Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:42 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Recommendation for Brake Controller

Hello all -
We are looking to use a car hauler to tow our Honda Ridgeline behind our 2002 37T. We really, really like the car/truck and don't want to get another vehicle that can be towed flat. We have done that in the past (2002 Saturn) and that was really, really nice. But for now...we don't need 3 cars with only 2 adult drivers, and neither of our cars can be towed flat. So next best is all 4 up towing on a hauler. We do have experience towing 4 down plus with a tow dolly.

We've located what appears to be a good all-metal hauler designed for just this task, but I wanted to investigate wiring needs and brake controller before proceeding.

The RV does not have a brake controller; is this something that I will be able to install? (Reasonably mechanically inclined; I do nearly all of my own RV work - shocks, refrigerators, furnaces, wiring, etc.) but I am not experienced with wiring for tow vehicles.

Any input would be much appreciated.

2002 Fleetwood Discovery 37T DP
Cat 330hp 3126B
Towing 2001 Saturn SL2
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2015, 05:47 PM   #2
It's not that hard to install a controller. Mostly just running wire. Some of the wiring might already be there if you have any kind of trailer package.

nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 08:22 AM   #3
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
2006 HR Scepter 42DSQ
Playtime IV
Holiday FL
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 06:57 PM   #4

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks for the Brake Controller input

I'm glad to hear that installing a controller isn't too difficult. I've run power and cabling for a backup camera (crawling under the rig front to back), so a single wire front to back shouldn't be too tough.

I'll definitely check in to the P3 as a recommended controller as well.

Cheers -

2002 Fleetwood Discovery 37T DP
Cat 330hp 3126B
Towing 2001 Saturn SL2
ziaptrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 10:55 AM   #5
Tekonsha P3, IMHO, leaves the rest in the dust. Set it and forget it! Yes, it is that good.
Bill & Denise
2014 Bay Star 3103 - 5 Star Tune
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4 Limited
BPoland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:44 PM   #6
Recommendation for Brake Controller

My son just bought a big Rex 10k trailer with a p2 controller it works well also not a fancy as p3. Rv maybe prewired if it has a 7 pin plug.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 07:25 PM   #7
Tekonsha P3 here too.
What chassis? It may be prewired for a controller.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B

dvmweb is offline   Reply With Quote