   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0602.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	38041  

colo.kids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 12:41 AM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by colo.kids View Post
Frankly, I think BO should do an inspection of this nature without charge. While some will argue they should be paid for their service, I would argue such service should be a part of customer relations. As a small business owner myself I certainly would not charge a customer for such an inspection of my product to see if it was failing or needed adjustment.
Just to clarify - the $25 service by Blue Ox I was referring to is a refurbishment of the tow bar. They take the tow bar apart - they replace the nylon washers and any other small items, and they tighten everything up. I am sure that Blue Ox will inspect your tow bar for free, but any work that needs doing they will charge a small sum for.

This is the system that most automotive businesses goes by. Example: I am sure that Chevy will have a good look at your truck and tell you what needs doing, but I doubt very much that they will service/repair it for free.

danes-on-tour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 05:23 AM   #18

Mine is all steel. Yes heavy, but after seeing that pic, I don't think I'll mind dealing with that weight quite as much any more?

Are they still selling them with the 8K rating and made of alum? That seems like a LOT of weight on a component like that one....
Old 05-02-2013, 05:29 AM   #19

Glad everything turned out well for you. Thanks for the reminder to give mine a once over.
FRR2EYW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #20
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcgribks View Post
That is why I bought a Ready Brute Elite tow bar with the blue ox ends. Instead of a 3yr warranty with a blue ox tow bar, Ready Brute has a Lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
+1

One nice thing, among many, about the Ready Brute is that you can adapt it to any manufacturer's baseplate.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2013, 06:33 PM   #21

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Demco has a limited lifetime warranty on their tow bars.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:42 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by danes-on-tour View Post
Just to clarify - the $25 service by Blue Ox I was referring to is a refurbishment of the tow bar. They take the tow bar apart - they replace the nylon washers and any other small items, and they tighten everything up. I am sure that Blue Ox will inspect your tow bar for free, but any work that needs doing they will charge a small sum for.

This is the system that most automotive businesses goes by. Example: I am sure that Chevy will have a good look at your truck and tell you what needs doing, but I doubt very much that they will service/repair it for free.
In that case I agree with you that it was money well spent and I also applaud with BO willing to provide the inspection without charge. My opinion of the company is improving.
Old 05-10-2013, 05:45 PM   #23

You asked about using a different brand tow-bar with your Blue Ox base-plate. Roadmaster offers their tow-bars with two options to attach to either the Blue Ox base-plate or Roadmaster.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 09:44 AM   #24

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray,IN View Post
You asked about using a different brand tow-bar with your Blue Ox base-plate. Roadmaster offers their tow-bars with two options to attach to either the Blue Ox base-plate or Roadmaster.
I wish I had know this earlier as I would certainly gone that route. Thanks for the info.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:52 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
I have Roadmaster bar and a Blue Ox base plate . All that that was necessary was to order Blue Ox ends for the Roadmaster bar .. Works well
Old 05-12-2013, 06:04 PM   #26

Aluminum has definite fatigue life especially around welds. I've seen so many aluminum failures in different things. If you have an aluminum tow bar, it's not a matter of "if" it will fail, but "when"!
rssnape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rssnape View Post
Aluminum has definite fatigue life especially around welds. I've seen so many aluminum failures in different things. If you have an aluminum tow bar, it's not a matter of "if" it will fail, but "when"!
Good advice. I do not know of course if the yoke is made of aluminum but if that is the case a would think the design is flawed and reckless. It is my understanding this component was replaced with a steel yoke in later years, but still the company dis-avows any wrong-doing and as I said before is above saying their are sorry for any resultant problems or failures.
Old 05-16-2013, 07:25 PM   #28

iRV2 No Limits Club
This should be reported to the NHTSA. Catastrophic failure is a liability issue for the manufacturer and they should be involved, I would be talking with them. It is correct that aluminum has a finite modulus of elasticity, but if designed correctly, well consider DC 3's still flying after how many decades.
Shadowcatche is offline   Reply With Quote