Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Toads and Motorhome Related Towing
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-26-2010, 10:04 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Remco Drive Shaft Disconnect Question.

I have a '99 Winnie Ultimate Freedom that my wife and I are planning on retiring to Full-Time in February. Also have an '08 Didge Nitro STD 2WD that I am considering putting a Remco disconnect system on so it can be towed 4 wheels down. With This I am considering the Blue-Ox tow bar. Can anyone shed some light on what other accfessories that would be a "must have" fot this to work? We are Newbies at this and I don't want to make any unneccesary mistakes.

free2wander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-26-2010, 10:18 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would recomend a braking system for the toad and of course you will need lights. The remco disconnect on our toad works great. I did the installation myself and it does take some fine tuning when installed to get it to engage smoothly.

az bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:22 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Ditto az bound. A braking system is a must have.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #4

We towed a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2WD automatic behind out 1999 diesel Chieftain using a Remco drive shaft disconnect, blue ox base plate, Aventa LX tow bar, diodes for lighting the toad, and U S Gear's Unified Tow Brake with breakaway. We used this setup for two years until we traded the Chieftain in on a new 2008 Tour in April 2009. We moved the tow bar to the Tour and the braking system and continue to tow the Jeep. We have put about 22,000 miles on this setup between the two coaches and have had no problems. It wasn't cheap but I have no doubt it is one of the safest setups out there. No boxes to take in and out of the toad and it takes all of about 5 minutes to hook up and depart. Good luck.
Old 09-26-2010, 03:51 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Well you have the first two, Tow bar and drive shaft disconnect

Brake system (US Gear Unified Brake Decelerator, M&G, Air force 1,, I do not recommend systems like the Even Brake and Brake Buddy.. Ready brake is a good one though.

(I do not recommend the "Brake in a box" system because you have to INSTALL them every time you tow)

And "Tow lights" or a diode kit for the towed's tail/stop/turn lights.
Old 09-26-2010, 11:00 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
If you have room behind the tail light modules, install separate bulb sockets. It avoids having to deal with the diodes and absolutely avoids any possible problems with the factory light circuits. We have an Air Force One brake. I use a six wire pigtail between the toad and coach so I was able to wire the brake activation light to the dash in the motorhome. It works extremely well and is easy to hook up when you are ready to roll. Our disconnect has been flawless with an occasional cleaning and lube.
Submustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 06:25 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
If you have more than one toad as we do you may want to go with the Brake Buddy as opposed to having to purchase two uints. Takes a little longer to hook up but works fine.
Old 09-27-2010, 07:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Brake for toad a must..

US Gear, Air Force 1 or M&G
Old 09-27-2010, 09:53 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by az bound View Post
If you have more than one toad as we do you may want to go with the Brake Buddy as opposed to having to purchase two uints. Takes a little longer to hook up but works fine.
Question: Have you ever hooked up in order to take the Motor home somewhere close.. say into the dealer for service, and said to yourself: "Oh it is too much trouble to install the Brake Buddy for such a short trip."?

If you have (And most every Brake buddy or it's like owner I've talked to admitted he or she has)

Then.. Sell it or scrap it and get a US-Gear, M&G or Air Force 1 as several (myself included) have recommended.
Old 09-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Question: Have you ever hooked up in order to take the Motor home somewhere close.. say into the dealer for service, and said to yourself: "Oh it is too much trouble to install the Brake Buddy for such a short trip."?

If you have (And most every Brake buddy or it's like owner I've talked to admitted he or she has)

Then.. Sell it or scrap it and get a US-Gear, M&G or Air Force 1 as several (myself included) have recommended.
No never have; But then I am retired and no longer living in the fast lane. If you are concerned about your safety and that of others whats 5 min. ?
Or if you have three choises of toads as I do you would have to purchase and install three seperate units,one for each toad.
I would buy the system that suits my needs.
Old 09-27-2010, 11:15 AM   #11
gg

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Disconnect system works well for us. does make a slight noise I can hear when I drive the toad at low speed no radio windows up. 16,000 miles towed and 15,000 driven.
DIY

1. inspect the new shaft for bearing asm runout in the disconnect mode before install. IF welding is not concentric send it back.

2. did not need the have the shaft balanced

3. did tweek the diff mounting bracket for better fit up

4. used a 6 wire plug system with the US Gear

5. installed light bulbs in tail lights of toad with new wire harness.
Old 09-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #12

Some of you have mentioned some difficulties engaging the drive shaft with the Drive Shaft Disconnect. How does the unit operate if you encounter conditions like dust, mud, snow or slush. I would not be a happy camper if I have to crawl underneat the toad to remove ice or mud on the unit in order to drive away with the toad.

This is a great concern of mine and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Gaetan Lavoie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:29 PM   #13

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaetan Lavoie View Post
Some of you have mentioned some difficulties engaging the drive shaft with the Drive Shaft Disconnect. How does the unit operate if you encounter conditions like dust, mud, snow or slush. I would not be a happy camper if I have to crawl underneat the toad to remove ice or mud on the unit in order to drive away with the toad.

This is a great concern of mine and your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
I have run into both those situations. Had ice on the mechanism in BC while there on a hunting trip, would not dis-engege got out the de-icer and sprayed it down, problem solved.
Had it packed with mud while 4 wheeling around Ouray CO. Same situation,would not dis-engage. Got out the garden hose and sprayed it down, problem solved.
I have never had a problem getting it to engage after towing but it could happen. I towed the explorer over 65 miles of partially frozen muddy dirt road in BC and had no problem getting it to engage.
In neither case did I have to crawl under the vehicle.

Tags
4 wheels down towing, blue ox, dodge nitro, remco disconnect