Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-16-2013, 07:25 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVH.O.G. View Post

I was just told the brake switch worked off the ground wire, that would axplain why nothing "Hot" at brake switch.
Think I just got the answer, front run compartment, wire labeled 62A. Thanks for everyones help.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #16

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Thanks for hijacking the thread. Still looking for mounting locations. The steering wheel cross bar blocks the view of the obvious location (but a knee knocker) below the dash instruments.

Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 06:47 PM   #17

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post
Thanks for hijacking the thread. Still looking for mounting locations. The steering wheel cross bar blocks the view of the obvious location (but a knee knocker) below the dash instruments.
Here is where I mounted my Prodigy for hauling my 30 foot Rolling Garage Pace Cargo Trailer.

Photos attached.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVH.O.G. View Post
I was just told the brake switch worked off the ground wire, that would explain why nothing "Hot" at brake switch.
You really shouldn't hijack a thread as you did. It would be better to start one of your own in the correct category to get the best exposure and answers.

However, to answer your question, my brake lights come on when my PRXB PacBrake engages. That's the way I want it so people behind me know that my rig is slowing down. BUT, the trailer electric brakes do NOT engage at the same time. The trailer brakes ONLY engage when I step on the service brake pedal. If your trailer brakes engage when the exhaust or engine brake engages, then someone has wired the electric brake controller wrong.

You don't mention what coach year and model you own however mine is a 2002 Monaco Windsor and in the FRB aka Front Run Bay, there is a brake light wire which is where I picked up the signal to use for the controller. BUT, it was a negative signal, NOT the positive signal that the controller needs. Therefore, I needed to add a relay to convert the negative Brake Light signal over to a 12 VDC positive signal.

I have the wiring diagram if you would like to see it. Just send me a PM with your email.

The Prodigy controller has four wires, 12 VDC positive (Black), 12 VDC negative (White), 12 VDC positive brake signal (Red) and Electric Brakes (Blue).

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodigy-1.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	33800   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodigy-2.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	33801  

Name:	Prodigy-3.JPG
Views:	40
Size:	91.7 KB
ID:	33802  
Old 03-22-2013, 06:32 PM   #18

I found a spot that should work. I bought a corner bracket and mounted it to the left console.

Now, where are the wires? In the left console I found a 3-set (Red-White-Blue) but the red and white are connected to a red light on the console just above the trans gear selector. I have no idea what this light is for, it is not in any of the manuals and the wiring connection is not professional. I have to take a meter/test light to these to see what they are.

I also found a 4-set (labeled CP82) but the colors are wrong (R-W-Or-Gy). Meter/test light shows: 12v; 12v(Ignition); Ground; Unknown. I tried getting a reading with the Ignition in ACC and pressing the brake pedal but no luck.

The is a bundle of white wires but they are smaller gauge than 12ga.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:04 AM   #19

Monaco Owners Club
Call the Holiday Rambler Customer Service Tech line and they should be able to tell you the most likely place to find the wiring harness.

On my 2002, I knew that it wasn't pre-wired from the factory so I did all the wiring myself.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #20

The snow has all melted here so off to the MH to try again. I did call HR and the Tech told me to look behind the dash for a 6-pin connector with 5 wires. I asked if I can get to it from the access panel on top of the dash and he said; probably not.

The dash came forward easily enough. There are a crap load of 6-pin connectors. After almost giving up I found one taped to the headlight switch bundle. Aha, a 6-pin with 5 wires! I peel back the black loom and some of the wires are labled brake controller, trailer brakes, IGN, 12v, GND. I opt to put a test light on the wires to confirm the labels. IGN, GND, 12v all work as marked. The brakes get no response, but I shouldn't get one. HOWEVER, the controller wire is hot with the ignition on but goes out when I step on the service brake pedal. This is opposite of what my P3 controller needs. I need it to be hot when I step on the pedal, not the other way around.

Suggestions?
Old 03-27-2013, 08:34 AM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
You state that there are 5 wires but you only list four. What is the fifth wire?

To help, I need to know the function of all of the five wires you found.

As stated earlier in this thread, your Prodigy Brake controller needs four wires to operate correctly, 12 VDC positive, 12 VDC ground, 12 VDC positive BRAKE signal from your coach brakes, and the fourth wire is used to send the 12 VDC voltage to your trailer brakes. That wire should be a fairly large one.

Also, the connector at the rear of your coach should help you identify what each wire is I would think.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-27-2013, 02:05 PM   #22

The five wires are labeled; (and my estimated gauge size) (and my test results):

197 to brk cont; (14ga) (hot except for when I step on the service brake pedal)
1958 trlr chrg; (10ga) (always hot)
199 ignition; (14ga) (hot with key in run position)
157 gnd; (10ga) (continuity confirmed with ground)
196 trlr brk; (10ga) (see below)

I turned on the parking lights and jumped the Park and the Brake terminals on the trailer 7-pin connector under the rear bumper. I got 12v reading on the wire labeled 196 under the dash. At least I appear to have a viable brake wire running front to back.

