Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2013, 09:00 PM   #1

reconsidering toad selection

Had been considering small trucks but decided hauling 4 people was more important than hauling a deer. Besides can throw a deer in the back of the smaller vehicles that will seat 4. Now considering RAV4, Honda CR-V, Jeep, Suzuki Sidekick, and Toyota 4Runner to name a few. Want to tow on dolly because of need to tow a number of other different family vehicles. Don't know much about the named vehicles as to how many can be towed on rear wheels with out any big changes. Just release the brake, put 5 speed in neutral and go. Any opinions would be appreciated. Thanks
fighterpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2013, 09:30 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Only the front wheel drive CR-V is towable on a dolly, not the AWD.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:11 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I deleted my input as it was incorrect.
njs42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 10:13 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by njs42 View Post
I have towed my 04 AWD CR-V 30,000 miles. It says right in the manual how to set it up to tow. Can't speak for all years but the CR-V is still touted as towable 4 down, and this is the first I personally have heard of an exception for AWD.

Best thing to do is to check the manual for the vehicle you want to tow to be sure; regardless of what you might read here or anywhere else.

The CR-V is one of the most popular 4 down tow vehicles. Worth investigating.
Yes, it was!!
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 11:07 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
If you are towing with a dolly, many more vehicles come into play as a toad, in fact nearly anything that is front wheel drive, for example (check owners manual to confirm) . In our case, we started with a dolly we found on Craigslist (roadmaster 2000-1) but switched to a 2003 tracker 4WD and towing 4 down to save 600 lbs of dolly weight to better match our 3,500 towing limit. I paid for new brackets and tow bar, but have since found good deals on used ones locally as well.

Some dollys don't have brakes. I would avoid them for safety reasons.
Old 06-10-2013, 06:11 AM   #6

Most, if not all, 4WD and AllWD are NOT towable on a dolly without disocnnecting the rear drive shaft. Most all front wheel drive vehicles are towable on a dolly.
That pretty much limits what direction you need to take based on your vehicle, either 4 down or dolly.
BTW. Most pickup trucks are rear wheel drive and can NOT be towed on a dolly either, unless you disconnect the drive shaft.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:30 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Toads for 4

I don't think any of the Toyota's (RAV, 4Runner) are towable wheels down without mod to the drivetrain. There are lots of CRVs towed wheels down but I think the later models are not endorsed by Honda for towing. I don't know if either Hondas or Toys could be put on a dolly. I see a lot of minivans towed via dolly.

I had a Geo/Chevy/Suzuki Tracker 4x4 and it was a great toad. Very lightweight, good on gas, pretty sturdy. I had a 2 door and it would hold 4 but the 4 door versions look roomier. A Tracker weighs less than 3000lbs. You can buy a used Tracker for $4000. I am not sure if a Tracker would work with a dolly.

IMO, I'd forget about the dolly and tow a used vehicle wheels down and trade when required. Dolly's look like a pain to store after you arrive in a lot of CGs.
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 06:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Jayco Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
I infer from your post that you'd like four wheel drive. As Selah has already mentioned, no 4X4 will work with a dolly without modification or partial disassembly.
2024 Ford Expedition
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:05 AM   #9
YC1

Check out an H3 Hummer. Probably not on a dolly but 4 wheels down and very comfortable and will haul deer.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 08:41 AM   #10

If you decide to tow 4 down, look up Motorhomes "Dingy Towing Guide". It gives a great list of the major vehicle manufactures models and what is needed for towing.
Jeeps and CRV are probably the most popular 4x4 towes but there are many others as well.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:35 PM   #11

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMonroe View Post
I infer from your post that you'd like four wheel drive. As Selah has already mentioned, no 4X4 will work with a dolly without modification or partial disassembly.
Some 4x4's can be towed 4 down, if the transfer case can be placed in neutral.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Maybe I'm "old school" thinking it here, but wouldn't *ANY* 4WD vehicle with a manual transfer case be able to be towed on a dolly? (older jeeps, SUV's, etc) Just put the transfer case in neutral, so the driveline freewheels.... then you're good to go. Two down or four down.... it wouldnt matter.

jnp_macklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 12:55 PM   #13

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnp_macklin View Post
Maybe I'm "old school" thinking it here, but wouldn't *ANY* 4WD vehicle with a manual transfer case be able to be towed on a dolly? (older jeeps, SUV's, etc) Just put the transfer case in neutral, so the driveline freewheels.... then you're good to go. Two down or four down.... it wouldnt matter.

Yes, you are correct. Even my 05 Yukon XL 3/4 ton 4x4 with an electronic transfer case can be towed 4 down. However, can't do it with my coach, too heavy for it.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2013, 01:11 PM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Been towing a Honda CR-V for over 13 years. On my second one. No problems.

http://www.royrobinsonrv.com/images/...yGuide2013.pdf
cc8375 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
toad