Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-16-2016, 06:14 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Recommended set up to tow Wrangler

I have a 2015 Newmar BayStar. I've read a lot about different tow setups, but would like to hear what people have used and are happy with such as tow bar, baseplate, auxiliary brake system and toad lights. Thanks!

2015 Newmar 3401 BayStar

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2016, 10:42 AM   #2

Ready Brute Elite tow bar with built in surge brake. Blue Ox baseplate. Installed it last Fall myself with all new parts for less than $1500 and it has been flawless. I highly recommend this setup. What I might have done differently: rather than spend approx. $300 on the baseplate, I probably would have bought an aftermarket front bumper for a couple $100 more that would have had the tow hooks already installed.

Old 05-17-2016, 10:59 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
X2 on ReadyBrute setup. Also consider Currie baseplate. And agree, if planning to add aftermarket bumper consider to do so and tow from there. RockHard is one company that activity provides numbers to do this, as do others.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 12:28 PM   #4

I have a Rock Hard bumper with mounting points for the tow bar. Cost more than a base plate, but doesn't reduce clearance and I wanted one anyway.

Old 05-17-2016, 12:59 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
I went with a Demco base plate, Blue Ox 6,500lb tow bar, RVI2 brake and Mopar wiring harness. As previously posted if you are thinking at all about an aftermarket bumper go with a RockHard or an LoD bumper. Both have tow points attached directly to the Jeep frame. I wish I had done that, but I bought the Demco and installed it with a stock bumper, then a year later got an itch for an aftermarket with winch. RockHard even makes an aluminum bumper (the tow attachment points are steel) that only weighs 35lbs, but it is a bit pricey.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	12Wrangler-PortAransas.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	291.5 KB
ID:	127305  
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 03:40 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Currie baseplate/rockguard. I did the install, had to do a little metal cutting (about an inch) to get it to fit which is in the instructions (blue tape picture). Blu Ox tow bar.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	2013 Hot Rod Power Tour 094.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	261.7 KB
ID:	127324   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Hot Rod Power Tour 090.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	127325  

Name:	2013 Hot Rod Power Tour 087.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	172.7 KB
ID:	127326  
legryz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 09:32 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
We tow a 2015 4 door Jeep Wrangler with the Blue OX system and it's works great. We just bought a new coach and need to get a new breaking system. Had a Break Buddy for years, but really don't want to have to haul the break buddy that you have to put on the floor of the driver's side. Heard about some that are installed in the car, and you don't need to use the separate unit in the car's front floor. Any suggestions on a breaking system? Thanks
Old 05-18-2016, 09:39 AM   #8

I have a BX1126 Jeep Wrangler JK baseplate for sale. $150.00 plus freight. Includes the pins, plate, and the two safety cables. Fits standard bumper JK models. I can be reached: ranger at tcq.net.
Old 05-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt Dan View Post
I went with a Demco base plate, Blue Ox 6,500lb tow bar, RVI2 brake and Mopar wiring harness. As previously posted if you are thinking at all about an aftermarket bumper go with a RockHard or an LoD bumper. Both have tow points attached directly to the Jeep frame. I wish I had done that, but I bought the Demco and installed it with a stock bumper, then a year later got an itch for an aftermarket with winch. RockHard even makes an aluminum bumper (the tow attachment points are steel) that only weighs 35lbs, but it is a bit pricey.
Dan do you have a motorcycle lift on your MH? If so which Blue Ox did you go with? I am going to put the Hydra Lift on my MH and would like to tow a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock. Any suggestions for a complete set up???
michmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 12:33 PM   #10

Can't comment on the Hydra Lift, there is another post about it. Here's our 2016 Hard Rock with the Blue Ox baseplate. I installed it yesterday, pretty straightforward. You lose part of your approach angle if you wheel hard. The bottom of the metal skid plate is level with the bottom of the baseplate. Took a little courage to cut the metal corners out of the skid plate! Fits between the frame mounting flanges of the base plate.
Old 05-18-2016, 12:41 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmac View Post
Dan do you have a motorcycle lift on your MH? If so which Blue Ox did you go with? I am going to put the Hydra Lift on my MH and would like to tow a 2015 Jeep Wrangler Hard Rock. Any suggestions for a complete set up???
Michelle, I don't have a lift on the back and I use a Blue Ox Alpha which is rated at 6,500 pounds. Plenty for a 3800 pound Jeep and it mates perfectly with the Demco base plate.
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport and/or '08 Honda Goldwing
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2016, 02:00 PM   #12

The Rock Hard Bumper has only three baseplate options for it's bumper. Will any of these work with the Ready Brute Elite?

What do I need to flat tow my Wrangler?
If you have a Reese, Blue-Ox, or Road Master tow bar bracket we have the ultimate accessory for you. Because of our unique mounting method, you can simply bolt on the following mounts to our front bumper and have a perfect fitting adapter.
RH-8000-RS - Reese tow bar bracket kit
RH-8000-BO - Blue-Ox tow bar bracket kit
RH-8000- RM - Road Master tow bar bracket kit
Old 05-18-2016, 02:05 PM   #13

Found this on the NSA website so it looks like the Blue Ox will work.

NSA RV Products manufactures two different tow bars. The Ready Brute is an aluminum all terrain style tow bar that is rated for 8,000 pounds tow capacity and installs into any 2 inch receiver hitch. Our other tow bar, the Ready Brute Elite, is the same tow bar but it also has our Ready Brake supplemental surge brake integrated into it. Most people choose the Ready Brute Elite because it is a tow bar and brake system all in one.

A base plate bracket is required on your towed vehicle in order to attach a tow bar to it using clevis connectors. We manufacture our aluminum clevis connectors to fit Blue Ox, Demco or Roadmaster brand base plates. We can also make custom clevis connectors for other applications if requested. Please choose the correct clevis connector when placing your order.

Old 05-24-2016, 07:09 AM   #14

Another vote for the Currie plate.

Works great with the Blue Ox tow bar (you have to use adapters for the Roadmaster)

IMHO it's a much cleaner look on the Jeep than other mounting plates.

Slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow