Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 02:55 PM   #15

Don't need 4WD. In fact not looking for it because of towing limitations with dolly. Need dolly because want to be able to tow a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country, 2007 Honda Odyssey (I know this is iffy), a 2007 Toyota Sienna and what ever else we buy like a CR_V or RAV4 or????. Need the last item to haul the deer in--gave up the small truck search for the 4 seat capability. Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 05:33 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnp_macklin View Post
Maybe I'm "old school" thinking it here, but wouldn't *ANY* 4WD vehicle with a manual transfer case be able to be towed on a dolly? (older jeeps, SUV's, etc) Just put the transfer case in neutral, so the driveline freewheels.... then you're good to go. Two down or four down.... it wouldnt matter.

Most yes. Some not. Driveshafts are turning some internal parts of the xfer case and need to ensure they are lubricated when towing.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Towing four down, CHEVY HHR, just turn ign to acc, turn off fuse switch, make sure trans in neutral and tow, no mileage limits, and no running eng ever so many miles.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:12 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by cc8375 View Post
Been towing a Honda CR-V for over 13 years. On my second one. No problems.

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...yGuide2013.pdf
We had a CRV with our first MH. Went to a FIVER.
Now back to a MH. 40U Winnie wil have a CRV.
poppopc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #19

Can the CR-V be towed on a dolly??
Old 06-11-2013, 07:35 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by fighterpilot View Post
Don't need 4WD. In fact not looking for it because of towing limitations with dolly. Need dolly because want to be able to tow a 2000 Chrysler Town and Country, 2007 Honda Odyssey (I know this is iffy), a 2007 Toyota Sienna and what ever else we buy like a CR_V or RAV4 or????. Need the last item to haul the deer in--gave up the small truck search for the 4 seat capability. Thanks
I like that...two people in the front seats, two deer in the rear seats. You are getting some good advice and some input that is incorrect. Some 4x4 vehicles can be towed 4 down or on a dolly. I know you said you don't need 4x4, but bad information should be corrected in case someone else is reading this thread with the same question. I had one experience with a tow dolly on a long trip. I suggest you rent one first to see if you like it. Backing up is a royal pain . But with 4 down, you can't back up at all, so there's not much of a win there.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:15 AM   #21

Cool

We tow a Hyundai Elantra Touring on an Acme EZE Tow dolly. The EZE tow has surge disc brakes. It tows so well I have to look in the back-up camera periodically to remember it is there. The HET is a 4 door with hatch back rear door. It Seats 4 people very comfortably. The rear seats also fold down so you can carry a lot of gear in the back. We actually carry a glass top patio table in the back with a lot of room to spare. The HET is less expensive than the CRV and gets better mileage. Down side is it sits a little closer to the ground. That said I've made several day trips up gravel mountain roads without dragging bottom.

We found a one year old Hyundai Certified pre-owned at about 80% of the cost of new and still got the full factory 100K warranty.

Good luck with whatever you decide on.

P.S. I really like the EZE Tow but would probably buy a Demco Kar Kaddy S.S. if I had it to do over. The Kar Kaddy cost twice as much as the EZE tow but is much easier to load.

WM
Old 06-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #22

Appreciate the information. By further searching I have determined they offered the RAV4 in front two wheel drive only as well as AWD. They also offered a 5 speed manual tx as well as an automatic tx. Now my question did they offer the front 2WD only model with a 5 spd manual. I know they did with the automatic but how about a manual tx for that model?? If so what years? Can't go much newer than a 2000 model for cost considerations. This would be the third vehicle in the family and than primarily for towing use. Got to tow on dolly because configuring 4 different vehicles for flat towing would cost more than the dolly even by using one multi use brake system in each car, to say nothing of the cost to get the MH rigged for that use.

I was under the impress that the Honda CR-V was AWD, but that has been corrected by a post on the forum so same question from above would apply here. Front 2WD only with manual tx.?? Thanks
Old 06-11-2013, 02:55 PM   #23

Late thought, too late to edit, but if the CR-V, RAV4 or for that matter any other Front Wheel drive only vehicle are automatic vice manual it shouldn't make any difference as long as towing on a dolly. Is that a good assumption? I just need to look for front wheel drive vehicles that meet our needs, don't have to worry about the type of transmission.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:07 PM   #24

Yes the Rav4 was offered in a 2WD 5SPD configuration from the beginning up to about 2005. They will be hard to find since Toyota didn't import that many with a 5SPD.

2WD automatic models are more available especially in southern California and the southeast states. Almost none were sold in the Midwest or northeast.
Old 06-11-2013, 03:13 PM   #25

Yes, just about any front wheel drive is dolly towable. Doesn't matter if it's auto or manual. Older RAV4's and CRV's are logical choices as they are very reliable.
bearaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #26

Ok, search is on for a CR-V or RAV4. Been searching Craigs list within 100 miles of Pensacola, Fl. Upped the budget to $4000 but they are scarce at that price limit. We missed a 2000 at $3900 this week. Thanks for all the input.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:36 AM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Some 4x4's can be towed 4 down, if the transfer case can be placed in neutral.

Chuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
Yes, you are correct. Even my 05 Yukon XL 3/4 ton 4x4 with an electronic transfer case can be towed 4 down. However, can't do it with my coach, too heavy for it.

Chuck
The OP wants information on using a DOLLY with a 4X4. Many can't be, even with a transfer case. I don't know the particulars, but it has something to do with the front and rear axles not rotating at the same time/speed.

I agree, going 4 down would be simpler, but that was not the OP's question.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 12:27 PM   #28

OP doesn't want 4x4. Wants front wheel drive two wheels only. Thanks

Tags
toad