Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-24-2012, 04:32 AM   #1

Remco drive shaft coupling

I`m just getting started RV-ing
and am looking at this drive shaft
DE - coupler.
I`ve been in the machine/tool trade
for 42+ yrs as a Tool&Die maker.
Even made flight crew space junk for NASA for 12 yrs.
But from the little I can see, this coupling
does not seem very lateral supportive.
(bearing wise).
Does someone have experience with this product ?
pros and cons

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-24-2012, 05:57 AM   #2

Remco drive shaft coupling

I am a metal fabricator by trade, I have also used one for many years and miles. It is very well built and so simple. We have never had a problem with ours. The key to successiville operation is just oil the slide coupler at least twice a year,and NOT with WD40. Use something that will stay! When I sold the vehicle that had it installed, I removed it and kept it for future use on something else. I have talked to several people that has it and it ranges to hate to love it! I honestly believe it is how it is used and understood. I refuse to pay the thousands of dollars for a 4x4 that can be flat towed, when I don't need a 4x4.

Old 03-24-2012, 06:48 AM   #3

We've had one on our 07 Toyota 2wd rwd FJ Cruiser for 2 yrs. It works good. We have towed the vehicle roughly 10k miles and driven the vehicle under its own power roughly 35k miles without a problem. I spray it with a graphite/acetone product from HomeDepot 2 times a yr.

We hope this helps
Old 03-24-2012, 07:18 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ours is 5 years old and working fine. I clean and lube it twice a year with dry silicone spray including the cable.
Balancing the driveshaft is critical as well as fine tunning for ease of operation.
az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2012, 09:07 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I don't have one but I read like a fish swims (A whole lot) and a lot of what I read is about modifying vehicles for 4-down towing, including the drive shaft disconnect.

There are several possible issues. MOST OF THEM ARE Not with the hardware but rather with the wetware (The people who install and use).

I have heard of a couple that were bad.

I have heard of vibration issues with them.. Turns out you need to have the driveshaft balanced during, or right after, installation, they are not factory balanced. Skip this and they may vibrate.

I have heard of cable issues (Cables seizing up) This is a lack of proper lubrication on the cable.

I have heard of ONE.. Just ONE.. that woud not stay engaged or properly disengage, I believe this was a poor installation from what the poster said (He and I chat a lot about many thigns).

But based on the number of them out there, I would say the "Satisified customer" ratio is well over 90% WELL OVER. In short it's a good product and I'd not hesitate to install or have one installed if (and when) I get a ride needing one.
Old 03-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #6

Thanks all
I think I`ll be giving this a try.
I also further found out that;
Super Flow bought out the drive shaft
part of Renco and a different company
bought out the auto-trans oilier part.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post

I have heard of ONE.. Just ONE.. that woud not stay engaged or properly disengage, I believe this was a poor installation from what the poster said.

But based on the number of them out there, I would say the "Satisified customer" ratio is well over 90% WELL OVER. In short it's a good product and I'd not hesitate to install or have one installed if (and when) I get a ride needing one.
Well, there has to be one dissenting voice.
Had one installed on my S-10 several years ago. First trip out, part of the linkage fell off. Remco sent a replacement to Monterey, CA, which I had to pay for, plus shipping.
Never could get the remote actuator to work right. Finally just crawled under the truck to actuate and disconnect. Now tow a Jeep Liberty.
BUT, I think the original installation MAY have been the problem, as the quoted poster said.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:57 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I installed one on my 2000 Jimmy in 2003. Have over 80k miles on Jimmy and about 10k of that while being towed. I purchased the unit from a dealer and installed it myself. Other than installing the pull cable wrong and having to purchase a new one, I have never had any problem with the unit. I lube the unit with silicone spray before each trip, 2 or 3 times a year.

George
cvrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 02:16 PM   #9

I just recently purchased a used one from a gentleman who had it on 2 different GMC vans and had great sucess wirh it. He used it for over 50,000 miles and it still looks like new. I plan to install it in a 71 GMC pickup and just today put the truck up on the lift and looked at the mounting of the shifter. It's about as micky mouse as you can get so the end result will be determined by the patience and skill of your installer. The mechanism is simple and durable but the shifter fork must be centered on all planes with the sliding sleve. If you don't have 100% faith in your installer find another one.