There is an eighth wire under the rear bumper. It was not hot so I jumped the Park terminal to this wire and the unknown lamp on my console illuminated. I'm guessing it was some feedback lead for the PO's towing set up.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:19 PM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
Okay, now we are getting somewhere.

196 should be used for your trailer brake wire to actuate the trailer brakes.

1958 or 199 can be used for your 12 VDC positive to drive the Prodigy. Depends on whether you want it to go through the ignition key or not. Mine does not and has power to it full-time but the Prodigy's are setup to hibernate when there isn't any power or activity.

157 will be used for your 12 VDC ground.

The 197 wire does NOT make any sense to me as to how it functions. I believe this is the wire that should be used for your Service Brake Pedal Signal. However it is supposed to give a 12 VDC positive signal when you step on the service brakes and not the other way around.

Are you sure that you are getting a constant 12 VDC POSITIVE signal without the service brake on and your get NO 12 VDC Positive signal when the service brake pedal has been pushed on?

If that is true, then you will need to install a relay under the dash to reverse the signal. I had to do that as Monaco had used the negative wire for the Brake Signal so by adding a relay wired properly, when I step on the service brakes it activates the relay which sends a 12 VDC Positive signal to the Prodigy which is what it needs,

Let me know what you determine from checking one more time to make sure. Then I can step you through how to wire up the relay correctly.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Old 03-28-2013, 09:10 AM   #24

I am sure the pedal kills the power to 197. I would be interested to see your relay set up to reverse this.

My alternative was to confirm a wire marked; "brake lamp" coming out of the Monaco 2 box in the front run electrical bay works the way the P3 needs. Then run a 14ga "signal wire" from it to the P3. Not ideal as I do not know if the Exhaust Brake would or would not signal the brakes.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:54 PM   #25

I found an old iRV2 post that included a Unified Tow Brake sheet addressing this reversed brake signal issue on 2005 Monacos and where to get the signal from (Front Run Bay). It calls for a relay wired as follows:

85 and 86 connected together and 12v power [I used my 199 wire and a jumper]
30 Orange controller wire [For my P3 it is RED]
86 Lead from wire#102 out of the Monaco Box 2 [I used my 197 wire]

From Google I found another Relay schematic to reverse polarity and it just appears they swapped the relay pairs from the UTB example:
30 and 86 together and 12v input
85 (trigger)
87 output

I made the connections to the supplied P3 wires while the Battery Disconnects were OFF. I then turned on the batteries and ignition then used a test probe to verify the connections. I was not going to connect the wires to the P3 until I was sure everything was correct.

I tired both relay wiring examples and could not get 12v power on relay terminal 30 (terminal 87 on the second example) when I pressed the service brake.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:57 PM   #26

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Playtime III View Post

I am sure the pedal kills the power to 197. I would be interested to see your relay set up to reverse this.

My alternative was to confirm a wire marked; "brake lamp" coming out of the Monaco 2 box in the front run electrical bay works the way the P3 needs. Then run a 14ga "signal wire" from it to the P3. Not ideal as I do not know if the Exhaust Brake would or would not signal the brakes.
After reading your last post, you did not hook up the proper wires to the correct terminals on the relay.

I used the Brake Lamp wire in the Monaco #2 box which is a 12 VDC negative signal. I purchased a four lug relay from NAPA and wired it exactly like what is described in the UTB Unified Tow Brake document that I have attached. Worked like a charm.

It would be more difficult to make up a wiring diagram to use your 197 wire for the Brake Lamp Signal but it can be done.

I would suggest that you focus on using the correct Brake Lamp wire in the Monaco Box #2.

Here is how it needs to be wired.

Constant 12 VDC Positive needs to go to terminals 85 & 87.

85 is one side of the coil being the 12 VDC Positive side.

87 is the 12 VDC Positive that you are going to send to the Prodigy from terminal 30 once the coil activates and closes the contacts in the relay.

30 is the wire that connects to your Prodigy

86 is the lug used for the wire that you need to tap into which is the 12 VDC Negative wire in the Monaco #2 box.

Not sure which one it is for you but they are labeled if you look real close.

The plug where the wire is colored grey and you can see the blue quick-tap where I spliced into the 12 VDC negative Brake Lamp wire.

Do NOT use the 197 wire for anything as it is useless the way it is presently working.

Let me know if you need further help.

Dr4Film ----- Richard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Gray Plug-2.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	35833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodigy Brake Relay-1.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	35834  

Name:	Prodigy Brake Relay-2.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	35835   Click image for larger version

Name:	Prodigy Brake Relay-3.JPG
Views:	31
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	35836  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf Unified Tow Brake Controller Brake Signal.pdf (174.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 03-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #27

As suggested, I ran a new 12ga wire (my 14ga wire was too short) from wire 102a in my Monaco Box 2 to the relay terminal 86. I capped the 197 wire from the Monaco trailer harness. It works! Thanks Richard.

Tags
brake