Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Recommended 12V compressors?

I'd like to get a 12V compressor so we can air up the Jeep's tires after off roading. There were times last summer in Utah that we sure could have used this ability on rocky terrain...it's an 'old kidney' thing.

We do not do any 'rock crushing', but would like to soften things up a bit for comfort and added traction as well. Ideally, the compressor would just plug-in to one of the Jeep's power outlets and have the ability to air all the tires back up to road specs... within our life times. Compactness would be a plus as would minimal air up times.

So how do you Jeep owners, or those that air down for off-road use, air back up after the 'fun' ends? What air compressors do you recommend? Thanks, Bob

'05 Monaco Windsor 40 DST - ISL / '08 Wrangler
scenic route is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2011, 03:24 PM   #2

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Bob,
Look at this thread, it has all the info you are looking for.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/air-...sor-88240.html
Ron
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:00 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
Bob,
Look at this thread, it has all the info you are looking for.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/air-...sor-88240.html
Ron
Thanks, Ron. That thread mainly talked about the Sear's 150psi, 1.5 gallon tanked compressor that runs on 120v ac. I just bought one today to replace the 40lb + pancake we lugged around last summer. The Sears model weighs less than half...and very welcomed at that!

What I need is something that will run on 12v and be small enough to tuck somewhere in the Wrangler, yet air up to road specs. in a reasonable amount of time. Your link did mention this one...looks promising. Thanks, Bob

Old 04-06-2011, 04:05 PM   #4

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
That's the one! Good luck and have fun 4 wheeling. I'm looking for an older jeep to tow and all them around these parts must be made of gold or have Jimmy Hoffa's body in them- more money than I would spend for an extra vehicle.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 04:56 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Knights View Post
That's the one! Good luck and have fun 4 wheeling. I'm looking for an older jeep to tow and all them around these parts must be made of gold or have Jimmy Hoffa's body in them- more money than I would spend for an extra vehicle.
I hear ya, they aren't giving 'em away, that's for sure...and when we are not towing ours, it's my MAIN transportation. That's why if you can, go with a '07 or newer model. They made some chassis changes in '07 that really helped the handling and comfort levels (i.e., you might still have your kidneys at the end of the trip). They are a hoot! Bob

Old 04-06-2011, 05:21 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I haven't seen a 12 volt air compressor that was worth the money they were asking for it and would actually put air into whatever needed to be aired up.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Dr4Film is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:35 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr4Film View Post
I haven't seen a 12 volt air compressor that was worth the money they were asking for it and would actually put air into whatever needed to be aired up.

Dr4Film ----- Richard.
Yeah, I've owned a couple of those...but what do the hard core off-road'rs use to air up those monster tires they run? Surely there's something out there that will air my weenie 17" stock tires without investing half a lifetime. There's more research in my future, but it still doesn't trump experience... Bob

Old 04-06-2011, 05:51 PM   #8
KIX

Look at Puma air compressors. To get reasonable performance expect to spend a litle over $200. When you find one that meets your expectations then shop the i-net for a good price.

BTW Smittybilt makes one with a dual compressor for around $140.......if you're going to spend $140 I wuold suggest you spend another $75ish and get a Puma
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 06:51 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For the JEEP there are many good 12 volt compressors.

For the Motor home..... I've yet to find a good one.

I have used several 12 volt compressors over the years on cars, all wear out sooner rather than later but I tend to buy low end. Still, they do work well till they wear out.. I think I have 2 or 3 in the motor home (or else in storage).

I do like the way that Sears job you mentioned works though
Old 04-06-2011, 07:54 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Look at Firestone, they sell airbags, compressers, air tanks, and pressure switches. You can email them if you have a question, they got right back to me. I have had air shocks on my jeep for years, and I just put on a compresser, tank, pressure switch, valves and gauges. Now I can raise and lower them when I am driving. I have not tried airing the tires, I know I will not set any speed records, but it will be a big improvement to drop the shocks and slowly air the tires.
cj5 jeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 02:44 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by scenic route View Post
I'd like to get a 12V compressor so we can air up the Jeep's tires after off roading. There were times last summer in Utah that we sure could have used this ability on rocky terrain...it's an 'old kidney' thing.

Ideally, the compressor would just plug-in to one of the Jeep's power outlets and have the ability to air all the tires back up to road specs... within our life times. Compactness would be a plus as would minimal air up times.

So how do you Jeep owners, or those that air down for off-road use, air back up after the 'fun' ends? What air compressors do you recommend? Thanks, Bob
The requirements for airing up Jeep tires is much different from airing up RV tires. For an RV the best compressor is a 120 volt compressor since the RV needs 100 psi or more for its tires. For the Jeep only 30 psi, or so, is needed to air up after being offroad.

The other Jeep requirement is to be able to carry the compressor in the Jeep. Sometimes you have to drive quite a ways to get to the trailhead. You then air down, do the trip, and then air back up before driving back to the RV. Keep in mind when we air down we are talking about 9-12 psi, in other words the tire is technically flat. Driving more than a few miles on pavement at any speed above 20 mph is really hard on the tire, so we want to air back up before going home. NOTE: airing down to anything above 15 psi is useless.

There are several alternatives for "offroad air". I'll start with the most expensive...engine power air compressors. Check out ::Kilby Enterprises:: This alternative mounts a York compressor under the hood and can cost up to $1,250 before installation. It comes as a kit, but they will sell the components if you want to scrounge your own. Note: the York is a old style piston over sump air conditioning compressor converted to air use. It is also the best, it produces lots of air and at pressures that allow you to use impact wrenches and other air tools.

Cheaper alternatives that work well are the "ARB High Output Onboard Air Compressor" $250, the VIAIR line of compressors up to $300, Smittybilt has one for $75, Warn sells some $580, Sun Performance, etc. For an overview of whats available visit: Search Results - Quadratec

One key difference between the prices and the units is their cubic feet per second rating. For the most part you are looking for a low pressure, high volume pump. Also a pump that draws less than 10 amps, that can be plugged into a cigarette lighter will take 7 minutes or so to air up one tire.

Another list of compressors: http://offroaders.us/reviewbox/showcat.php?cat=10

Another alternative is to carry a bottle of CO2. Check out: http://www.quadratec.com/products/92042_0011.htm

I have the Kilby engine powered compressor in my TJ.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 10:15 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
One key difference between the prices and the units is their cubic feet per second rating. For the most part you are looking for a low pressure, high volume pump. Also a pump that draws less than 10 amps, that can be plugged into a cigarette lighter will take 7 minutes or so to air up one tire.
With the exception of the "will take 7 minutes or so to air up one tire", this is what I had in mind. I guess I'll need to go with one of the more expensive alternative. alvinc, thanks for all the info and for your thoughtful response...and to the others as well. Bob

Old 04-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post

Cheaper alternatives that work well are the "ARB High Output Onboard Air Compressor" $250, the VIAIR line of compressors up to $300, Smittybilt has one for $75, Warn sells some $580, Sun Performance, etc. For an overview of whats available visit: Search Results - Quadratec

Another alternative is to carry a bottle of CO2. Check out: PowerTank PT105250YL - PowerTank (Package B) 10lb. System in Yellow - Quadratec

I have the Kilby engine powered compressor in my TJ.
I have a Viair 12v. Compressor it works great I looked into a CO2 Tank type unit too much for something that might never get used but there again I have used my Viair unit maybe three times not for our RV but our cargo trailer and once for my neighbors car.
"Semper Fi"
w6pea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #14

in parts train there a lot of jeep parts you can choose from compressor and etc.
jdaniels1477 is offline   Reply With Quote