RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 11-27-2017, 05:01 AM   #1

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Redi Brake

Has anybody used the Redi brake system?

hydro45640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2017, 09:02 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Are you referring to the ReadyBrake from NSA RV Products? If so, we have been using it since getting the MH in 2012.

It's simple, effective, and the lowest cost system out there that I know of. Sometimes it's a big problem running the cable through the firewall to the brake pedal, depending on the vehicle.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #3

Yep
Ran the "Ready Brake" for quite a few years 'till I wore it out. Then, I migrated over to the M&G Brake system. But, the Ready Brake is a good unit. The companies instructions for install and some of the components are too sloppy and hoaky for me so, I did some modifications which made the system about twice as easy to adjust etc. And, the way I installed it, it was not PERMANENTLY installed on the brake pedal arm. The cable was laying under the floor mat until it was needed. When it came time to hook things up, all the wife did was reach under the floor mat, grab the cable end and, place it on a pin that I pressed into the brake arm. A small clip was then inserted in a hole in the end of the pin which locked the cable to the pin, done.

I used a marine stainless steel turn buckle for the actuation cable adjustment between the tow vehicle and toad. WAAAAAAY SERIOUSLY easier to adjust and, looks WAAAAY better.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 11:05 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
2 years with the Ready Brute Elite and not one complaint or problem. I also installed a turn buckle for easier adjustment.
NRA Endowment Life Member, FMCA 455593, WIT 170814 & Mid-Ohio Winnies
Cover Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #5

I use it and love it. Easy to connect and disconnect. Probably no more difficult to install than any other permanently installed system. I think most folks try to over think the adjustment and amount of slack in the actuating cable. It doesn't need to be as precise as most folks imagine it does.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:39 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ours has over 75,000 miles of towing three different toads and used on two different motorhomes. New cable with every new toad but main unit is original. No problems.
Suzie & Chuck USNR USAF USCGA Challenger Owners Club 2015 37KT Challenger, Demco Commander tow bar, Ready Brake, Sewer Solutions, Safe-T-Plus 41-230, 5-Star tune, towing 2017 Ford Edge FWD 3.6L V-6 four down & 385 FastTrack kayak in the basement.
Summer - Creede, CO Winter - Okeechobee, FL
ctpres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 04:30 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Lots of people use it- including us! We like it a lot, no regrets at all for going with the ReadyBrute Elite.
Easyrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 08:47 PM   #8

15k miles towing behind our rig - VERY pleased - NO "Brake Buddy" type box to install, remove, STORE!

2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P, 1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC, 1989-1993 Tents!
Loggenrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:17 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
We've been using one for several years after I saw them at a Quartzsite booth. I was using a Brake Buddy which I had to send back once to have repaired and it failed again. I immediately bought it; they came out to the desert where we were parked and hooked it up for us. The BrakeBuddy ended up in the trash in Parker. I've had it installed in 3 different vehicles.

On my latest, a 13 Ford Edge, it was a tad challenging to run the conduit(sheethed cable housing) from the front thru the firewall. I just had to find the path of least resistance and minimal turns. It worked fine for about 6 months and then one day after driving the car, I came to a stop sign and the car acted like the parking brake was on, it would move, but barely.

I called Ford and told them I thought my parking brake was sticking or the brakes were locking up. I arranged to have it towed the next day to Ford. The next morning, I went to move it to the street for ease of the towing co. to pick it up. Somehow it corrected itself, so I drove it to Ford to have them check out the brake system anyway.

They could not find anything wrong, even after driving it extensively. I got it back and within a half mi, I came to a stop and it did the same thing. I limped back to Ford and left it with them. The next morning when they went to check it out, it worked fine and they were at a loss as to why it was acting like that.

So, after spending some $$$ for diagnostics, I just picked it up and continued driving it. It worked fine for about a month, then I was in stop and go traffic on the freeway and it locked up again. I pulled over the the shoulder and let it idle for few minutes, then when I went to put my foot on the brake to put it in gear to check it, my shoe clipped the backside of the pedal and it came back about 1/2"; I put it in gear and it worked fine.

I then started thinking, perhaps it is the cable itself, so I disconnected it from the firewall and ran the cable back and forth freely and when retracting, it would "catch" in the conduit. The problem was, I had too sharp of a bend in the conduit going up to the entry point of the firewall and it was wearing inside and pinching the cable.

I called Todd at NSA and told him I needed a new conduit and he sent one out and I re-positioned it on the firewall so it had less of a bend and it has been fine ever since.

I didn't have this issue on the other two vehicles because the run for the conduit was fairly straight.

So, in closing, I am very satisfied with the ReadyBrake as it works very well.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:48 PM   #10

Another satisfied user, two years and 15,000 miles. Happy, happy, happy!
In Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 10:03 AM   #11
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
The only problem I have had with mine was self inflicted.
Old 05-25-2018, 02:38 PM   #12

Joe,(MS Happy Campers) I just saw this earlier post re: Redi-brake...you and others gave it great reviews...I was ready to order a Blue-Ox system (3400.00) and saw this...are you still happy with it? I found dealer about 1 1/2 hrs from me and am getting quote next week...looking online it should be lower installed...right? Dealer gave it excellent rating plus does other brands as well...am I missing something?

ps I changed my profile but it didn't change to TOAD 2007 JP Wrangler JK Sahara
Old 05-25-2018, 05:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE UP View Post
Yep
Ran the "Ready Brake" for quite a few years 'till I wore it out. Then, I migrated over to the M&G Brake system. But, the Ready Brake is a good unit. The companies instructions for install and some of the components are too sloppy and hoaky for me so, I did some modifications which made the system about twice as easy to adjust etc. And, the way I installed it, it was not PERMANENTLY installed on the brake pedal arm. The cable was laying under the floor mat until it was needed. When it came time to hook things up, all the wife did was reach under the floor mat, grab the cable end and, place it on a pin that I pressed into the brake arm. A small clip was then inserted in a hole in the end of the pin which locked the cable to the pin, done.

I used a marine stainless steel turn buckle for the actuation cable adjustment between the tow vehicle and toad. WAAAAAAY SERIOUSLY easier to adjust and, looks WAAAAY better.
Scott
X2
Vato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 03:21 AM   #14

Another vote for ready I've been using for 5 years and 3 different vehicles and no complaint, I need to do the turn buckle upgrade but other than that nothing. And also customer service is top notch

Poohbear7278 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake