Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-12-2013, 05:16 PM   #1

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Recommendations for brake controller mounting location

Getting ready to dolly tow our car behind the MH.

I am looking for recommendations on where to locate the Prodigy P3 box within my reach and yet not a knee knocker. The P3 has to be mounted in line with the direction of travel but there is no limitation beyond that (i.e. can be installed verticle or horizontal or anything in between).
Playtime III is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2013, 04:53 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
That cockpit area is tight, one idea is to fab a bracket that would bolt to the bottom of dash offset bend the metal like a "Z" and have the P3 mounted to that on top, then locate the whole thing by the steering post or off from it so it can be reached and seen good - just a idea
Old 02-13-2013, 06:14 AM   #3

By your post it looks like you are towing on a dolly, wouldnt your dolly have brakes?
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 06:30 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbstewart View Post
By your post it looks like you are towing on a dolly, wouldnt your dolly have brakes?
gbstewart
Precisely the problem... If like most dollys it has electric brakes and needs a controller in the powered vehicle. Therefore the question, "where to mount the controller?".
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
Precisely the problem... If like most dollys it has electric brakes and needs a controller in the powered vehicle. Therefore the question, "where to mount the controller?".
ok, now I understand, the last dolly I used had surge brakes, I wasnt thinking of electric brakes
thanks for pointing that out to me.
gbstewart
gbstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:13 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
What about the wireing, when Pac-Brake engages (letting off throttle), tail light light up, actuating trailer brakes. Could burn up trailer brakes
RVH.O.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:17 AM   #7

I just bought the Kar kaddy SS460 which has surge brakes and it was very smooth to tow. Which dolly are you looking at that has electronic brakes?
Old 02-15-2013, 12:27 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoafan View Post
I just bought the Kar kaddy SS460 which has surge brakes and it was very smooth to tow. Which dolly are you looking at that has electronic brakes?
I have 2 trailers I tow. One is a tow dolly the other is a 16' dual axle flat bed utility. Both equipped with electric brakes. I installed the brake controller in the '05 Monaco Diplomat same as Ford F250. Problem is when I let off the throttle the Pac Brake engages illuminating the tail lights signaling the trailer brakes to engage, without touching the brake pedal.
Old 02-15-2013, 12:40 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVH.O.G. View Post
I have 2 trailers I tow. One is a tow dolly the other is a 16' dual axle flat bed utility. Both equipped with electric brakes. I installed the brake controller in the '05 Monaco Diplomat same as Ford F250. Problem is when I let off the throttle the Pac Brake engages illuminating the tail lights signaling the trailer brakes to engage, without touching the brake pedal.
just get it rewired so it doesnt engage untill the brake is pressed. A simple procedure.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
just get it rewired so it doesnt engage untill the brake is pressed. A simple procedure.
Then what wire gets tied into the brake controller signal wire. Brake controller has 4 wires Black- Battery (+), White- Battery (-), Blue- trailer brakes, and Red- tail light. Out of the air treddle valve (brake pedal) are two pressure switches both with 3 wires. Red, black and blue, the blue wire ends at tha wire harrness plug. None of the wires are ever "HOT", pedal pressed or not.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Then what wire gets tied into the brake controller signal wire. Brake controller has 4 wires Black- Battery (+), White- Battery (-), Blue- trailer brakes, and Red- tail light. Out of the air treddle valve (brake pedal) are two pressure switches both with 3 wires. Red, black and blue, the blue wire ends at tha wire harrness plug. None of the wires are ever "HOT", pedal pressed or not.
Cant comment on your unit but when the brake pedal is pushed the switch somewhere connects a hot lead to the brakelights. Thats just how they work! Any mh repair facility should know, or can call your chassis manu for the correct wire. Even the brake controller cust serv should be able to tell you.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:50 PM   #12

Quote:

You make it sound like a simple procedure. If so simple than why can't RV dealers tell me how. Their answer " I know people pull trailers with electric brakes but I don't know how they hook them up". Some talked about needing a relay, others talked about needing a diode, to isolate the foot wiring from the Pac Brake wiring. Tractor trailer car haulers, Hot Shots, say spend $450.00 for an air actuated brake controller. I know I can do this I just need the right answers.
Old 02-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by anotherone View Post
Cant comment on your unit but when the brake pedal is pushed the switch somewhere connects a hot lead to the brakelights. Thats just how they work! Any mh repair facility should know, or can call your chassis manu for the correct wire. Even the brake controller cust serv should be able to tell you.
You are right problem is with the Pac Brake switched on, remove foot from accelerator, brake lights come on activating brake controler
Old 02-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #14

Quote:

You are right problem is with the Pac Brake switched on, remove foot from accelerator, brake lights come on activating brake controler
I was just told the brake switch worked off the ground wire, that would axplain why nothing "Hot" at brake switch.

Tags
brake